Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Traitor Tank company
Old 03 Dec 2007, 20:25   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Traitor Tank company

My first question is the armoured company list still legal? If it is I am planning on making it themed blood pact. The Urdesh tanks is the look I'm going to try to get across but before I go spend the money on a bunch of tanks I got a few questions. What units should I take? Do you need infantry? And thanks for everyone who helps me.
They hide their faces in snarling iron, but the cruelty, in their hearts is manifest in their brutal deeds. We are lost, and we are done. May the God-Emperor forgive our failure and protect our souls.
-last transmission of General DeLestt, Urdesh
Anarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Dec 2007, 20:53   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Traitor Tank company

Alrighty then...

Amoured Company is still avalible, but not Tournament Legal. If possible, I would suggest the IA1 Armoured Battlegroup list. It is far superior.

You should try to take a good number of tanks, though this is a matter of choice... You don't really need infantry, though it can be useful for taking objectives. Infantry is one of the strengths of the IA1 list- they are troops, not Fast Attack.

I would suggest, if possible, getting IA1. If it's out of your price range, just get the original AC list. Try out some tank styles and maybe play a game on VASSAL or proxy if you can. They are both very adaptable and customizeable lists, so it depends on what you like.
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Dec 2007, 21:28   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Hoarday

I don't really see how the Battegroup is necessarily Superior than the Armoured Company. I would say that they're different definately, but I'd hardly consider the Battlegroup to be wholeheartedly better.

Firstly: Who cares if you can take Armoured Fist Squads as Troop Choices? You don't play a list like that to field a bunch of chimeras. I could do that in the guard codex already. Tank lists are there so you can field absurd numbers of Leman Russes.

Secondly: The "Aces" and command tanks aren't as good as the ones available to an AC. The AC commander get the improved comms as well as the BS upgrade, and they cost the same in both lists. The "aces" in the battlegroup are exactly the same as a regular tank...yet they cost an extra X amount of points. Sure, the AC aces are more expensive, but at least that Vanquisher's going to be hitting more often.

The battlegroup's only real advantages over the company is that it has more access to forgeworld units and fields vanquishers as troop choices and access to fliers. It's a list meant for people with huge numbers of forgeworld models. The Ace crew skills are also decent.

If you play to each list's strengths I'd say there evenish, but the Armoured Company has always seemed a more practical choice to me.

EDIT: In response to the question on infantry: Neither list requires you to take infantry in any way shape or form, although you have the option to do so.
Old 03 Dec 2007, 21:59   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

The reason I want an armored company army is for apocalypse to help my chaos marines. The tournament legally only matters to me because I want to use this list in a apocalypse army but I don't have the rules so I don't know the details of apocalypse and I had a baneblade for a while.
They hide their faces in snarling iron, but the cruelty, in their hearts is manifest in their brutal deeds. We are lost, and we are done. May the God-Emperor forgive our failure and protect our souls.
Old 03 Dec 2007, 22:10   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarch
The reason I want an armored company army is for apocalypse to help my chaos marines. The tournament legally only matters to me because I want to use this list in a apocalypse army but I don't have the rules so I don't know the details of apocalypse and I had a baneblade for a while.
Well the Force Organisation Chart and unit restrictions have gone out the window for Apocalypse, so don't worry about putting together a legal army list; it no longer matters.

I agree with Hoarday about the Armoured Company list. Without a doubt, the AC is the 'stronger' list, offering doctrines that can be utterly battle-winning when used in moderation. But the Armoured Battlegroup is cheaper and more diverse, thus allowing you to field more tanks and of a wider variety. The key advantage of the Armoured Battlegroup is its access to air power, which is definitely a hell of an advantage. Properly applied air power is terrifying to behold. None of this matters of course if you plan only to use this army for Apocalype games; you can just take whatever units you want.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Dec 2007, 22:31   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Well I guess I'll make an armoured company anyways just for fun. Should I go all tanks? Is infantry a good idea as storm troopers or armoured fist squads?
Old 03 Dec 2007, 22:40   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarch
Well I guess I'll make an armoured company anyways just for fun. Should I go all tanks? Is infantry a good idea as storm troopers or armoured fist squads?
Infantry serve no purpose in an Armoured Company. The most effective lists are the ones that field obscene numbers of tanks. But if you want a couple for fluff purposes, if you just really like the unit, then go for it! You can have a lot of fun focusing your customisation efforts on a small detachment of Grenadiers. The type of infantry unit doesn't really matter to be honest. You certainly don't need another heavy weapon on the table, but the Storm Troopers' armour will count as nothing because every heavy bolter in your opponent's army will be focused on them the moment the first boot hits the dirt. Stormies do kinda feel right though, what with them being elite troops. Plus, they also come with frag grenades and an extra special weapon slot, which makes them slightly more useful for clearing entrenched infantry from an objective. Their carapace armour will likely help in assaults also. It's your call, but there's not really much in it.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Dec 2007, 22:41   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

AC may be stronger, but since he said "Themed" i'd figure I'd recommend the Battlegroup list.
Old 03 Dec 2007, 22:56   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Hoarday

Sorry, I assumed you meant stronger when you said it was a "far superior" list.
Old 03 Dec 2007, 23:46   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Oh, no, you were in the right to assume that. I just tend to like versatility, fluffiness, and customizeability. I should have specified.