Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

HW crews and their base
Old 02 Dec 2007, 06:44   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via ICQ to Xeran Van Houten Send a message via AIM to Xeran Van Houten Send a message via MSN to Xeran Van Houten
Default HW crews and their base

Hopefully this is the proper place for this as is doesn't really fit in the conversion section in my mind...

Ok, so we all know that the IG Heavy Weapons squad box comes with the big 50mm (I think... might be 60mm...) base and that it tells you to put both team members on the base, however it can also be seen from various places that crews can be based separately with the weapon also separate, or one member and the weapon on a large or medium base and the 2nd member separate.

Are all these methods acceptable or are some of them considered "cheese" and cause me to receive undo grief every time I pull them out?
Are any of them more practical or pragmatic than the others?
Old 02 Dec 2007, 14:55   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: HW crews and their base

What comes in the box are just models to represent what you find in the army list. There are certain unspoken conventions such as always basing Terminator size models on the medium size round base, and all other infantry models on the small round base, but there's nothing to say heavy weapons must be on the base they come with. The codex says two Guardsmen may form a heavy weapon team, but it says nothing about them being based together. There's nothing wrong with putting them on seperate small round bases if you want. Putting both on one base though (and possibly magnetising the second man) keeps them contained and easy to transport without risk of breaking them.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Dec 2007, 15:24   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

And theres nothing that says you have to guse standerd GW bases, I've seen heavy weapons based on a combined 40mm and 25mm base, it was pretty wierd, but cool!
Old 02 Dec 2007, 15:34   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Yeah I don't think you have to put them on the large bases. I mount my missile launcher teams separately (a 40mm base and a 25 mm base) and I haven't gotten any complaints. It just makes the models easier to position.
TB
Old 02 Dec 2007, 16:39   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Hoarday

I always put heavy weapon teams on small bases when I can, makes them easier to hide in cover. The only ones I use big bases for are the original steel leion weapons, just because you can't leave those weapons seperate.
Old 02 Dec 2007, 20:23   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via ICQ to Xeran Van Houten Send a message via AIM to Xeran Van Houten Send a message via MSN to Xeran Van Houten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
Putting both on one base though (and possibly magnetising the second man) keeps them contained and easy to transport without risk of breaking them.
Yeah, that's what I did to the ones I have. Magnetizing the second guy on the large bases that came with the box.

Thanks everyone for your input. I appreciate it.
If a mod wants they can lock this now.
Old 02 Dec 2007, 20:32   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

I keep em seperate, but its hard to mount the weapon on the gunner- especially since I use all 12 weapons from each sprue.
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Dec 2007, 19:23   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

do to an extreme want of heavy weapons when i first started guard I have bought a box of 3 heavy weapon crews and a platoon of men. I the end it ended up as 3 mortar teams, 2 Heavy Bolter teams, an Auto Cannon crew, and 3 Las Cannon Crews. I used LOTR horse bases (i believe 40mm) for the weapon and one man and a 25mm for the reloader.

dyk.themuffinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Dec 2007, 19:42   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Placing them on smaller bases also avoids the inevitable questions from some of your less well-read opponents about removing whole bases whenever possible. Personally, except for missile launchers which obviously must be attached to the model, I mount my weapon on one base, the gunner on another, and the loader on a third.

It works well and allows for more customization at less cost.

Droofus is offline   Reply With Quote