Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Vulture Loadout
Old 29 Nov 2007, 21:19   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Vulture Loadout

I plan on soon buying/converting myself a wing of Vultures and Valkyries fo a drop contingent to my tank company, and I've got just a couple 'a questions for all of you:

1- What is, would you say, the standard weaponry loadout for a Vulture?

2- What are the weapons you can give a Vulture?

3- What are good Vulture Tactias? (and Valkyries)

Thank you very much.
Shorelineviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Nov 2007, 21:47   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Vulture Loadout

There is no standard armament for the Vulture; it depends what role you want it to fill. As with tanks, it's easy to trick it out with more than it needs, but if you consider its purpose and arm it accordingly (and budget consciously) then you can make the most of it without wasting points. Here's my breakdown of the weapons options as I view them:

TL Autocannons: You know Autocannons, they do it all. They do it better on a flyer because you can generally ensure your shots are directed against side armour (or rear if you're feeling daring). They're cheap; effective against almost all vehicles; and still of use when mopping up infantry.

TL Lascannons: Barring the copious application of meltabombs, there are few better ways to ensure the smackdown is well and truly delivered than a Twin-Linked lascannon shot to the rear armour. They're more expensive, but if you want the final say where enemy tanks are concerned, then Lascannons are your friend. Their high strength makes Land Raiders and Monoliths a viable targets too.

TL Missile launchers: In the case of infantry heavy weapons, the missile launcher is the budget AT option, but the Vulture missile launcher is the same price as the Lascannons! This weapon essentially trades in AT capability and AP value for a frag option you'll never use. If you're playing against a horde army then you're better off with multilasers anyway. There is no reason to take missile launchers except for the fact they look damn cool.

TL Multi-lasers: The budget weapon of choice for fighting Tyranids. They havn't the AP value to snuff out better protected troops, but they can still merrily murder Gaunts while having the Strength to harm tougher beasties if need be. Also works well against most mechanised armies where AV10 is in abundance and easily accessible.

TL Multiple-rocket pods: Criminally overrated. People look at the option to mount four of these and are wowed by the notion of eight blast templates. The reality is a fair bit different to the romantic imagery people have of a hovering spectre of death pouring streams of fragmentation rockets into the enemy. Unfortunately, even given the Vulture's elevated firing position, multiple rocket pods are not barrage weapons; so at BS3 you've got to count on half of them missing entirely and being wasted. That leaves you with what amounts to four mortar hits without the benefit of pinning. If you consider that each template will realistically only cover one model and partially cover two more, then that can then be rationalised again as the equivilent of eight Heavy Stubber hits. Maybe they'd be of use against the most tightly packed of Gaunts, but they're not worth it for the price you'll have to pay. To make things worse, their short range means you'll have to get in close to use them. Avoid like the plague.

Heavy bomb racks: With the 'Death from the Skies' optional rules (found in IA3), these bombs are king. They will slay anything. What's more, you can drop more than one at a time. If you are so inclined, you can drop them all at once and create a barrage of six strength 10 pie plates! I did this once; it was both satisfying and effective - One Leman Russ, one Chimera, one Hellhound and six Storm troopers were lost in the conflagration. Even with vanilla rules, these are great for tearing chunks out of swarms and can very easily destroy entire Storm Trooper squads in one go. Whether or not you upgrade to Smart bombs is up to you; but it's more of a luxury than a necessity. If you drop three at once on a tank, you can pretty much be assured of its destruction no matter where it scatters anyway (on account of the barrage template placement rules). Don't be afraid to drop three simultaneously as in all likelihood you will only get about three turns of shooting out of your flier anyway. It might fail to arrive from reserve in the first place, you might get the second turn, it might fail a second strike roll, it might be shaken for a turn, or even shot down! Make your points back when you can.

Hunter-killer missile racks: Their unlimited range sometimes makes it possible to get a risk-free rear armour shot your opponent never saw coming. Another advantage of missile racks is that they can be loosed as a oner, just like bombs. If you're using vanilla weapon rules, these make a good alternative to heavy bombs if you want to be really sure of destroying an enemy vehicle as quickly as possible. Obviously, they struggle against AV14, but get that rear armour shot and let loose with all six and you're onto a winner.

Hellstrike missiles: The poor man's Hunter-killer. Slightly improved in IA3, but still doesn't begin to compete with the other AT options available. They're dead cheap though, so they might be worth considering if you find yourself with some left over points but can't afford a proper hard point option.

[hr]

As for Valkyries, remember that you move after your opponent and that troops are deployed in your opponent's turn, after his shooting phase. This means that, assuming your Valkyrie survives the fire directed at it, when your turn comes around, those troops will be at full strength and free to behave normally, meaning they can fire heavy weapons, move, assault or whatever. This gives you great scope to plonk them down somewhere they can inflict horrendous punishment. For example, you can rope in hardened veterans with plasma guns little over 12" away from an expensive squad of Terminators, then advance and hose them down with rapid fire. Given that the enemy's range is reduced by 12" for the purposes of shooting at flyers, your Valkyrie can avoid most fire from the ground while still putting troops where they are needed. Similarly, you can deploy flamer armed special weapons squads to deliver massive hurt to swarms, or heavy weapons squads in an advatageous position overlooking key enemy vehicles. There are many evil purposes you can put a Valkyrie to, you just have to know the rules, use your imagination and be a little bit daring. As they say; who dares wins...or gets ruthlessly splattered about by concentrated automatic weapons fire. But I think it's possible for you to win, even if the latter is true for your troops. They're Guardsmen...they're expendable. :P
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Nov 2007, 21:59   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Give that man a Karma! I second everything he says. Very very good units, and very customizable. If you have the money, go for it!
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Nov 2007, 01:22   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

wow... thanks!

one follow-up question, what's the best squad size, i was thinking either two or three, but i'd like some input. thank you!
Shorelineviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Nov 2007, 02:50   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

JD's already given Tom his cookie.
Old 30 Nov 2007, 06:46   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorelineviking
wow... thanks!

one follow-up question, what's the best squad size, i was thinking either two or three, but i'd like some input. thank you!
Squad size? If you mean squadron size, then fliers don't operate as squadrons in 40k (leastwise not on the tabletop), but two Vultures and three Valkyries is pretty much the most you should field in a 2000 point game.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 30 Nov 2007, 19:31   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Speaking of which, how much is a "wing"?
Old 30 Nov 2007, 19:41   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGator
Speaking of which, how much is a "wing"?
A Vulture attack squadron normally consists of three machines, while a Valkyrie transport squadron typically comprises six aircraft. This will of course vary on the platoon size. If there are only four infantry squads in a platoon, then only five Valkyries will be required. I expect any heavy equipment is most likely transported in the command squad's aircraft and flung out before they jump. This is pure speculation however.
Old 30 Nov 2007, 19:56   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Ah, I see. Thanks, Tom.