Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

gue'vesa?
Old 22 Nov 2007, 00:08   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default gue'vesa?

Hi guys, I'm a relatively new tau player and am trying to expand my army. I always liked guard (but not as much as tau :P) and I want to add gue'vesa to my army. But I am not sure it is a good idea. I have only played against guard once or twice and my opponent used alot of tanks, and few troops. So I was hoping you guys could answer some questions for me and give me your opinions.

What are guardsmen squads good for?

How effective are lasguns?

Would they work well with a tau army?

What could guardsmen do that firewarriors couldn't do better?

Cheers and thanks in advance! You might start seeing me on these boardsif I end up likeing gue'vesa, I am goin to start a gue'vesa guard.
yosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Nov 2007, 00:34   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: gue'vesa?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosh

Would they work well with a tau army?

1. They are good for numbers
2. Lasguns effective? only if you have numbers.
3. They wont work very well with a mech tau army that is based on every unit moving 12"+ a turn but in a static army they can add an extra wall of meat.
4. They are a cheap way to bring on lots of numbers for a defensive line. Or if your crazy enough and give them EMP grenades they become a cheap but effective anti-vehicle suicide/surprise squad. That will only work a few times before they learn the trick and watch for gue'vesa.

If you are wondering I play tau and guard armies, even so I still rarely take Gue'vesa since my tau focus on mobility that the guard can only dream off. Thats not to say they dont work in the right spots though.
ZaruTal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Nov 2007, 00:43   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
I want to add gue'vesa to my army
Don´t... seriously, don´t.

Quote:
Do you mean Guardsmen or Gue´vesa. Quite a difference honestly. The guardsmen can take heavy and special weapons which makes them viable. Gue´vesa cannot.

Quote:
I suppose you know the rules and that a lasgun is S3 rapidfire. That should be quite obvious...

Quote:
Guardsmen can carry heavy and special weapons, but as I already mentioned Gue´ vesa cannot. So firewarriors are always the better choice.

But compare them rather to kroot. For +1 pt a Kroot has a better ranged weapon, better WS, and 2 CC-Weapons. Then add the fieldcraft and infiltration rules into the equation and bingo.

Gue´vesa are stupidly designed to begin with. The reason would be that the "developers" did not put much effort in it, so they made them rather useless.

Well, some people may claim that Gue´vesa would be a good way to get cheap markerlights, but let me assure you that markerlights are not worth the points invested.

In conclusion: If you want gue´vesa play IG. "Count as" is the key. Adding the gue´vesa squads to your tau army is completely unnecessary and will do no good.

Greetz, Trogdor

[WHFB] Dwarfs
9 victorious slaughters/ 7wins/ 5 draws/ 7 losses

[WH40k] Tau
17victorious slaughters/ 10wins/ 2draw/ 1 loss
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Nov 2007, 01:28   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

You make a good point Trogdor, and I knew about lasguns. I just hoped there was some reason I could incorporate gue'vesa into my army. Thank goodness for apocalypse. I really want to combine the mech of IG and the mech of Tau, and if possible the mech of Eldar.

Could anyone point me to some house rules for gue'vesa maybe?
Old 22 Nov 2007, 01:38   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Yaifrog

Gue'vesa actually have Chapter Approved rules. You can find them here.

Anyway, I run two squads of Gue'vesa in my Tau list, and they work wonders for me! They are extremely cheap and effective at drawing enemy fire. You just have to learn how to use them.

By the way, shouldn't this be in the Tau board?
Yaifrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Nov 2007, 04:46   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I wasn't sure, but I decided to put it here to see if any one here did gue'vesa guard.
Old 22 Nov 2007, 05:33   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to Aussie_matu

i can say (from owning 2 squads of gue'vesa) that they are really good units to have as they will allow you to distract the enemy and will have a fair go and fight well, to make them is simple you only need a pack of imperial guard units and spare Tau weapons or transfers it really is easy and worth it!.

you can download the rules and points for them here * you must bring this sheet with you every time you use them*
http://us.games-workshop.com/games/4...uxiliaries.htm

Aussie_matu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Nov 2007, 06:10   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

They are good, cheap meatbags to use as targets, expendable ML support, and as an added bonus, they suck less in melee than tau. Not that this normally matters much.

The great value is, in case I haven't made it clear enough, that they are cheap. Minimal squads are the order of the day, here, provided you have the force org slots. Don't expect much from the flashlights, but note that a gue'vsa with a pulse weapon costs 1pt less than a FW with one, and shoots exactly the same. IE, take them. Rifles combo especially well with flashlights, as with two rapid fire weapons, they're used similarly.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote