Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Carapace Armour - any good?
Old 20 Nov 2007, 03:49   #1 (permalink)
Cal
Shas'Ui

Default Carapace Armour - any good?

Well looking through the doctrines in the IG codex, I know I want my force to be well trained and have more of an emphasis on human lives than other regiments. I'm thinking so far my force will be more a system defence force rather than getting shipped around the galaxy continuously (as they are from the edge of the Tau Empire it isn't that hard to imagine they'd have defenders stationed there). They have a pride in their military forces and the Veterans are particularly honoured.
So I definitely want to take both Sharpshooters (training) and Iron Discipline (training of officers, loyalty from troops) as well as possibly unlocking some specific units. I'm also considering Close Order Drill (to further represent training and drills in fighting) but I'll decide on that later (I know some people don't like the use that doctrine gets).

Anyway, I'm considering Carapace to represent better equipment and higher emphasis on the lives of the soldiers (it makes sense to keep them alive longer if you have spent a lot of time training them). So now that you know why I'm considering it, I want to ask; is it at all worth it? Looking at it, it only costs about 2 points a model and if going by the cost in the armoury, you get one free carapace armour in your command squads. I was surprised to see exactly how much I spent on it though in a 1000 point list (where I couldn't afford a Russ) and by trading it off, I could easily afford a Russ or other unit.

So is it worth it or is it better buying something else? (I'm planning a static line up where I'll probably be spread around in a defensive position)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comissar Gaunt to an unknown Fortis Binary trooper
"Hold Fast!"
"They're killing us!"
"So kill them back!"
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Nov 2007, 17:01   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Carapace Armour - any good?

From a fluff and look stand point it'd make for a really nice looking force with good background. From a gaming perspective you'll be better off with out the carapace. Originally for my drop troops I fielded every model with carapace but then I tried just fielding the elite portions with carapace & I managed another full sentinel squad and the extra fire power had been invaluable.

Acts of Faith - I choose to ignore your reality and substitute my own...for the Emperor.

Glory for the first man to die! CHARGE!
trex238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Nov 2007, 17:05   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

No. In my opinion, it's not worth it. It offers decent protection from most small arms, but small arms don't make up the principle offensive threat in most armies. Generally speaking, the mainstay of most armies' firepower normally comes in the form of heavy and special weapons. Those that are designed for an anti-infantry role are typically AP4 or better. Put simply, there are too many heavy bolters and autocannons out there to make carapace armour effective.

Don't get me wrong, a carapace armoured army is still playable, but a key advantage of the Imperial Guard is its ability to field two or three times as many models as your opponent. Taking carapace armour is going to severely impact the number of models you can put out there, and truth be told, they won't really match that handicap in terms of survivability.

If it's part of your fluff then do it! Just don't be deluded into thinking it'll make your army 'better'.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Nov 2007, 17:34   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

No. It is not worth it in game terms. In fluff, sure! But in game terms, it will not save your guardsmen. I played a game when I was equal numbers with sisters of battle because of carapace. That is never a good thing.
Old 20 Nov 2007, 21:56   #5 (permalink)
Cal
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malus Trux
Originally for my drop troops I fielded every model with carapace but then I tried just fielding the elite portions with carapace & I managed another full sentinel squad and the extra fire power had been invaluable.
How do you mean? Buying Carapace Armour for sergeants and officers?

Well I seem to be getting the impression that it is not that useful in gaming terms but that that shouldn't deter me from my background. I probably won't go with it then and I'll be able to replace it with another training doctrine or possibly unlock another unit.
I wasn't quite sure how eager I was to give them all Carapace Armour anyway with all the extra modelling (and no experience), and I also quite like the cloth areas that seem to break up the model...

Thanks for the input people!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comissar Gaunt to an unknown Fortis Binary trooper
"Hold Fast!"
"They're killing us!"
"So kill them back!"
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Nov 2007, 22:22   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

If you buy Cadian models, then no work is needed. The models are armed with carapace armour.

Since your army is so 'trained' why not get the veteran doctrine? Three squads of tooled up vets used in the proper situations can win you a game, and be much more worthwhile than carapace.

Just remember. If an enemy wants to take you down, he will.
Old 20 Nov 2007, 22:22   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Well, carapace is useful for some armies, such as Tau, but Guardsmen are only armed with lasguns. They will have their moments of glory, but the majority of the time, you're sweeping your models off the table into buckets. :P

Is it really worth keeping a squad alive for one more turn if there Lasgun's won't do much anyway?
Old 20 Nov 2007, 22:32   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lest we forget, those who have fallen.
If you buy Cadian models, then no work is needed. The models are armed with carapace armour
Really... I thought they called that FLAK or MESH armor. Carapace armor is what Storm troopers and Kasrkin wear.
Old 20 Nov 2007, 22:42   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

This is how I look at it. Look at the cadian model. Than look at the cadian doctrines. What is this? Cadians have carapace armour? Look at the model. It fits in nicely.
Old 20 Nov 2007, 22:49   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lest we forget, those who have fallen.
This is how I look at it. Look at the cadian model. Than look at the cadian doctrines. What is this? Cadians have carapace armour? Look at the model. It fits in nicely.
I think I've said this before, but if you open your codex before you open your mouth, you will look less stupid. Cadians don't have the carapace armour doctrine. :
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote