Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Effective weapons, units and tactics against sisters?
Old 20 Nov 2007, 01:17   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Effective weapons, units and tactics against sisters?

Hey all. I played my first four games of imperial guard against my friends sisters of battle. I lost two, and another by the smallest of margins, and drawed the forth.

I used mainly veterans (For the smaller battles) and found that shotguns would not work well against the Nunz. The autocannon proved well enough in immobilizing the immolator (Flame tank) but failed in hurting the sistesr. Sure, the two high strength shots are nice, but the 3+ save works against this. However, when I used more heavy bolters, my luck began to turn.

So, more dice the better?

I also found that the stormtroopers had less survivability than my veterans! Not a good unit for me. My ratlings (Used 'em once) never did anything. 2 to hit, 4 to wind, 3+ to save... Not going to be used again.

Mortar: Two of these killed a plasma cannon gun servitor after about four turns of accurate guessing on my part! Yuck.

And I think I am going against the grain here, but I like the grenade launcher! Two of these helped me force the draw. We were playing an 'assault' (We built a wall of buildings and I had to get behind the buildings) and these guys killed three of the five survivors on his flank, giving me a unit past the wall.

Any help?

Also, does anyone know how to get autocannons AND heavy bolters off of one sprue? I am missing torsos, tripods and basses. Bitorder? Or is there a better way? Like putting them on terrain or something similar?
Old 20 Nov 2007, 02:18   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Effective weapons, units and tactics against sisters?

You do know that you don't need to actually guess for mortars.
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Nov 2007, 02:23   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
I used mainly veterans (For the smaller battles) and found that shotguns would not work well against the Nunz. The autocannon proved well enough in immobilizing the immolator (Flame tank) but failed in hurting the sistesr. Sure, the two high strength shots are nice, but the 3+ save works against this. However, when I used more heavy bolters, my luck began to turn.
I would use some meltaguns/plasmaguns to help punch through that 3+ save. A veteran squad with shotguns, 3x meltaguns, and a veteran sergeant with a powerfist can really mess up some nuns at close range. But, if you are lacking in the special weapon area (they do get quite expensive points and money wise) I would go with quantity over quality i.e Heavybolters over Autocannons. Both will wound the girls on a 2+, but the heavybolter puts out more shots for less points! A Chimera with Heavybolter, Multi-laser, and Heavystubber can put the hurt on a sister squad at 36". Well out of their major antitank minus the exorcist. So take that out quickly!
Old 20 Nov 2007, 02:28   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Plasma guns and pretty much any tanks because most IG tanks are AP3 and could insta-kill practicly everybody, for there tanks las cannons could fry all of them cause there all low armour value, shotguns should do alright against them to if you use them as S4
Old 20 Nov 2007, 03:50   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Hoarday

Missile launchers, Meltas and plasmaguns are your friends in these battles as they can tear through ANYTHING a pure Sisters army can throw at you. Heavy bolters and the good 'ol chimera are also solid weapons against sisters too, since if you can't ignore the armour, you might as well pound them with enough ammo to make 'em fail a few saves.

On the multiple heavy weapons idea: you make the weapons swappable. It's pretty easy to do, just don't glue all the parts of the gun together and put the crew on their own 2.5mm bases. Not only does this give an option between autocannon, lascannon and heavy bolter, but it also makes the models smaller and easier to hide away.
Old 20 Nov 2007, 14:14   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Last time I checked mortars were GUESS 48. So I suppose that means you must guess the range?

That's a fine idea about swapping them, and might do it for my next three (glued three of my six, but I know I will always have 2 autocannons and 1 heavy bolter, so no bigee) But I mean using more together, in the same game. I know if I do not field any lascannons I am going to face some little kid with land raiders....

Yeah, I am thinking of having an armoured fist squad (Or hell, a mounted veteran squad) with meltas and the chimera has HB's all around.

Hey yeah, veterans can have three meltas! That's some nasty, mobile fire right there.

Thanks guys.
Old 20 Nov 2007, 14:21   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

The guard codex was printed before the current rulebook. Read your rule book's section on guess (or as it's now called - barrage) weaponry.

Against sisters, I can't recommend plasma weaponry enough. Not only does it go through their armour (unless they use that dang invul save act of faith) but it's also rather good at torching the ubiquitous Rhinos and superb at instant-killing their heroines. Leman Russ tanks are also a good way of hurting them. Take three.

You're on the right track with heavy bolters methinks. You don't feel like you're wasting anything if the sister's save becomes invulnerable and they can also deal with some of the more unusual units that the sisters sometimes field. In a pinch they can also be used against Rhinos.

I would pack at least one anti-tank squad to deal with the evil that is the exorcist. Those things always give my tanks a hard time.
Droofus is offline   Reply With Quote