Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Elysians
Old 19 Nov 2007, 00:58   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Elysians

Hello all,
I have been thinking of starting an Imperial Guard army after finishing my Tau (should be happening very soon). While looking through different Regiments, I found the Elysians. But there is no way I can buy a full army of forgeworld models. So, do you think it is viable to buy equipment packs, head, and weapon packs and use them on cadian models?

Also if i do this I might not actually use them as drop troops (even though I most likely will) but just use the models I love.

So what do you think?

They see him rolling,
They hating,
Patroling and trying to fix him with a dark lance,
Trying to fix him with with a dark lance
Fix him with a dark lance,
Try to fix him with a dark lance.

(rap)
Rolling up 'cos I'm a Space Marine,
Heavy armour so it ain't hard to be seen, I ride, ride and they see me lean, Soritas and a TV screen, Yeah the Canoness, she likes cola, Mixed in a stolen drone controller, But then I just try to hold her, One smack and great, I'm in a coma
shashui tarik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Nov 2007, 01:02   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Elysians

you could do that, as for converting i recomend cadians with the resperator pack from FW, if thats to exspensive try battle wagon bits for some bits that are suitable.
Old 19 Nov 2007, 01:16   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

By a head pack I ment resperators. Also would it be fluffy to have tanks and non deepstrikeable units on the field as well and have "elysians" drop in or deploy regularly and say they were met up by a supporting unit?

They see him rolling,
They hating,

(rap)
Heavy armour so it ain't hard to be seen, I ride, ride and they see me lean, Soritas and a TV screen, Yeah the Canoness, she likes cola, Mixed in a stolen drone controller, But then I just try to hold her, One smack and great, I'm in a coma
Old 19 Nov 2007, 01:29   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jingles
By a head pack I ment resperators. Also would it be fluffy to have tanks and non deepstrikeable units on the field as well and have "elysians" drop in or deploy regularly and say they were met up by a supporting unit?
Don't see why not...
Old 19 Nov 2007, 02:05   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

I think it is fine to have infiltrators, or a very small number of standard troops (The deep strikers could be going in to support them or something.) As for vehicles, don't over do it.

However, when I play I either use drop troops (Infantry and sentinels only) as if they are the first wave in a planet scale assault, and if I do not feel like it I use vehicles and stick to my fluff. They met up with the tanks and have pressed on after the initial drop. My tanks are converted so that they carry lots of extra gear (Supplies) and what not, so it fits in.

I use cadians, but converted by my own means. And off topic, a model with the officer head (Well, the Bald head) a flamer backpack and weapon, and a chainsword looks sweet!
Old 19 Nov 2007, 08:10   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Hmm, I do not recall Elysians having respirators...
Should be easy (but not quick) to fully convert Cadians into Elysians though. I'd use greenstuff to model visors (or use visored helmets only), clip off the pauldrons, and again use thin greenstuff to create those quilted pads on their arms and legs. Then, glue some hi-tec looking euipment on them, for example taken from SM sprues, or some random tank parts. The gravchutes could be created from two grenade launchers, but a cube-like greenstuff backpack with some simple tech decorations will do just fine. Furthermore, I'd shorten their lasguns a bit. Use little in the way of belt pouches - they shouldn't be too encumbered. As for creating tripods for their weapons, I don't know yet
Max Smirnov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Nov 2007, 10:33   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Smirnov
Hmm, I do not recall Elysians having respirators...
Should be easy (but not quick) to fully convert Cadians into Elysians though. I'd use greenstuff to model visors (or use visored helmets only), clip off the pauldrons, and again use thin greenstuff to create those quilted pads on their arms and legs. Then, glue some hi-tec looking euipment on them, for example taken from SM sprues, or some random tank parts. The gravchutes could be created from two grenade launchers, but a cube-like greenstuff backpack with some simple tech decorations will do just fine. Furthermore, I'd shorten their lasguns a bit. Use little in the way of belt pouches - they shouldn't be too encumbered. As for creating tripods for their weapons, I don't know yet
To be honest I don't think this is really viable. Greenstuff visors is a stretch in itself, but greenstuff impact pads? Even clipping down the pauldrons on every model is a major task, and making it look natural will be no mean feat.

High tech Space Marine equipment is a great idea though. Auspexes and telescopic scopes (monoculars) are a nice idea. You might consider using clipped down Space Marine backpacks to represent Grav-chutes if money is an issue; itíll probably work out cheaper than buying them en masse from Forge World.

As for reducing their overall weight, I actually think itís important to remember that drop troops must often jump into battle with all they need to last them until they are eventually relieved. Being cut off and surrounded in enemy territory, they canít always rely on effective resupply, and withdrawing to friendly lines is out of the question. Keep them compact certainly (theyíve still got to fit in the Valkyries), but donít scrimp on the equipment and pouches.

If you use weapon/equipment packs and heads from Forge World though, you should bear in mind that the heads look quite small on the bulky Cadian torso, and most Cadian lasguns on the sprue have the supporting hands attached to the weapon, so swapping them out for Elysian Lasguns from the weapon pack will be problematic at best.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Nov 2007, 21:28   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Also, I am thinking of using actual elysians (if i feel like splurging a bit) for my veterans.
Doctrine wise, I am thinking of using special weapon squads, veterans, drop troops (of course) and storm troopers. I know there is a army list in one of the 2 of the IA's but I don't think I am up to buying that.

They see him rolling,
They hating,

(rap)
Old 20 Nov 2007, 22:23   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Besides carapace armour, the doctrines for the Harakoni Warhawks seems perfect for you.
Old 20 Nov 2007, 22:38   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jingles
Also, I am thinking of using actual elysians (if i feel like splurging a bit) for my veterans.
Doctrine wise, I am thinking of using special weapon squads, veterans, drop troops (of course) and storm troopers. I know there is a army list in one of the 2 of the IA's but I don't think I am up to buying that.
There's 5 in all. You'll find the Elysian drop troop list in IA3 and the D-99 Elysian list in IA4. Both are splendid books if you like your fluff (although marred with spelling errors and typos).
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote