Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

air born ground ssult force.
Old 01 Nov 2007, 16:46   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default air born ground ssult force.

Hi,

I was just wondering about my IG army to be, it is based on the UNSC marines from halo 3 and I was just wondering how well 12 pelicans (valkyires) would fair in apocalypse?
I would also need to add a house rule so they can carry a predator like the pelican.
Do you guys think 12 is to many?
What type troops should I use, as max number is 120?
How many gunships?

Hope you guys can help me.

Peace is the reason for war, as to achive peace there must be war.

92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your sig.
Brother_captin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Nov 2007, 17:34   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: air born ground ssult force.

How long is a piece of string? The first person to say "Twice half its length" gets a shoeing. 12 Valkyries is a massive number, but Apocalyspe games are supposed to be massive. You can't just ask if 12 Valkyries is too many, because we don't know what size game you are planning to use them in.

I'm working on the models for a 1500 point Elysian list myself, and I personally think three Valkyries and two Vultures is the very maximum I should consider fielding for a game that size. I don't think I'd want any more in a 2000 point game personally, so it'd have to be a really massive battle to warrant that many Valkyries.

This is all moot however as you will never buy, assemble and paint 12 Valkyries, nor will you convert that many custom models. Bottom line; 12 Valkyries is too many because it's a pipe dream. :P
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Nov 2007, 19:25   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
This is all moot however as you will never buy, assemble and paint 12 Valkyries, nor will you convert that many custom models. Bottom line; 12 Valkyries is too many because it's a pipe dream. :P
this is correct I have a standard guard army and I can't even get around to painting them. Idea's good but application is not well thought out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother_captin
I would also need to add a house rule so they can carry a predator like the pelican.
what do you mean by a predator. The SM tank because you can't really do that. While a razorback would be acceptable for a grenadier army with a halo theme (i.e. warthog). This is only applicable for Apocalypse.

dyk.themuffinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Nov 2007, 20:11   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

In terms of weapon power/type, the Leman Russ is much more like a scorpian than the razor back. As for 12 pelicans, you'd be mostly dust by the time you made them.

Real men read The Strange Gazzet! (PM me for more information)

Thanks to Jais for finding the avatar!
Commander Songblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Nov 2007, 21:40   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Thanks for your contributions, I will properly go for 8, with 4 gunships, this way i can divide them in to for a better outcome. :sadnshocked:

Peace is the reason for war, as to achive peace there must be war.

92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your sig.
Brother_captin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Nov 2007, 22:08   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Hoarday

12 forgeworld aircraft models is still gonna set you back around $2500 (minimum). The valkyrie is around $200, vulture's a little cheaper, and you're undoubtedly going to want some of the other weapon options you have to pay for seperately. Then of course there's the infantry to buy on top of that (and convert), which'll be an even bigger buttload of cash probably, and then after all that, you need to paint it all. I've been playing my guard army since the steel legion models were originally released and I'm just finally finishing the last 10 models in my army which only totals up around 4000 points (largely armour). The army you're looking at here is almost 4000 points in aircraft alone!

I don't mean to sound pessimistic, but this is an impossible army for anything less than a half dozen experienced modellers and painters with a heavy bankroll to even contemplate.
Old 01 Nov 2007, 23:29   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarday
12 forgeworld aircraft models is still gonna set you back around $2500 (minimum). The valkyrie is around $200, vulture's a little cheaper, and you're undoubtedly going to want some of the other weapon options you have to pay for seperately. Then of course there's the infantry to buy on top of that (and convert), which'll be an even bigger buttload of cash probably, and then after all that, you need to paint it all. I've been playing my guard army since the steel legion models were originally released and I'm just finally finishing the last 10 models in my army which only totals up around 4000 points (largely armour). The army you're looking at here is almost 4000 points in aircraft alone!

I don't mean to sound pessimistic, but this is an impossible army for anything less than a half dozen experienced modellers and painters with a heavy bankroll to even contemplate.
Exactly. The first Vulture I built was frustrating and awkward, but my first Valkyrie made me want to cry. Even if you're made of money, you can't fully grasp the patience, tenacity and grim determination required to assemble a large Forge World kit until you've actually done it. Don't plan on such a grand scale. Plan a 1000 point army and develop it from there. There may be styles of play to be found that you'd previously overlooked or dismissed, and so extending an existing army gives you the flexibility to explore different possiblities. I started out with a generic Imperial Fists Space Marine army which I slowly mechanised to counter the mobility of my brother's Eldar army. That developed into a gradual love for vehicles, which eventually blossomed into a full size armoured battlegroup, supported by a Vulture gunship, Chimera mounted Storm Troopers, and spearheaded by a Baneblade. It took me a while to discover what I love about the hobby, and when I knew what it was, only then did I go all out. I recommend you dabble a bit.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Nov 2007, 00:27   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Then again, if you really want to, ask your GW shop if they'll buy ads on the side of the Valkyries. Might help with the $2400+ price tag. You could use the ads as a distinctive color scheme.

I can just imagine it now...

"Sir! Sir! The McDonalds (tm) Valkyrie is here!"
"Huzzah! I'm lovin it!"
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Nov 2007, 04:07   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGator
I can just imagine it now...
"Sir! Sir! The McDonalds (tm) Valkyrie is here!"
"Huzzah! I'm lovin it!"
LMAO ;D
Don't forget

"Sir the ivalkyrie is here"
"tell then to play the companies fight song, ... and a exhilarating 80's compelation."

dyk.themuffinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Nov 2007, 04:50   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

12 Valkyries ??? In Poorhammer, maybe.
But, think Apocalypse... I mean, Apocalypse Now!

Maybe it IS worth of 2 years of hard work to see the look on the faces of your opponents, when you don the cavalry hat, put the 20 valkyries and vultures on the table, and blast the speakers with the Ride of the Valkyries !!! ;D
Max Smirnov is offline   Reply With Quote