Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Rules and points legal Imperial Guard character special rules! Now more!
Old 28 Oct 2007, 12:53   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Rules and points legal Imperial Guard character special rules! Now more!

I am sure someone has come up with these before but here are some ways of faking special rules for fluff, but having them still being legal.

Sixth Sense (Bionics) 5 pts: The character has incredible reflexes, performing amazing stunts like catching bullets. Use the rules for Bionics. This is one of my favourite, and could also be used in situations like a bullet getting lodged in aforesaid character's copy of the Imperial Infantrymen's Uplifting Primer or other funny situations.

Inspiring (holy relic) 30 pts: To represent priests who fight in battle with a great fury, yelling oaths to the emperor, inspiring those around him.

Expert shooter/skilled fighter (master crafted weapon) 15 pts The owner of said weapon hasn't got a specially made weapon, they are just a dead-eye shot or superb fighter.

Shady Dealer (company standard) The owner of the standard has promised anyone who impresses him doubles rations of booze or another wanted award. The people around fight harder for that reward.

Blessed (rosarius) 25 pts The priest's faith in the emperor is realised, and unseen handing guide bullets away and deflecting blows.

Keen Senses (surveyor) 2pts The owner has sharp eyes and ears, picking out enemies long before the rest of the force.

Supremely Tough (medallion crimson) 15 pts The owner is a giant, able to withstand injuries that would kill a normal man.

Demoted (Honofirica Imperialis) The owner was once a great commander, but after a botched mission was demoted to a sergeant. He/she still retains their old flair however.

Damn Lucky (Refractor Field) This is the kind of person who might drop an ammo clip and lean down to pick it up just as a lascannon melts the wall behind them.

Favourite Weapon (Targeter) The character knows their weapon like the back of their hand, and are able to tell whether it is in range or not from experience.

Follower (Bionics) 5 pts The character is ledgendary, and is followed about by some loyal followers who would sacrifise themselves to save their hero/role model/husband ( ;D) etc.

Combat Drugs (Holy Relic) 30 pts (Thanks to Tom Norman for this) The priest is not a priest, he is a half-insane scientist, who has slipped drugs into all the guardmen's rations. In the height on battle, he activates these drugs, turing the soldiers into beserk killers.

Spy Master (Macharian Cross) 20 pts The officer is an expert in covert operations, and has sent a spy to give the enmy false information about his battle plans.

Propaganda (Regimental Standard) 20 pts The Officer tells talks to his/her men in the heat of battle, telling them things are going well to heighten morale, however things aren't always going as well as he/she says.

Keen to get away (Purity seals) 5 pts The priest is a devout follower of the Emperor, but really doesn't want to die. Given a chance the will run away just as fast as they can. This could also be athletic, as purity seals will generally heighten your chances of going further.

And one for vehicles

Blessing of the Machine God (Extra Armour) The vehicle is adorned with purity seals and small shrines, and enjoys a divine protection from incoming fire.
Hope you like them,
-Songblade

Real men read The Strange Gazzet! (PM me for more information)

Thanks to Jais for finding the avatar!
Commander Songblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Oct 2007, 13:47   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Rules and points legal Imperial Guard character special rules!

Very nice. This is a good way to get people thinking, and equip their heroes with abilities that they wouldn't normally have given them, becase of fluff.
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Oct 2007, 15:36   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

That's good, Songblade. As Droids_Rule said, too many people dismiss certain doctrines out of hand because they don't fit with their fluff. Very few people seem to grasp the essence of what doctrines are; a means to represent your regiment's fluff on the tabletop. Too many people take them literally. What you've done here with the wargear items is an example of how an item might simply represent something else. Kudos. ^-^
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Oct 2007, 15:48   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I propose to karma the Commander for promoting good trends on the forum.
Originally Posted by Tak'Ukos
Oh God, not that deamnohunters! :P
Who else would fight Choas with Palasma weapons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Ead
My Shas'O, I picture as an old grizzled war vet. However, he has a bit of a gung-ho streak. Think Sun Tzu meets Yeosemite Sam
Solarius Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Oct 2007, 16:07   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Wow, thanks! Does anyone have any ideas for others? I have done most of the IG armoury.

Edit: Do you think I should do another thread, same idea but with doctrines?

Old 28 Oct 2007, 17:03   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Songblade
Do you think I should do another thread, same idea but with doctrines?
Why not? You could even retread old ground and come up with even more alternatives for wargear rules.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 28 Oct 2007, 17:07   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
You could even retread old ground and come up with even more alternatives for wargear rules.
There aren't many bits of IG equiptment I haven't touched upon. Hopefully I will be able to have the doctrines thing up soon.

Old 28 Oct 2007, 17:36   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Songblade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
You could even retread old ground and come up with even more alternatives for wargear rules.
There aren't many bits of IG equiptment I haven't touched upon. Hopefully I will be able to have the doctrines thing up soon.
No, you misunderstand. You could come up with some extra alternatives for wargear rules, in addition to the alternatives you've already proposed. I don't mean represent other wargear items, I mean further expand on those you've already addressed.

Another idea is to do this sort of thing for characters themselves. For instance, a priest could instead be represented by a physician who has all the men in his unit hooked up to some sort of remotely activated combat drug adrenal secretion device.
Old 28 Oct 2007, 20:17   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Ok sure I'll come up with some more.

Old 28 Oct 2007, 21:34   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Rules and points legal Imperial Guard character special rules! Now more!

Great post. +1 karma. Hoping to see some more from you.