Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Guard concept for a future project (far in the future)
Old 17 Jun 2007, 19:08   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Guard concept for a future project (far in the future)

Keep in mind lads this is quite a ways in the future. We're talking post Stonecutters, any revisions to my chaos army and anything the rumoured "Green Christmas brings. I haven't picked up a lasgun and a pair of standard issue combat fatigues yet. However, I can't stop myself from having ideas, so heres a concept I came up with.

You almost NEVER see anyone using the abhuman doctrines from WD. Which is a shame if you ask me because I feel there are some really good ones, both on the tabletop and modelling perspective. I personally love the Slave Levies doctrine. From a game perspective you can pay a couple pts to give your guardsmen Feel No Pain and Slow and Purposeful. As Borat would say "Very Nice". This doctrine got me thinking of what kind of force would use such troops. The answer is as follows

The Asphodel Black Guard. The elite regiment of a brutally run hive world. The highest spires of the hives are run by cruel militaristic nobility while the lower reaches are populated by mutant slaves, who toil endlessly in the forges manufacturing weapons and armour for the Black Guard. The toil of the mutants does not end there either, for they are often hurled into battle as cannon fodder where they are usually killed in droves. However, the brutal commanders of the Black Guard would rather see a thousand mutants killed than one of their own men. And they don't exactly care too much about their lives either, so you can imagine what they think of the mutants

As for doctrines they'd probably run with
-Iron Discipline
-Restricted Troops: Abhumans (you have to take this to even gain access to the abhumans)
-Slave Levies (will not be permitted to use lascannons, meltas or plasma guns)
-Likely Storm Troopers or Grenadiers (which would represent elite units consisting mostly of the sons of nobility)

(The Slave Levies could be used as conscripts in situations where the abhuman doctrines are disallowed for whatever reason)

The name Asphodel is from Greek Mythology. Here's what wikipedia has to say about it: The first region of Hades comprises the Fields of Asphodel, described in Odyssey xi, where the shades of heroes wander despondently among lesser spirits, who twitter around them like bats. Only libations of blood offered to them in the world of the living can reawaken in them for a time the sensations of humanity.

Remember, this is an idea that may come to fruition quite a ways in the future, but I figured I should write the idea down and it can't hurt to get people's thoughts on it.
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Fish Ead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jun 2007, 20:08   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Guard concept for a future project (far in the future)

Sounds fine to me but :-

Quote:
(The Slave Levies could be used as conscripts in situations where the abhuman doctrines are disallowed for whatever reason)
What happens then?? You'll need a platoon to be able to take them if you use them as conscripts.

Just a quick heads up.
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jun 2007, 22:10   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

There would still be regular guardsmen around
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Fish Ead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jun 2007, 22:17   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

>.< Sorry - missed that entirely
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote