Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New to Warhammer and the IG...
Old 15 Jun 2007, 18:12   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default New to Warhammer and the IG...

So I am just starting to play Warhammer 40k and have decided to use the IG.* So far I have purchased the Cadian Battleforce, a Steel Legion Armoured fist squad,* a Chimera, and extra heavy weapons platform, a blister of officers and Cadian special weapons.*

Here is what I have so far for my army.* I am using the Harakoni Warhawks, because their list of doctrines was exactly the same as the list I wanted to use ;D.

HQ
Heroic Senior Officer + carapace armor
4 guardsmen 1 with mastervox 1 medic

Fire support squad 3x autocannon

Special weapons support squad 1x meltagun 1x demo charge

Troops
Armoured Fist Squad
Heavy bolter team
Vox caster
chimera transport
Plasma gun

Troops (a work in progress)
Junior officer
2x infantry squads 1x missile launcher

I am not sure where to go from here.* I bought a Karskrin/Stormtrooper squad from Ebay aswell as a commander and lascannon team for my armoured fist squad.* The idea I have is to deep strike the special weapons support squad to deal with armor.* The autocannons are there for light vehicles and mass fire.*

I am unsure where to go from here.* I want to purchase a squadron of sentinels and deepstrike them as well.* I am curious what weapons I should outfit them with.* I was thinking about a couple flamers and maybe a multi laser.* I will most likely be fighting space marines the majority of the time.* Are flamers any good against SM? Thanks for your time and I hope my post is not too long.*
Old 15 Jun 2007, 20:27   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: New to Warhammer and the IG...

Quote:
Troops (a work in progress)
Junior officer
2x infantry squads 1x missile launcher
I'd work on these guys. Try and get a full plattoon with missile launchers and grenade launchers - nice output. Just plonk them in cover with a nice Line of sight and just pound away. I'd recomand grabing the grenade launchers you get with the sprues - not alot of points, and easy to get hold of. Also give your units vox casters - so far you only have one unit with a vox caster. : thats a waste of points!

Quote:
Fire support squad 3x autocannon
I have no problems with this! ;D

Quote:
HQ
Heroic Senior Officer + carapace armor
4 guardsmen 1 with mastervox 1 medic
I'd drop the HSO to a Senior officer - just to scrape of some points. And quite possibly drop the Medic, keep the unit behind or in cover and use the command bubble - it's active through cover. Keep them out of sight and they won't need the medic. Instead spend the points on either another autocannon or a missile launcher.

Quote:
Troops
Armoured Fist Squad
Heavy bolter team
Vox caster
chimera transport
Plasma gun
I can't really comment on armoured fists units - but if you can get a meltagun instead of the plasma gun - that away you can speed quickly towards a tank and unload some firepowah!

Quote:
Special weapons support squad 1x meltagun 1x demo charge
Make this a 3 meltaguin unit when you can (I know youv'e just started!) and drop them behind a tank and POP! bye bye tank!

Quote:
bought a Karskrin/Stormtrooper squad from Ebay
See if you can equip them with some plasma guns for anti terminator and marine blasting, or meltaguns for tank destroying.

Quote:
lascannon team for my armoured fist squad
Thats not a bad idea - gives you a mobile weapons platform as you fire from the top hatch.

Quote:
Are flamers any good against SM?
Flamers can be fantastic against space marines - Ive seen a plattoon command unit deep strike and torch a unit of the power armoured goliaths! Just don't go over board - when you come up against something really nasty (like tyranids!) you don't really want to be that close to the enemy!

If your going drop troops you may wish to invest in a veteran squad or two - give em shot guns and your special weapon flavour of choice and deep strike them behind enemy lines nad cause havoc!!
[hr]
Alas! I am not the one to be talking about drop troops! Deadnight's expertise is in this field - but I don't thinks he's (?) been on in a while.

Give 'im a PM.

[hr]

Quote:
Thanks for your time and I hope my post is not too long.
Tis what we are here for!
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jun 2007, 05:07   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Thanks so much for your info. This helps a ton. I found a great way to maximize heavy weapons without using that much cash. Every heavy weapons box comes with 2 kneeling troopers. If you use the kneeling troopers on the weapon (missile laucher, Autocannon, Lasgun) you can place a standing trooper next to him and put the arms from the heavy weapons box on him. This way you can use up your extra heavy weapons pieces and all you have to have is some extra troopers and a couply extra big bases.

I am curious about one thing. Can you equip any infantry unit with carapace armor if you buy it with your doctrine? SO, for instance could I upgrade some veterans with carapace armor. And along the same lines can any infantry unit deepstrike if I buy the dropship doctrine? Could I deepstrike an HQ or Veterans?
Old 16 Jun 2007, 09:58   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Thanks so much for your info. This helps a ton. I found a great way to maximize heavy weapons without using that much cash. Every heavy weapons box comes with 2 kneeling troopers. If you use the kneeling troopers on the weapon (missile laucher, Autocannon, Lasgun) you can place a standing trooper next to him and put the arms from the heavy weapons box on him. This way you can use up your extra heavy weapons pieces and all you have to have is some extra troopers and a couply extra big bases.
I'm actually going to buy an extra box of infantry when I buy a unit of heavy weapons - the kneeling down ones are used for auto cannons, create laying down models for the heavy bolters, and have standing models for mortars and missile launchers - all that you need are extra bases and your sorted!

Quote:
Can you equip any infantry unit with carapace armor if you buy it with your doctrine?
If you check at the start of the doctrines page (55) you find a list titled Guard infantry - this states what units doctrines apply to. Thats lists which units must take carapace - every unit must take the special equipemtn if applicable.

Quote:
SO, for instance could I upgrade some veterans with carapace armor.
You have no option with special equipement (carapce in your case) and as those vets are Guard infantry you must take it - whether you like it or not!

Quote:
And along the same lines can any infantry unit deepstrike if I buy the dropship doctrine?
Quote:
Could I deepstrike an HQ or Veterans?
Again - thats answered in the "guard infantry" description on page 55 - any unit listed there can deep strike.

Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jun 2007, 10:02   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Commissar_Will

All these doctrines apply to "Guard Infantry"

Veterans=Guard Infantry
HQ=Guard Infantry

So yes. And as for the Heavy Weapons idea, one thing I tried is to get a big base and use the walky legs from an infantry platoon. Have one of them walking backwards dragging the heavy weapon across the ground (HBs are best for this - nice 'n short) and have the other guy walking forward carrying ammo box and other equipment. Say the tripod's in his backpack. Or if it's a ML or mortar, have him carrying it without dragging it. The left lasgun arm from the infantry platoon would come in handy for this.

My Space Marine project log
Commissar_Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jun 2007, 12:36   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commissar_Will
So yes. And as for the Heavy Weapons idea, one thing I tried is to get a big base and use the walky legs from an infantry platoon. Have one of them walking backwards dragging the heavy weapon across the ground (HBs are best for this - nice 'n short) and have the other guy walking forward carrying ammo box and other equipment. Say the tripod's in his backpack. Or if it's a ML or mortar, have him carrying it without dragging it. The left lasgun arm from the infantry platoon would come in handy for this.
What? You mean just haul it through the dirt?! :sadnshocked:

I guess Commissars are few and far between in that regiment then!
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jun 2007, 14:10   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Commissar_Will

Let's just say that in a world without toilet paper, a weapon care manual has more than one use...

And he's hauling it through snow, now dirt. So that's alright then. ;D

My Space Marine project log
Commissar_Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jun 2007, 04:22   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Thanks again for your guys help.
Old 17 Jun 2007, 04:59   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Eddie

Your army list looks good, but I have a few suggestions.

1. I would put a heavy bolter in one of the squads. Then you would use that squad as a static squad that could hold back and lay down fire as your other squads advanced.

2. Personally, I would trade the armored fist squad for another infantry squad, or just replace it altogether with a Leman Russ.

Other than that, it looks good.