Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

IG with WH allies.
Old 15 Jun 2007, 02:58   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default IG with WH allies.

I think doing an all SoB army would be way expensive. I love the exceroist model though. So what I was thinking of doing was using IG with some WH allies(even though I could't use the Execorist). Being a huge Civil War buff I want to do a Confederate army. I was thinking using a Inq Lord as a HQ choice with 3 gun serv. 2HB 1PC. This would also give me access to a Land Raider with out using a heavy support slot. Then using an assassin for an elite choice. Maybe a Dominion squad with 4 flamers and an Immoalter for a fast attack. I don't know much about guard, I don't have the codex yet. What are your thoughts about this type of army.

<><
BLACK_TEMPLAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jun 2007, 07:46   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: IG with WH allies.

Wrong board, buddy. We can tell you how IG units work best here, and how well they work together, but you've only mentioned the Witch hunter units you plan to use. Perhaps you should take it to the Inquisition board?
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jun 2007, 17:42   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

The reason I didn't metion which IG units I wanted to use is that I don"t know a lot about IG. I know that you can not use doctrins if IG is not the parent list. I have always wanted to do a Civil War army and it seems IG is best suited for this and I love the WH model so I decided to mix the two. I was just wondering if anyone has ever tried this?

<><
Old 15 Jun 2007, 18:11   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK_TEMPLAR
The reason I didn't metion which IG units I wanted to use is that I don"t know a lot about IG. I know that you can not use doctrins if IG is not the parent list. I have always wanted to do a Civil War army and it seems IG is best suited for this and I love the WH model so I decided to mix the two. I was just wondering if anyone has ever tried this?

<><
Sorry, mate. I'd love to help you but I really wouldn't know where to begin! History is of no interest to me whatsoever, and without knowing how the 'Confederates' fought (is that the right term for that faction?) then I wouldn't know what units to recommend to represent them. :-\
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 15 Jun 2007, 19:11   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I'm not really wanting to use that style of fighting. I just want to pain them to look like the confederates. As to fightening style I like the tanks, I read some things on the drop troops I really like them, and I like the mech units. What worries me about IG is firepower of the troops. S3 lasguns are not very strong. That is why I was thinking of using a big squad of SoB as a fire line with bolters. I am also thinking of using a sephrim squad for fast attack. IG fast attack doesn't look that imposing. I know I will use an Inq and assassin. What troops and doctrin would you use for a mech army? I know IG is good at defending, but how about on the attack? Thanks for any help you can give me?

<><
Old 15 Jun 2007, 20:26   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via Yahoo to MaddPhish

Well, being from below the mason dixon line, lemme give you a few tips here. Go on the net and look at some civil war minis. That'll give you a good idea for what your conversions will look like. As for a starting point on the minis, I'm kinda leaning toward Catachans, though their arms might need to be shaved down before sculpting the sleeves of the uniforms. Also when testing paints for my own guard, I found that Vallejo's Basalt Grey is about right for Johnny Reb's uniforms. You might wanna buy some 28 mm cannon minis to represent an autocannon and put some bits on it to make it perhaps breech loading or magazine fed and other bits to make it look more 40k. Don't use the standard Confederate Battle Flag, as it's so called, since it's historically inaccurate and most units carried their own personal colors instead of any one national flag.

Rough Riders are a must, for obvious reasons.

Also, add little touches to several of your squads, such as a slightly different uniform, a non-standard lasgun. After all, many of the Confederate forces simply scrounged supplies from wherever they could get them.
WHOILE FOLLOW EYEZ DA STEDDY KEEL DA VESSUL GRIM AN' DARIN':
BUT O 'ERT, 'ERT, 'ERT!
O DA BLEEDIN' DROPS O RED!
WHERE ON DA DEKK ME KAP'N LIES,
FALL'N KOLD AN' DEDD.

OI KAP'N MOI KAP'N! ROIZE UP AN' 'EAR DA WAAAGH!
ROIZE UP FER YEZ - DA BANNER IZ FLUNG - FER YEZ DA SHOOTA DAKKAZ;
FER YEZ POINTY STIKKS AN' IRON GOBZ - FER YEZ DA GROT PITZ A-CROWDIN;
FER YEZ DEY KALL, DA MOBBIN' BOYZ, DER EAGER MUGZ TURNIN';
OI KAP'N!
MaddPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jun 2007, 21:45   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK_TEMPLAR
I'm not really wanting to use that style of fighting. I just want to pain them to look like the confederates. As to fightening style I like the tanks, I read some things on the drop troops I really like them, and I like the mech units. What worries me about IG is firepower of the troops. S3 lasguns are not very strong. That is why I was thinking of using a big squad of SoB as a fire line with bolters. I am also thinking of using a sephrim squad for fast attack. IG fast attack doesn't look that imposing. I know I will use an Inq and assassin. What troops and doctrin would you use for a mech army? I know IG is good at defending, but how about on the attack? Thanks for any help you can give me?

<><
Oh ok, well IG don't typically make the most aggressive or proactive armies as they typically lean more towards grinding down their enemies with overwhelming numbers, walls of armoured vehicles, or superior weight of fire. None of these things really lend themselves to fluid gameplay, but it can still be squeezed out of them.

You asked what doctrines a mech guard army should use, and as you well know, doctrines cannot be taken for inducted Imperial Guard, so I assume you mean to take them as the parent list and takes witch hunters as allies now? If not, your choices for inducted Imperial Guard will be very limited.

As MaddPhish said, Rough Riders are a must. They fit with the theme and they suit your needs very well. Rough Riders are a fairly fast unit that can cover a surprising distance when they launch into a charge, and their hunting lances are great for breaking down well protected and tough units like Space Marines. They are a bit of a one-hit-wonder, but make a great Quick Reaction Force for defending your gun-line type units from marauding assault marines and the like. Once they've used those lances though, they're little more than cannon fodder and good only for tying up enemy units in close combat until their inevitable destruction.

Another mobile and aggressive unit is the Hellhound. It's utterly terrifying to any troops lacking a 3+ save because it is very hard not to land a decent number of hits against a cluster of troops, and cover saves offer absolutely no protection at all. It has modest armour and can't be expected to withstand a good thrashing like a Leman Russ, but roll it out at the opportune moment (when troops debus or deep strike for example) and you can exterminate entire enemy units in one go. This is a great instrument of destruction for a cityfight game.

If you can conceive of some way to represent them in your proposed themed army then Chimera-mounted Ogryns make an excellent Shock-Troop unit. Their armour is virtually non-existant so getting them to the enemy line is the tricky part, which is why they really need a dedicated transport. Once they get into close combat they're a tough foe to bring down because of their multiple wounds. They can give as good as they get too with a pretty impressive strength stat and solid weapon skill.

As for doctrines, the 'Mechanised' doctrine is not actually really a requirement to field a predominantly mechanised army as most infantry units have the option anyway. Unfortunately it's difficult for me to recommend any doctrine to you as they are there to represent your army's fluff in gaming terms, and I don't know anything about the armies involved in the American civil war. From a gameplay perspective though 'Veterans' or 'Grenadiers may alleviate the problem of lasgun proliferation with the options to take more special weapons than standard infantry units. 'Close order drill' at least seems to me to relate to how battles were fought back then.

That's what I have for now, and it's time to get my dinner out of the oven, so I hope that's the sort of information you're looking for.