Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Quick Imperial Guard Question
Old 13 Jun 2007, 16:32   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Eddie
Default Quick Imperial Guard Question

Hi, I just started Imperial Guard, and I was just wondering about the platoon system. Do you need to buy the $35 metal command with 5 guys for each platoon? I just bought the pack with 2 Junior Officers. Can each one of them lead one of my platoons? And if so, where do I find the points for them, because I can only find the points for the full 5 man command set.

Thanks,
Eddie
Old 13 Jun 2007, 17:16   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Quick Imperial Guard Question

The infantry platoon unit entry on page 44 of Codex: Imperial Guard tells us an infantry platoon consists of a command squad (a junior officer and attendant staff) bought from the command squad entry on page 38, and 2-5 infantry squads.

So flip to the command squad entry on page 38 to find the price for a Junior officer (said price includes the basic cost of his attendant staff).

Bear in mind there's nothing to say his squad has to have all the upgrades they can; the command squad box just features models specifically designed to represent those characters. Even your main HQ command squad can consist of a junior officer and four bog-standard Guardsmen. Your junior officers are fine to lead the infantry platoons, but they'll need a staff off four Guardsmen each.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jun 2007, 23:57   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Thanks for your help.

One more question:

The metal command squad set comes with an officer, a medic, a melta gunner, and a standard barrer. It also comes with one wounded guardsmen. Can he function as a normal guardsmen, and is he part of the command squads point cost, or should I just leave him out.
Old 14 Jun 2007, 01:44   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie
Thanks for your help.

One more question:

The metal command squad set comes with an officer, a medic, a melta gunner, and a standard barrer. It also comes with one wounded guardsmen. Can he function as a normal guardsmen, and is he part of the command squads point cost, or should I just leave him out.
It also comes with a Master Vox officer.
Because you do not have to choose every choice, like Tom stated, you do not have to include the wounded guardman at all.
The command squad box comes with 6 models, only five of which can be used at one time.
The Command Squad box is not an ideal setup for an IG command squad, it does, however, give you a lot of options to mix and match your command squad choices with other models you have purchased.
Old 14 Jun 2007, 05:30   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Thanks alot for your help.

- Eddie
Old 14 Jun 2007, 16:56   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Cool. We helped. Normally we just bicker about mundane nonsense. ^-^
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote