Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

 

Warhammer 40K Forum

autocannons, tank shooting, and grenades.
Reply
Old 12 Jun 2007, 20:46   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 55
Default autocannons, tank shooting, and grenades.


Topic 1:

Auto cannons-


I have a heavy weapons team of well, heavy weapons. Sometimes I use heavy bolters. Sometimes auto cannons. Rarely las cannons. Rarely mortars. But auto cannons seem the best to me. But the mortar has guess range, which is good if you like to camp. Please help me make up my mind.


Topic 2:


Tank shooting-



Something makes me mad. If a tank fires at one thing, then his other guns have to fire at that too. And if one of the guns can't see or is out of range it can't fire at all! Is that true?


Topic 3:

Grenades-


Which grenade is better? Frag or Krak? If charging with frag you have initiative 10. But krak is strength 6, AP 4. Please help me make up my mind!
__________________
You got any money? No? then SHUT UP
I.G. Commander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jun 2007, 20:54   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 11,122
Default Re: autocannons, tank shooting, and grenades.

Quote:
I have a heavy weapons team of well, heavy weapons. Sometimes I use heavy bolters. Sometimes auto cannons. Rarely las cannons. Rarely mortars. But auto cannons seem the best to me. But the mortar has guess range, which is good if you like to camp. Please help me make up my mind.
I would go for missile launchers in my opinion. Blast for hordes, strength for tanks, ap for MEQs. Brilliant. However the autocannon is fine aswell because you get an extra shot allowing you to get an extra chanceto hit. Heavy bolters aren't bad either - loads of shots and enough shots to make mince meat of any troops.

Quote:
Something makes me mad. If a tank fires at one thing, then his other guns have to fire at that too. And if one of the guns can't see or is out of range it can't fire at all! Is that true?
Yes it is.

Quote:
Which grenade is better? Frag or Krak? If charging with frag you have initiative 10. But krak is strength 6, AP 4. Please help me make up my mind!
Where did you get that from??? the krak grenades are for blowing up light tanks and frag grenades are for cover only - check the rulebook again. Most times you shouldn't need them for your regular troops - your standingin still and firing on all cylinders. Even if you do charge your initiative isn't that great anyways.
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jun 2007, 20:55   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 9,807
Default Re: autocannons, tank shooting, and grenades.

Quote:
Auto cannons-


I have a heavy weapons team of well, heavy weapons. Sometimes I use heavy bolters. Sometimes auto cannons. Rarely las cannons. Rarely mortars. But auto cannons seem the best to me. But the mortar has guess range, which is good if you like to camp. Please help me make up my mind.
For all-around versatility, the Autocannon is the best weapon. Mortars should be relegated to mortar squads.

Quote:
Tank shooting-



Something makes me mad. If a tank fires at one thing, then his other guns have to fire at that too. And if one of the guns can't see or is out of range it can't fire at all! Is that true?
The gun without LoS to the target cannot fire, that's correct, but the rest of the weapons can fire at the target as normal.

Quote:
Topic 3:

Grenades-


Which grenade is better? Frag or Krak? If charging with frag you have initiative 10. But krak is strength 6, AP 4. Please help me make up my mind!
Don't confuse Grenade Launcher grenades with squad upgrade grenades. There's no overlap. The wargear option grenades give you the opportunity to strike simultaneously with foes in cover or at S4 against vehicles, and Kraks are S6 against vehicles but cannot be used for any other purpose.
AuinMyrrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jun 2007, 23:58   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 9,460
Default Re: autocannons, tank shooting, and grenades.

Yea, grenades are very very rarely worth it. Meltabombs, on the other hand, can sometimes be worth it in a small squad. Command Squad with Meltaguns and Meltabombs can be very deadly, if expensive.
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jun 2007, 02:00   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 55
Default Re: autocannons, tank shooting, and grenades.

Ya, but melta bombs or super expensive. 5 points per guy, and about 5 will die. 25 points down the drain.
i like krak grenades for orks, spacemarines, and necrons, etc. I like like frag for facing Eldar. But grenade launchers are good for range (moving 6 inches and fireing 24 inches ;D ) .



And a dangit for the tank fireing.

I'll try a missile launcher for the heavy weapons.
__________________
You got any money? No? then SHUT UP
I.G. Commander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jun 2007, 05:57   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hertford, UK
Posts: 5,086
Default Re: autocannons, tank shooting, and grenades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.G. Commander
Ya, but melta bombs or super expensive. 5 points per guy, and about 5 will die. 25 points down the drain.
i like krak grenades for orks, spacemarines, and necrons, etc. I like like frag for facing Eldar. But grenade launchers are good for range (moving 6 inches and fireing 24 inches ;D ) ...
What good are krak grenades against Necrons? Their only vehicle is AV14. Am I missing something? ???
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel_Sanders
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jun 2007, 08:32   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 11,122
Default Re: autocannons, tank shooting, and grenades.

No - you're right krak grenades are worthless against Necrons.

Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jun 2007, 16:49   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Shorewood, Wisconson
Posts: 159
Send a message via AIM to Eddie
Default Re: autocannons, tank shooting, and grenades.

I think that for the heavy weapons, it depends on your goal. If your going for mowing down infantry, then I'd go with the heavy bolter. Plus, I'd go with the heavy bolter either way, because with a guardsmens bs 3, the more shots you fire, the more that will hit.

Although heavy bolters not strong enough to go through much armor.
__________________
WAANDEE GET BACK IN YO CAGE!!!!
Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jun 2007, 17:08   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 185
Send a message via AIM to AfrikA Send a message via Yahoo to AfrikA
Default Re: autocannons, tank shooting, and grenades.

I love Autocannon Support Squads. They can realy dish out the pain. On the same note I hate my Lascannon Support Squad they never seem to be able to kill any thing, not even half of what the Autocannons are doing.
__________________
When brute force doesn't solve your problem you aren't using enough.

"This plan is so perfect it's retarded."
AfrikA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jun 2007, 20:41   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 397
Default Re: autocannons, tank shooting, and grenades.

Autocannon Support Squads are worth their weight in gold in my mind. Not only can they shoot down light to medium vehicles like eldar skimmers and ork trukks but with two shots a piece they're not too shabby at murdering light to medium infantry either!

But they're only useful when incorporated into a diverse weapons set up throughout the rest of your force. Why? Well, against heavy infantry (3+ or 2+ save), they're terrible, and against heavy vehicles (13-14 armour) they're equally uninspiring. But that's why I take battle cannons to get rid of the marines/scorpions/necron warriors and missile launchers and lascannons in my infantry squads and deepstriking stormtroopers with meltas to deal with heavy armour.

It's all about acheiving the proper balance. Neglect marine killing too much, and marines will pwn you. Neglect horde kill too much and the orks will laugh at your 14 lascannons (well, their dreadnoughts won't...). Neglect vehicle killing and I promise you that your next game will be against an armored company.
Droofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Autocannons? Valten Imperial Guard 21 08 Dec 2008 19:55
Autocannons? Tournament worthy? deathodia920 Imperial Guard 22 13 Jan 2008 15:43
Shooting, with a side of shooting, and cc for dessert. BloodHawk Imperial Guard Army Lists 0 09 Jan 2008 19:16
Missile Launchers Vs. Autocannons The Canadian Snowbird Imperial Guard 24 04 Sep 2006 09:25
chimera autocannons Master Lytaing Imperial Guard 6 19 Apr 2005 02:29