Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

autocannons, tank shooting, and grenades.
Old 12 Jun 2007, 20:46   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default autocannons, tank shooting, and grenades.

Topic 1:

Auto cannons-

I have a heavy weapons team of well, heavy weapons. Sometimes I use heavy bolters. Sometimes auto cannons. Rarely las cannons. Rarely mortars. But auto cannons seem the best to me. But the mortar has guess range, which is good if you like to camp. Please help me make up my mind.

Topic 2:

Tank shooting-

Something makes me mad. If a tank fires at one thing, then his other guns have to fire at that too. And if one of the guns can't see or is out of range it can't fire at all! Is that true?

Topic 3:

Grenades-

Which grenade is better? Frag or Krak? If charging with frag you have initiative 10. But krak is strength 6, AP 4. Please help me make up my mind!
Old 12 Jun 2007, 20:54   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: autocannons, tank shooting, and grenades.

Quote:
I have a heavy weapons team of well, heavy weapons. Sometimes I use heavy bolters. Sometimes auto cannons. Rarely las cannons. Rarely mortars. But auto cannons seem the best to me. But the mortar has guess range, which is good if you like to camp. Please help me make up my mind.
I would go for missile launchers in my opinion. Blast for hordes, strength for tanks, ap for MEQs. Brilliant. However the autocannon is fine aswell because you get an extra shot allowing you to get an extra chanceto hit. Heavy bolters aren't bad either - loads of shots and enough shots to make mince meat of any troops.

Quote:
Something makes me mad. If a tank fires at one thing, then his other guns have to fire at that too. And if one of the guns can't see or is out of range it can't fire at all! Is that true?
Yes it is.

Quote:
Which grenade is better? Frag or Krak? If charging with frag you have initiative 10. But krak is strength 6, AP 4. Please help me make up my mind!
Where did you get that from??? the krak grenades are for blowing up light tanks and frag grenades are for cover only - check the rulebook again. Most times you shouldn't need them for your regular troops - your standingin still and firing on all cylinders. Even if you do charge your initiative isn't that great anyways.
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jun 2007, 20:55   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Auto cannons-

For all-around versatility, the Autocannon is the best weapon. Mortars should be relegated to mortar squads.

Quote:
Tank shooting-

The gun without LoS to the target cannot fire, that's correct, but the rest of the weapons can fire at the target as normal.

Quote:
Topic 3:

Grenades-

Don't confuse Grenade Launcher grenades with squad upgrade grenades. There's no overlap. The wargear option grenades give you the opportunity to strike simultaneously with foes in cover or at S4 against vehicles, and Kraks are S6 against vehicles but cannot be used for any other purpose.
AuinMyrrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jun 2007, 23:58   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Yea, grenades are very very rarely worth it. Meltabombs, on the other hand, can sometimes be worth it in a small squad. Command Squad with Meltaguns and Meltabombs can be very deadly, if expensive.
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jun 2007, 02:00   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Ya, but melta bombs or super expensive. 5 points per guy, and about 5 will die. 25 points down the drain.
i like krak grenades for orks, spacemarines, and necrons, etc. I like like frag for facing Eldar. But grenade launchers are good for range (moving 6 inches and fireing 24 inches ;D ) .

And a dangit for the tank fireing.

I'll try a missile launcher for the heavy weapons.
Old 13 Jun 2007, 05:57   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.G. Commander
Ya, but melta bombs or super expensive. 5 points per guy, and about 5 will die. 25 points down the drain.
i like krak grenades for orks, spacemarines, and necrons, etc. I like like frag for facing Eldar. But grenade launchers are good for range (moving 6 inches and fireing 24 inches ;D ) ...
What good are krak grenades against Necrons? Their only vehicle is AV14. Am I missing something? ???
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jun 2007, 08:32   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

No - you're right krak grenades are worthless against Necrons.

Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jun 2007, 16:49   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Eddie

I think that for the heavy weapons, it depends on your goal. If your going for mowing down infantry, then I'd go with the heavy bolter. Plus, I'd go with the heavy bolter either way, because with a guardsmens bs 3, the more shots you fire, the more that will hit.

Although heavy bolters not strong enough to go through much armor.
Old 13 Jun 2007, 17:08   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to AfrikA Send a message via Yahoo to AfrikA

I love Autocannon Support Squads. They can realy dish out the pain. On the same note I hate my Lascannon Support Squad they never seem to be able to kill any thing, not even half of what the Autocannons are doing.

"This plan is so perfect it's retarded."
AfrikA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jun 2007, 20:41   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Autocannon Support Squads are worth their weight in gold in my mind. Not only can they shoot down light to medium vehicles like eldar skimmers and ork trukks but with two shots a piece they're not too shabby at murdering light to medium infantry either!

But they're only useful when incorporated into a diverse weapons set up throughout the rest of your force. Why? Well, against heavy infantry (3+ or 2+ save), they're terrible, and against heavy vehicles (13-14 armour) they're equally uninspiring. But that's why I take battle cannons to get rid of the marines/scorpions/necron warriors and missile launchers and lascannons in my infantry squads and deepstriking stormtroopers with meltas to deal with heavy armour.

It's all about acheiving the proper balance. Neglect marine killing too much, and marines will pwn you. Neglect horde kill too much and the orks will laugh at your 14 lascannons (well, their dreadnoughts won't...). Neglect vehicle killing and I promise you that your next game will be against an armored company.
Droofus is offline   Reply With Quote