Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

 

Warhammer 40K Forum

Scout Bikers as Carapace Rough Riders?
Reply
Old 10 Jun 2007, 22:10   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Blacksburg, VA
Posts: 445
Default Scout Bikers as Carapace Rough Riders?

See above for subject.

I was thinking that the differences between bikes and horses could be explained away by the less skilled Guardsmen (C'mon, are YOU willing to rest your life going at breakneck speeds without having the super-human constitution of the Space Marines or lightning reflexes of the Eldar? Didn't think so.) They can't turboboost, and they don't even travel at full speed - they travel, on average, somewhat slower (but still faster than on foot). Heck, they can't even shoot and hold onto the handlebars at a faster speed, so they have to fire when moving as fast as they would on foot.

Scout Bikes already have carapace, so you have to use it.

Finally, the bolters on the bikes are explained away by being loaded with a special powerful ammunition that they fire once while charging in (read: hunting lances). They can't reload it while zooming around, so only once per battle (read: hunting lances.) Simply keep in mind: you have to use them.

So, Scout Bikes can represent Carapace Rough Riders with Hunting Lances. Give them Hardened Fighters, and you're set!... right?

Discuss.
__________________
If you're feeling lucky, click here to get yourself mugged!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"No, you can't put a Lascannon there; the Machine God will have a tantrum and turn the universe inside out."

balistafreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jun 2007, 22:15   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 9,807
Default Re: Scout Bikers as Carapace Rough Riders?

Hey, that's actually a darn good idea in my opinion... perhaps the Scout torsos are to Astares-y for Guard, but it's a neat thought otherwise.
AuinMyrrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jun 2007, 22:59   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 9,460
Default Re: Scout Bikers as Carapace Rough Riders?

Sounds like an excellent idea. I think they might be ok without carapce if you told the player beforehand.
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jun 2007, 23:07   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Blacksburg, VA
Posts: 445
Default Re: Scout Bikers as Carapace Rough Riders?

Okay, I just checked GW online. Found the Scout Bike torsos, but do they interface with the regular bikes, or what?

I'm planning on giving them shotguns and hunting lances. The Sergeant will carry a chainsword (and since my army has no CCWs on officers that aren't power weapons - drat random blister packs for forcing me to do this - this "chainsword" is a power sword).

I'm going to assume the bodies fit onto the regular bikes...

In this way, however, a squad of ten runs me... a fething 200 dollars, with weapons for all and five saddlebags.

One word: ugh.
__________________
If you're feeling lucky, click here to get yourself mugged!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"No, you can't put a Lascannon there; the Machine God will have a tantrum and turn the universe inside out."

balistafreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jun 2007, 23:55   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hertford, UK
Posts: 5,086
Default Re: Scout Bikers as Carapace Rough Riders?

Quote:
Originally Posted by balistafreak
Okay, I just checked GW online. Found the Scout Bike torsos, but do they interface with the regular bikes, or what?

I'm planning on giving them shotguns and hunting lances. The Sergeant will carry a chainsword (and since my army has no CCWs on officers that aren't power weapons - drat random blister packs for forcing me to do this - this "chainsword" is a power sword).

I'm going to assume the bodies fit onto the regular bikes...

In this way, however, a squad of ten runs me... a fething 200 dollars, with weapons for all and five saddlebags.

One word: ugh.
You're willing to spend two hundred dollars to make this squad but unwilling to spend another two to get a powersword for the Sergeant? ???

Well anyway, as an alternative to explain the hunting lances you could strap some manner of Orkish looking explosive device to the side of the bike and say they hurl it at their enemies as they speed past.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel_Sanders
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jun 2007, 00:16   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Blacksburg, VA
Posts: 445
Default Re: Scout Bikers as Carapace Rough Riders?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
You're willing to spend two hundred dollars to make this squad but unwilling to spend another two to get a powersword for the Sergeant? ???

Well anyway, as an alternative to explain the hunting lances you could strap some manner of Orkish looking explosive device to the side of the bike and say they hurl it at their enemies as they speed past.
Wh-wh-wh-wha?

The power sword that comes with the bikers is a power-armored arm... but I could just cut the blade. Wouldn't look so great, though.
__________________
If you're feeling lucky, click here to get yourself mugged!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"No, you can't put a Lascannon there; the Machine God will have a tantrum and turn the universe inside out."

balistafreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jun 2007, 20:34   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 28
Default Re: Scout Bikers as Carapace Rough Riders?

I've done something similar. I obtained several scout bikes, and cut the scouts at the belt line. Scouts are a little bit too beefy to be IG for my tastes. I then glued on Cadian torsos and bashed two arms on - one scout arm with hand for the handle bar, and the other with the regular hunting lance. I did not glue the gun shield or the bolters on the bike and used vox from the vox backpack as a headlamp. I think they came out pretty darn cool and it's a simple conversion.
TaintedSpam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jun 2007, 00:17   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Blacksburg, VA
Posts: 445
Default Re: Scout Bikers as Carapace Rough Riders?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaintedSpam
I've done something similar. I obtained several scout bikes, and cut the scouts at the belt line. Scouts are a little bit too beefy to be IG for my tastes. I then glued on Cadian torsos and bashed two arms on - one scout arm with hand for the handle bar, and the other with the regular hunting lance. I did not glue the gun shield or the bolters on the bike and used vox from the vox backpack as a headlamp. I think they came out pretty darn cool and it's a simple conversion.
With the costs of bikes though, it's a dang expensive one. I think I'll have to pass on this project :-\.
__________________
If you're feeling lucky, click here to get yourself mugged!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"No, you can't put a Lascannon there; the Machine God will have a tantrum and turn the universe inside out."

balistafreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jun 2007, 01:53   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 28
Default Re: Scout Bikers as Carapace Rough Riders?

My whole guard army is a conversion army that I made based off of the GW Treadheads article. I'm using modded predator turrets and other little bits here and there.

This was made possible by getting good deals on parts on ebay and other places. It's too expensive otherwise.
TaintedSpam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jun 2007, 11:17   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hertford, UK
Posts: 5,086
Default Re: Scout Bikers as Carapace Rough Riders?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaintedSpam
My whole guard army is a conversion army that I made based off of the GW Treadheads article. I'm using modded predator turrets and other little bits here and there.

This was made possible by getting good deals on parts on ebay and other places. It's too expensive otherwise.
I'm of the opposite mind myself, I think it's worth the cost. My armoured battlegroup is universally modified to feature double width tracks and many tanks feature Forge World turrets and accessories. To accomplish this I bought the extra wheel, track and vehicle accessory sprues from GW direct and I've spent over 250 on the various bits from Forge World. It's really hurt my bank balance, but beholding my army in all its fearsome armoured might makes the cost seem a paltry sum for something so special. Plus, I now have the most extensive IG vehicle accessory bits box on the planet.

I think it's worth spending a large sum of money to make the unit you've always wanted. It's something you can keep, make use of time and time again, and it will always be something to be proud of.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel_Sanders
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
IG ATV Rough riders. warriorchris Imperial Guard 6 21 Feb 2008 13:53
Rough Riders warriorchris Imperial Guard 5 23 Sep 2007 03:32
Rough Riders....... Death-Merchant Conversion 9 08 Jan 2007 21:29
Rough Riders? Black Behemoth Imperial Guard 25 07 Jan 2006 18:33
rough riders march10k Imperial Guard 11 10 Sep 2005 00:40