Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Scout Bikers as Carapace Rough Riders?
Old 10 Jun 2007, 22:10   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Scout Bikers as Carapace Rough Riders?

See above for subject.

I was thinking that the differences between bikes and horses could be explained away by the less skilled Guardsmen (C'mon, are YOU willing to rest your life going at breakneck speeds without having the super-human constitution of the Space Marines or lightning reflexes of the Eldar? Didn't think so.) They can't turboboost, and they don't even travel at full speed - they travel, on average, somewhat slower (but still faster than on foot). Heck, they can't even shoot and hold onto the handlebars at a faster speed, so they have to fire when moving as fast as they would on foot.

Scout Bikes already have carapace, so you have to use it.

Finally, the bolters on the bikes are explained away by being loaded with a special powerful ammunition that they fire once while charging in (read: hunting lances). They can't reload it while zooming around, so only once per battle (read: hunting lances.) Simply keep in mind: you have to use them.

So, Scout Bikes can represent Carapace Rough Riders with Hunting Lances. Give them Hardened Fighters, and you're set!... right?

Discuss.
"No, you can't put a Lascannon there; the Machine God will have a tantrum and turn the universe inside out."

balistafreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jun 2007, 22:15   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Scout Bikers as Carapace Rough Riders?

Hey, that's actually a darn good idea in my opinion... perhaps the Scout torsos are to Astares-y for Guard, but it's a neat thought otherwise.
AuinMyrrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jun 2007, 22:59   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Sounds like an excellent idea. I think they might be ok without carapce if you told the player beforehand.
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jun 2007, 23:07   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Okay, I just checked GW online. Found the Scout Bike torsos, but do they interface with the regular bikes, or what?

I'm planning on giving them shotguns and hunting lances. The Sergeant will carry a chainsword (and since my army has no CCWs on officers that aren't power weapons - drat random blister packs for forcing me to do this - this "chainsword" is a power sword).

I'm going to assume the bodies fit onto the regular bikes...

In this way, however, a squad of ten runs me... a fething 200 dollars, with weapons for all and five saddlebags.

One word: ugh.
"No, you can't put a Lascannon there; the Machine God will have a tantrum and turn the universe inside out."

Old 10 Jun 2007, 23:55   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by balistafreak
Okay, I just checked GW online. Found the Scout Bike torsos, but do they interface with the regular bikes, or what?

I'm planning on giving them shotguns and hunting lances. The Sergeant will carry a chainsword (and since my army has no CCWs on officers that aren't power weapons - drat random blister packs for forcing me to do this - this "chainsword" is a power sword).

I'm going to assume the bodies fit onto the regular bikes...

In this way, however, a squad of ten runs me... a fething 200 dollars, with weapons for all and five saddlebags.

One word: ugh.
You're willing to spend two hundred dollars to make this squad but unwilling to spend another two to get a powersword for the Sergeant? ???

Well anyway, as an alternative to explain the hunting lances you could strap some manner of Orkish looking explosive device to the side of the bike and say they hurl it at their enemies as they speed past.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jun 2007, 00:16   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
You're willing to spend two hundred dollars to make this squad but unwilling to spend another two to get a powersword for the Sergeant? ???

Well anyway, as an alternative to explain the hunting lances you could strap some manner of Orkish looking explosive device to the side of the bike and say they hurl it at their enemies as they speed past.
Wh-wh-wh-wha?

The power sword that comes with the bikers is a power-armored arm... but I could just cut the blade. Wouldn't look so great, though.

Old 11 Jun 2007, 20:34   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I've done something similar. I obtained several scout bikes, and cut the scouts at the belt line. Scouts are a little bit too beefy to be IG for my tastes. I then glued on Cadian torsos and bashed two arms on - one scout arm with hand for the handle bar, and the other with the regular hunting lance. I did not glue the gun shield or the bolters on the bike and used vox from the vox backpack as a headlamp. I think they came out pretty darn cool and it's a simple conversion.
TaintedSpam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jun 2007, 00:17   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaintedSpam
I've done something similar. I obtained several scout bikes, and cut the scouts at the belt line. Scouts are a little bit too beefy to be IG for my tastes. I then glued on Cadian torsos and bashed two arms on - one scout arm with hand for the handle bar, and the other with the regular hunting lance. I did not glue the gun shield or the bolters on the bike and used vox from the vox backpack as a headlamp. I think they came out pretty darn cool and it's a simple conversion.
With the costs of bikes though, it's a dang expensive one. I think I'll have to pass on this project :-\.

Old 12 Jun 2007, 01:53   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

My whole guard army is a conversion army that I made based off of the GW Treadheads article. I'm using modded predator turrets and other little bits here and there.

This was made possible by getting good deals on parts on ebay and other places. It's too expensive otherwise.
TaintedSpam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jun 2007, 11:17   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaintedSpam
My whole guard army is a conversion army that I made based off of the GW Treadheads article. I'm using modded predator turrets and other little bits here and there.

This was made possible by getting good deals on parts on ebay and other places. It's too expensive otherwise.
I'm of the opposite mind myself, I think it's worth the cost. My armoured battlegroup is universally modified to feature double width tracks and many tanks feature Forge World turrets and accessories. To accomplish this I bought the extra wheel, track and vehicle accessory sprues from GW direct and I've spent over 250 on the various bits from Forge World. It's really hurt my bank balance, but beholding my army in all its fearsome armoured might makes the cost seem a paltry sum for something so special. Plus, I now have the most extensive IG vehicle accessory bits box on the planet.

I think it's worth spending a large sum of money to make the unit you've always wanted. It's something you can keep, make use of time and time again, and it will always be something to be proud of.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote