Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Guard vs Tau
Old 09 Jun 2007, 08:49   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Guard vs Tau

well now im posting this becacuse im tired of loosing against tau. My good friend funshade has beaten me 19 times in a row. The only person i know who has beaten tau got freakishly lucky rolls. So ill start with the question how does one beat tau? Funshade plays an unorthodox method of Tau mind you, hes got some serious mo-jo goin on. All help will be greatly appricieated ty ...
minion247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jun 2007, 09:39   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: Guard vs Tau

Right, let us cover the basics;

First, play a Scenario. If not, play with a 24" gap, and 12" deployment zones as a minimum. This is the standard requirement for any game, no matter what armies are playing. Any more and shooty forces get an edge, any less and you get turn 1 charges.

Next, deploy at the BACK of your zone. Your Heavy Weapons have a 36" range, if not more. His basic guns have a 30" range. That means he has to spend a turn moving into range. If you get first turn, that's a free volley of heavy weapons. If he gets first turn, you can always move 6" yourself and get your Lasguns in.

Now, to discuss some techniques that have won me the day against these insufferable scum:

Artillery: No, I do not mean the Basilisk, I mean real artillery! Griffons and Mortar Squads. Hurl enough shells down on his men, and they'll soon be left pinned. Best of all, these units can hide away as they don't need Line of Sight!

Tanks: Tanks can be fun, but Railguns do hurt. You should plan ahead and prioritise your targets well. If you get the first turn, seek to destroy anything that will endanger your tanks. If you don't get first turn, choose carefully about automatically firing at the big guys; three Broadsides may be able to frag a Russ, but they aren't much use against Infantry.

Do not allow him to control your firepower. Kill what must be killed to win, not to save your favourite model.

Assault: Guard rock in combat, at least when Tau are involved.
Consider loading up some Chimeras with the best assault units you can buy; Ogryns and Officers. Ogryns are as big, stupid and ugly as a dump truck, but like a dump truck they tend to maul anything that they crash into.
The other classic is the "Powerfist Commissar". The Commissar cannot be singled out in assault (he's not an independent character), and so you have to kill everyone else to get to him! Have a medic (or two) stood back to heal and your Commissar should be around to decapitate a Crisis Suit or three and win the fight. Other classic "hidden" models include Force-weapon using Sanctioned Psykers and Eviscerator-carrying Preachers. These guys hurt!

Play Mindgames: So, you've got a HSO with Power Weapon and Medallion Crimson. In his squad are two Medics, a Commissar with Power Fist, a Sanctioned Psyker with Force Weapon, a Preacher with Eviscerator, and they're all mounted in a Chimera. What Tau player won't want that unit dead before it hits their lines?

Consider this; whilst his Hammerhead is blowing up a Chimera worth about as much as a standard squad of Guardsmen, what is firing at your significantly more valuable, and more deadly Leman Russ? The Tau player wants you to look at his Railguns and panic. You want him to look at some unimportant unit and think it is deadly.

Alas, such sacrificial units are very expensive, but if you can pull them off (and it can be done, believe me) then good luck to you.

Have Faith: Don't base your shooting on AP values. If your Hellhound can potentially cook an entire squad of Stealth Suits, then let fly! I have seen Griffon Mortars annihilate transports, killing everything inside. I have seen Flamers bake half a squad of Marines. I once destroyed an entire Terminator squad with a Battle Cannon. Just because they get their Armour Save doesn't mean they're going to pass their Armour Save!

If a unit has to die, then kill it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jun 2007, 11:59   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Wargamer's advice is pretty comprehensive and I agree with everything he's said, but perhaps we can offer more specific advice if you tell us about his army list composition? You said it was unorthodox, but you didn't elaborate.

Ooo...some more generic advice for fighting Tau is to pour on the Autocannons (if you mean to fight a shooting war). They're more effective than lascannons against poorly armoured skimmers and they can be turned on infantry to murderous effect.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jun 2007, 16:49   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Wargamer's advice is sound, I've lost to guard before to those tactics, as well as these:

Drop troops, dear god how I hate them.

Mass fire, what wargamer said about AP is true, and it is this tactic that eldar warp spiders rely upon.

Guard can really hurt tau in combat, as we have next to no defence against power weapons.

Autocannons, If I played guard, I'd have tons of these. They fire twice as often as lascanons, and with about the same effectiveness against skimmers. Shoot enough of them at that hammerhead and, like anything, it will die.

Numbers, you have 'em, he doesn't. Use them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runer60000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead
I believe so, I get mine at Walgreen's for around $7. Brake Fluid works too (Pine Sol Works on metals, not so well on plastics), but I prefer the spraycanniness of the Easy Off. Spray it (Wear gloves, it's important), let it sit, and take a toothbrush to it later.
so what your saying is that oven cleaner can remove paint from plastic models? and after that, you take a toothbrush to your plastic model, and the paint just comes off?
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jun 2007, 18:58   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

well i did say unorthodox (pardon my spelling) i dont have his actual list but... ill get one the next time i play him
speaking of witch what the heck is a griffon?
minion247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jun 2007, 19:10   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by minion247
well i did say unorthodox (pardon my spelling) i dont have his actual list but... ill get one the next time i play him
Pardon your spelling? You didn't spell anything wrong! Your punctuation on the other hand...

Can you give us a rough idea of what you mean by 'unorthodox'? There must be something specific about the way he plays or the composition of his army list that would lead you to describe him as unorthodox. We needn't have his exact list.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 09 Jun 2007, 20:06   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Gatler Send a message via MSN to Gatler

Two words for you, my friend: Spam lascannons.

I can guarantee you it'll kill anything in his list.

Tau will murder your vehicles. So don't bring any.

Bring 1000 points of Guardsmen and Conscripts. That'll guarantee that anything with an armour save dies. Then fill rest of your list with heavy weapons teams. You should be able to get about 9-12 lascannons in your list, handily more than enough to take out those pesky Hammerheads.

"Forgive you? Of course I forgive you. That is your god's function. Your crime is forgiven. However, your stupidity requires a response." - Leto Atreides II, God Emperor of Dune
Gatler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jun 2007, 22:02   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord-General Thunder

I disagree with this. Lascannons (and even missile launchers) have the advantage of insta-killing battlesuits, but Autocannons are more effective than Lascannons against AV12 skimmers and their weaker cousins. Assuming you hit with a lascannon, you're more likely to defeat AV12 that with a single Strength 7 shot, but it'll still only be a glancing hit. I think it's better to double your heavy weapon shots and improve overall reliability when penetrating hits are all but impossible anyway.

What's more, Lascannons are more expensive than Autocannons and they're only half as effective against Fire Warriors.
Old 09 Jun 2007, 22:07   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Just one question - where would missile launchers fit in all of this?

Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jun 2007, 22:32   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Gatler Send a message via MSN to Gatler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord-General Thunder

I disagree with this. Lascannons (and even missile launchers) have the advantage of insta-killing battlesuits, but Autocannons are more effective than Lascannons against AV12 skimmers and their weaker cousins. Assuming you hit with a lascannon, you're more likely to defeat AV12 that with a single Strength 7 shot, but it'll still only be a glancing hit. I think it's better to double your heavy weapon shots and improve overall reliability when penetrating hits are all but impossible anyway.

What's more, Lascannons are more expensive than Autocannons and they're only half as effective against Fire Warriors.
Very true, actually. Thank Vaul my local Guard player hasn't considered that one... :

So then; Spam Autocannons.

"Forgive you? Of course I forgive you. That is your god's function. Your crime is forgiven. However, your stupidity requires a response." - Leto Atreides II, God Emperor of Dune
Gatler is offline   Reply With Quote