Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Infantry Platoon
Closed Thread
Old 24 Feb 2005, 17:35   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Infantry Platoon

I have some new ideas that will kinda shift away from the standard Infantry Platoon, but I personally think are more effective. Now you may be thinking, well how can you change an infantry platoon? There are different things to try!

First, the actual infantry squads. Most people give the squads a special weapon and a heavy weapon. I personally think that this limits movement, has a low staying power, is easily brought into HH, and is too expensive. There are solutions! First of all: do not take a heavy weapon! It limits mobility that is useful for capturing objectives and makes HH inevitable. Instead take a special weapon such as the grenade launcher. This thing is cheap, has a good range, and most importantly allows you to stay mobile. This allows you to either quickly relocate and continue pounding the enemy or advance while firing in order to capture an objective. Most people overlook the vet. Sergeant, but in my mind offers a needed leadership boost and additional firepower. Just give the vet. Sergeant a storm bolter and you are set. The storm bolter matches the grenade launcher in range and mobility and therefore is a perfect addition to and infantry squad. Now there is no model that has a storm bolter so you will have to convert your own. Iíve already tried one and it turned out great! The squad that I have just described to you is still cheaper than a standard squad with a heavy weapon and special weapon, plus itís more flexible and has a higher chance of survival. If you absolutely must take a heavy weapon then consider the heavy bolter. It is dirt cheap, does not overextend the squadís range, and has a high rate of fire.

Next, the command squad. Most people equip their command squads like their infantry platoons with a heavy and special weapon. In my mind there are two ways that you should equip the squad. First there is the tank busting squad armed with four meltaguns and an JO with a plasma pistol. When in range, this squad has a great chance of turning any tank into a pile of molten scrap-metal. This squad can either go out on its own (preferable with a Chimera) and go looking for tanks or it can support the infantry squads and protect them from enemy armour. A second way to arm the squad is with four grenade launchers and a JO with a storm bolter. This gives the platoon even more anti-infantry firepower. (Notice how both combinations can move without sacrificing fire? Mobility is the key I tell you!)

In conclusion, the infantry platoon should be an effective force on the field, not just a required Troops choice. It should be mobile with plenty of inexpensive firepower. Itís also fun to see the look on your opponentís face as an entire platoon advances towards him/her, pouring out more firepower than he/she can handle. So gear up your platoon properly and you will surely have a might force to be reckoned with.

Tau Aun
Old 24 Feb 2005, 18:38   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Infantry Platoon

great kudos, I'll recom some karma
Old 24 Feb 2005, 19:17   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Thanks Unique!
Old 24 Feb 2005, 22:22   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

I would give you karma... except what you have said is totally wrong.

The guard are not mobile. Heavy Weapons are a must unless you specifically design the squad to be mobile.

Such examples include Drop Troopers, and Armoured Fists, both of which are hindered by the burden of big guns. However, your basic infantry unit benefits tremendously.

I'd agree with your idea of Stormbolter + Grenade Launcher... except what do you do about tanks and armoured infantry? Those two weapons will be near useless against the likes of a Marine...

A better suggestion is to equip squads to fulfil a purpose. Examples:

Mobile Assault Squads:
Veteran with either Stormbolter, or Power Sword.
Assault weapon (Grenade Launcher or Meltagun is best). Vox to ensure they don't flee.

"Standard" squad:
Heavy Bolter + Grenade Launcher.
Missile Launcher + Greande Launcher.
Missile Launcher + Plasmagun.
Veterans are optional, and by no means essential, in these squads. Squads with Hvy Bolter + Grenade Launcher benefit from Stormbolters. Vox shouldn't be needed unless you expect them to wind up out of Command reach.

"Tank Hunter" squads:
Lascannon or Missile Launcher, no Special Weapon.
OR
Meltagun, no heavy weapon. Veteran Sergeant and/or Vox to ensure they don't bolt...

Miscellanious:
Autocannons: They are odd ones. They don't seem to fill any specific role... but are useful. Stick them in instead of Missile Launchers or Heavy Bolters.

Mortars: Only really of value if you plan to hide behind a mountain all battle... which is a job for a dedicated Mortar squad, or an Officer. Don't put this in Infantry squads.

Flamers: Rarely worth it. Never put one in with a heavy weapon!

Conclusion:
If you want mobile, you either need a Mechanised army, or to switch to Space Marines. Guard work well in one specific scenario: sitting still and shooting the hell out of the enemy! It is the only army in 40K where killing your opponent's entire army in 4 turns isn't beardy! Exploit this fact, and bring on the big guns!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 25 Feb 2005, 03:22   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Orion

Normally i'd agree with wargamer but my friend plays a mobile gaurd army but he relies on an enemy engaging you in combat. Not always but vs anything that normally would just assault the gaurd.

Ok i perfer 6 stormbolter command squads seeing as 2x str 5 beats 1 str 6 dont u agree?

Ok as for infantry stormbolter / grenade

Vetrans with meltaguns / grenades

Now he uses an extensive ammount of rough riders 3 of em to be presise.

1 russ 1 basalisk

And 2 tank buster squads 1 missile launcher 1 lascannon
1 special weapon squad with snipers

And i'm unsure wether he still uses heavy wep platoons or iron disipline

Now the point is that where stormbolters cant kill marines especially well they drop horde armies like nothing else.

Ordance can take down the armoured guys (marines) then the bolters/ grenades can clean up.

Few lascannons few missile launchers as some anti tank

And tons of rough riders for the simple fact that if an enemy actually charges you these are the only thing that will stop him.

"The quiet mouth gets fed last, Ask and you shall recieve"
-Unlimiter-
Old 25 Feb 2005, 07:52   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Rough Riders? Ogryns are better; more wounds, higher toughness, and they're as viscious as an Ork Warboss in assault! ;D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 25 Feb 2005, 12:38   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Who sais guard can't be mobile? My guard army relies on mobility and it turned out just find. The standard squad with a missile launcher and plasma gun is more expensive and cannot move at all. Plus the squads that I mentioned all have boosted leadership so you do not need vox casters and the like. Grenade launcher and storm bolter combination is also more specifically tailored to take out infantry so you are not wasting 8+ lasguns per squad. And lasguns ARE useful especially in large amounts. I also mentioned in my post that you can take a heavy bolter with the other weapons. I personally do not recommend it b/c it limits movement, but if you dont care about moving than you can take the heavy bolter. If you dont care about moving than the grenade launcher + storm bolter + heavy bolter is way more effective than a missile launcer and plasma gun (or any other heavy weapon + special weapon combo).
Old 28 Feb 2005, 19:06   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Warbird Send a message via MSN to Warbird

I am going to have to go with wargamer. Guard are not mobile unless you make them mobile. I am going to equip every one of my squads with either grenades launchers, melta guns, and plasma guns as the one man weapon.And various different heavy weapons. And my JO with a power sword and plasma pistol.

I am a ordinary person living a extrodinary life
http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/
Not as good as pron but it's damned close
http://www.turnsignalsonalandraider.com/
Poke'em in the eye
Closed Thread