Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Drop Troop List:
Closed Thread
Old 23 Feb 2005, 21:17   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq
Default Drop Troop List:

First of all let me say that i havent made a guard list in ages, not since just after the catachan dex was released and i was using them.

I'm open to suggestions particularly on the command section/squad details hence the reason it won't be very detailed.

Command HQ: Senior Officer w/power wep, medic, 2 melta guns.

Specail weapon team: 3 sniper rifles.

Mortar team: 3 Mortars.

2 Sentinals w/ heavy flamers.

__________________________________________________ _________________________

Platoon 1:

Command Section: 2 Melta Guns.

Squad one: Melta Gun.

Squad two: Melta Gun.

Platoon 2:

Command Section: Autocannon.

Squad one: Autocannon.

Squad two: Autocannon.

Support:

Sentinal: Autocannon.

Sentinal Autocannon.

Vulture Gunship: Heavy Bolter, Twin Linked Las-Cannon, 2 Hellstrike Missiles.

Doctrines: Drop Troops:

So platoon 1 along with the command HQ squad and the heavy flamer sentinals will be deep striking.

The rest of the army will set up a fire base from which my force can work around.

If the enemy has lots of transports then an autocannon sentinal may also deep strike to hit the vulnerable back armour.

The vulture will provide the real anti armour ability.

Approx: 1000pts:

So what do you think? any suggestions?.
Old 24 Feb 2005, 10:54   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Orion
Default Re: Drop Troop List:

What doctrines are you using?
would help if you listed em out

So far Drop troops,special wep squads, and.......

I suggest vetrans seeing as these guys can push out 3 special weapons

Also Grenaders may be a good idea not sure if you can drop em tho have to check the dex but it would offer you smaller units of more powerful troops with plenty of special weapons.

Also a demolition charge may be fun. drop down toss that sucker and hope it doesnt land back on you.

I really dont think gaurd would suite your play style tho not trying to be mean but i dont think that list would last 3 turns vs another 1k. so isntead of just saying no thats wrong i'll help u out here.

Stormbolters can be your best friend and you can have 3 squads with 6 of em each not bad.

Um dont waiste pts with giving the the senior a pwep or even taking him as a senior for that matter better off with a junior i mean str6 and hes gone anyways.

Good idea deepstriking the sentinals autocannosn will have a good chance of downing a rear armor tank.

I'm unsure wether walkers can assault on the turn thry deepstrike if so if could be a very good idea to drop 2 sents shoot then charge them into a squad to hold them off.

Like a pack of marines for example they need a 6 just to glance yay my tank only is gonna die 1 out of 36 hits.

Really tho downgrade your hq to a jr officer give him something worth while aka stormbolter and keep those meltas but take 2 more stormbolters on your guys it will help cut down enemy counter assaults.

I mean if your gonna drop might as well do as much as u can.

Also have you consdered cameoline cloaks but it would require you to go into cover.

Or sharpshooters would help with your miss ratio uping your bs to about 3.5

"The quiet mouth gets fed last, Ask and you shall recieve"
-Unlimiter-
Old 25 Feb 2005, 23:23   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq

'What doctrines are you using?
would help if you listed em out '

I did but forgot to include special weapons squads, thats the only two i'm using.

'I suggest vetrans seeing as these guys can push out 3 special weapons'

Veterans are great but to many points in a game of this size i think, special weapon squads fill the roll and a much cheaper cost.

'Also Grenaders may be a good idea not sure if you can drop em tho have to check the dex but it would offer you smaller units of more powerful troops with plenty of special weapons.'

Nope they can't, the primary reason for me not taking them, also i want regular guardsmen to represent the elite and be the main focus of the army. After all drop troops require quite a lot of training.

'also a demolition charge may be fun. drop down toss that sucker and hope it doesnt land back on you.'

I agree, the only reason for not including some weapons as the elysian models im planning on using didnt have them yet, now with the new releases i'll probably take a demo and flamer toting special weapon squad.

'I really dont think gaurd would suite your play style tho not trying to be mean but i dont think that list would last 3 turns vs another 1k. '

What would my style of play be?, to the best of my knowledge i haven't played you, anyway i do agree that it isn't a particularly powerful list but it should be competetive if used well (with some modifications).

'Stormbolters can be your best friend and you can have 3 squads with 6 of em each not bad.'

I assume you mean in command sections etc?, still 6?. anyway if i pack out a squad with SB's then any casualties will be very expensive. Although i will consider taking some.

'Um dont waiste pts with giving the the senior a pwep or even taking him as a senior for that matter better off with a junior i mean str6 and hes gone anyways'

As the command squad and sections have assault weapons i would hope to finsih off well armoured squads with a power weapon flailing charge, to compensate for the lack of heavy infantry busting weapons in the army.

'i'm unsure wether walkers can assault on the turn thry deepstrike'

Nope they can't.

Anyway thanks for the reply. I'll make a few modifications and then repost the list.

Old 02 Mar 2005, 18:29   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Hm well i suppose your gonna need the powerwep vs terminators and the like.

Then i suggest using psykers with an honorifica and a forcewep along with your powerwep hq.

Also i may suggest using a plasma pistol on your hq.

But i would really use a powerfist over a powerwep cuz your I3 stinking usually lasy with a str 3 attack pretty weak dont you think.

powerfists also increasing your wounding increadibly.

Besides its freaking awsome when your psyker kills a carniflex which i have done.

-Unlimiter-
Old 04 Mar 2005, 14:42   #5 (permalink)
Dom
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Dom

senoir officers are the same I as a smurf, and if given close order drill as well, then he goes before the marines. plus with the new assualt rules, he is still an independant character, therefore he can be targeted and killed before he gets to strike. Not very pleasent.
psykers with the honorifica and force weapon IMO are not worth it. they cost too many points and hardly do any damage (well thats my view anyway!)
a flamer (or 2) in the command squad would kill loads of light infantry and dug in infantry.
Dom
Old 04 Mar 2005, 19:48   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

close order drill doesnt work on command squads it sux.

yep they can be targeted thats why the arent worth it in combat i'd suggest making a shooty close support squad.

But if you plan to actually do something in combat then your gonna need every boost you can get.

-Unlimiter-
Closed Thread