Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New to Imperial Guard
Old 02 Jun 2007, 17:41   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default New to Imperial Guard

Hi,

i am new the IG, but not the game, i have collecting for 10 years now.

so this morning i decided to bite the bullet and purchase some IG, well i say some... the battle force, another squad box and a chimera... ow and the codex . comes to £100 on the nose :-X

now to the help bit , i have made a list, but i'm struggling to understand the codex... it isn't simple to follow esp the support guns and command squads.. i'm finding them hard to get to grips with, i don't want to tackle the doctrines just yet lol.

well onto my list, i just want to make sure its legal, i am going for looks more than competitive play, so i dont want a drop troop, plasma army of death... but i do want it to be a bit of a challenge..

HQ:

Command Platoon - 116
Senior officer + power fist, laspistol and carapace armour.
Veteran medic
3 guardsman + master vox
attached??? mortar support squad not sure if thats correct.. - 80

Troops

Command - 71
Junior officer + power weapon
Veteran medic
3 guardsman + missile launcher

Infantry squad (1) - 70
Sergeant + lasgun
9 guardsman + 1 plasma gun

Infantry squad (2) - 66
sergeant + lasgun
9 guardsmen + flamer
______

Armoured fist squad - 179
Sergeant + laspistol + combat weapon
9 guardsmen + flamer
Chimera + multilaser, heavy bolter, heavy stubber, extra armour, smoke launchers and rough terrain modification

Heavy support

Leman Russ Battle Tank - 168
Heavy bolter sponsons, hull mounted Heavy bolter, extra armour, smoke launchers

total = 748 (hopefully)

so i would like some advice on where to go next and some general critique.

thanks very much for any assistance!

-Rob

Old 02 Jun 2007, 19:21   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: New to Imperial Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten Hero
HQ:

Command Platoon - 116
Veteran medic
3 guardsman + master vox
The Mortar squad acts as an independant squad. In terms of vicotry point and that sort of thing they are completely seperate.

I would consider scrapping the support squad and moving the heavy weapons into the squads, you need more tank fighting power, putting las cannons, missile launchers, and maybe autocannons in you squads is a good way to get that done. Personaly i like missile launchers the best because they are duel purpose, but if ud rather specialize then i would do las cannon in one or two squads, and a heavy bolter in the other.
beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Jun 2007, 20:00   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

thanks for the advice!

but i love the idea of mortars raining shots down on the enemy for behind cover. so they are staying .

i do understand what your saying, the lack of AT is very prominent in my army, but at 750 points i dont expect to face anything bigger than a predator or a falcon.. so it shouldn't be tooo bad.

but in my 1000 point list i will definatly include some more anti tank, probably lascannon fire support squad and an auto cannon support squad.

then as much infantry as possible... with auto cannons or heavy bolters.

-Rob
Old 02 Jun 2007, 20:31   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
HQ:

Command Platoon - 116
Veteran medic
3 guardsman + master vox
I'd say fine, remember what Beowulf said above and that the Mortar squad is independent. I'd be tempted to drop that caracpace armour as it isn't going to be much use out of combat. But if you like it only drop it when your points are a bit tight when you expand.

Quote:
Command - 71
Junior officer + power weapon
Veteran medic
3 guardsman + missile launcher
Again in this unit I'd be tempted to drop the power weapon - your a shooty unit with that rocket launcher and may not get a chance to use it. Again it is cheap so this should be on your list to drop if you need your list to go on a diet. i'm also a bit confuse as to why the medic is in the platoon commanders unit, one that is stationary as well, instead of the HQ command unit with that power fist to help insure survivability. Not much to change to swap around the medic and a regular staff member. The guardsmen in the Platoon unit will act as the protection for your rocket launcher

Quote:
Infantry squad (1) - 70
Sergeant + lasgun
9 guardsman + 1 plasma gun

Infantry squad (2) - 66
sergeant + lasgun
9 guardsmen + flamer
My advice here would be to drop the short ranged special weapons and take some long range dakka - my preferance would be the rocket launcer, good AP and strength for busting power armour and a blast market for those pesky little swarms. The flamer unit is preftty much worthless in this small army where everything will be targetted - you cannot hope to wander all over the board to let of a flamer shot. It's also a waste of points.

Quote:
Armoured fist squad - 179
Sergeant + laspistol + combat weapon
9 guardsmen + flamer
Chimera + multilaser, heavy bolter, heavy stubber, extra armour, smoke launchers and rough terrain modification
I'd be tempted to strip everything, have two heavy bolters and track guards. Most of will probably not be used and your freeing up points for elsewhere. As for the unit I'd take a melta gun instead of that flamer for tank craking or for any stray charachters. Or if your looking for an extra tank give the unit a heavy weapon and fire from the top hatch.

Quote:
Leman Russ Battle Tank - 168
Heavy bolter sponsons, hull mounted Heavy bolter, extra armour, smoke launchers
Looks fine to me. Although it' hard to go wrong with a leman russ!!

Quote:
where to go next
Depends on what suits your style - more tanks, more infantry, or a good mix. Get a few games under your belt with your final list and see what you are missing, try to get a few games against Vets. and ask them what they would do - the ones I know are always lending a helpful hand.
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Jun 2007, 23:08   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

One thing I would say is maybe drop the Smoke Launchers (you should be firing the heavy bolters as you advance) and Extra Armour on the Russ and instead give it a hull lascannon for the added anti-tank.

EmblazonedMauveGearbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Jun 2007, 23:31   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

I totally agree with the hull las for the Russ.

For expanding to 1000 point. perhaps build on that platoon by adding another squad (or two). Then chuck in some mobile anti-tank and get some sentinels with anything but heavy flamers.
Old 03 Jun 2007, 03:00   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

3 things I noticed:

An S.O. for your HQ with a powerfist is expensive and risky, as he fights as an independant character he can quite likely be killed before he ever gets to swing it because he goes last. A power weapon for an S.O. is far cheaper and you won't be as worried about it never being used. Even an H.S.O. is not an assault hero by the standards of any other army. Best to give powerfists to sargeants in hard vet squads and commissars.

I think your numbers are off a bit on your Leman (I counted 163 not 168 - sorry, I nitpick), but the lascannon hull is definitely a good idea. It makes the tank more multifaceted. If you go with 3 heavy bolters, the minute your battlecannon gets knocked out you will be reduced to only being able to threaten infantry.

Finally, I dunno about that armored fist squad. Dismounting and firing is what these guys do. Dismounting in flamer range will leave you very vulnerable to be charged. This is if you plan on using the squad and the chimera together. I often use mine as separate elements anyway, and just mount up by the end game (if both survive... haha) to occupy board space. But dismounting to fire a flamer is pretty risky. A meltagun could help your lack of AT, and doesnt require you being quite as close (not by much, but every inch further away helps.)
Guitardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jun 2007, 04:00   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

BASALISK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! > they are evil and awsome ;D

human tenderness is simply weakness in a pretty package
goust38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jun 2007, 05:23   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten Hero
thanks for the advice!

but i love the idea of mortars raining shots down on the enemy for behind cover. so they are staying .

woop woop mortars of doom! >

anyway you don't have to say what the sarg's. have they come with the options in the section for free
you need some heavy weapons they saved my a$$ several times (once from a deamon prince ;D)
no power weapons unless your making a counter assault (or better worded a stall group)
you should get a bassie (but in my matches it seems to sit there and soak up points) (but it did kill a hole squad of deamonetts once by blowing up in close combat :P)
the chimera is a must in anything lower than a thousand points
and [glow=red,2,300]get some Last Chancers[/glow]!!! ;D > 8)

dyk.themuffinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jun 2007, 05:35   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

what is ti with you people and last chancers lately?