Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Is placement fate?
Old 29 May 2007, 23:07   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Is placement fate?

tieing and not win several battlesand afterwards wondering wy I set up like this has got me stumped

I played against a chaos player recently (a cleanse match that was played with no special rules) (losing of course) and saw that if i had just set up more spread out than I would have won

any general ideas on setting up.

dyk.themuffinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2007, 23:10   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190
Default Re: Is placement fate?

One of the things that I would do is try to prevent him from getting a Massacre result that can get him into CC with another one of your units. The same goes for minimising flamer casualties and ordnance/blast casualties.
icer190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2007, 00:41   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

In general, my placement looks something like this, assuming bits of terrain overlap the deploy zone here'n'there:

(this way to no-man's land)
[hr]
(deploy edge)
x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x
(meaty fluid squad(s) (J.O.) (meaty fluid squad(s)
## ##
## ##
### (support vehicles - chim(s)/sentinel(s) ###
### ###
### (static infantry/heavy squads) ###
tank(s) x x x x x x x x x x xx xx more tank(s)
x x x x x x x x x x xx
## ##
## xx xx xx x x x ##
(indirect) (more big guns) (H.Q.) (more indirect)

(6 inches of space)

[hr]
table edge

The specific squads involved can vary, as can exact placement depending on fire lanes and cover available. I find that keeping my front line widely spaced across the edge of deployment, I can always have my meatshields in the way of anyone charging towards the bigger guns. The tanks on the flanks and the heavy weapons should set up in fire lanes but this is oh-so-important in my experience: If you want to control a fire lane, set up at least 2 elements in it from the getgo - so one can't be destroyed without the other hitting back. At least 2. Usually the way we set up there will only be 2 or 3 major fire lanes with unobstructed views across the board, so if you want one, stack your heavy weapons and tanks in it and dare them to risk your return fire. Finally, it's nice to have a command section assigned to your fluid troops and one assigned to your static troops, hence the HQ squad in the back with all the heavy weapons and the J.O.(s) up front with the cheaper, more maneuverable special weapon types.

Of course this is just a 'standard' guideline I use when setting up. As every board will be different and every army have different concentrations of certain unit roles, you have to use a bit of intuition on a case by case basis.

Soooo....

Control your fire lanes in bulk to support each other (tanks/hw)

Split your command for distinct (fluid/static) roles

Keep the meat widely spaced across the front line to prevent assaults on the bigger guns.

Keep supporty, mobile stuff like sentinels, riders, armored fists and such more in the middle so they can react to either flank.

Leave (if you can) 6 inch gap from the back edge so you don't run off board on a bad Ld check the first time you get shot at.
Guitardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2007, 14:39   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

I normally deploy with my tanks all behind terrain (LOS terrain if possible) and I break my army into two chunks, each based around a platoon. I deploy my reminents squads as far forward as I can, and keep my infantry squads further back, but close to each other. My command Squads are furthest back, with my HQ in the middle to aid in any counter attack.

I drive my tanks out on the first turn, as well as move my reminents further forward (to remove attention from the infantry squads). Sentinels move forward as well. I plan to eventually break one of the enemies flanks so I can drive up with one army chunk to get onto the enemies flank. Helps a great deal in recon or cleanse.

Deployment though, is very important. You need to know what the objectives are and deploy for the mission and opponent. Wrong deployment can cripple you, while a good one will aid you.
Originally Posted by The Strange Child
Sigged.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss,the abyss gazes also into you.
~Friedrich Nietzsche
Grindgobble Witherfume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2007, 15:23   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

wait I was reading the rule book and it says that you set up in table quarters thats where i screwed up i played it like a meat grinder

Old 30 May 2007, 19:33   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyk.themuffinman
wait I was reading the rule book and it says that you set up in table quarters thats where i screwed up i played it like a meat grinder
I don't want to assume anything, but Last Chancers should be much more careful with deployment then a standard IG army.
Old 31 May 2007, 04:31   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterCresent
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyk.themuffinman
I don't want to assume anything, but Last Chancers should be much more careful with deployment then a standard IG army.
ooooooh yes they are very trick to set up right and they count as HQ so at least they get a good position