Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

storm troopers
Old 28 May 2007, 13:45   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default storm troopers

Are storm troopers worth it? yes, they are ten points with frag,krak,and carapace which would cost 11 for a plain guardsmen to have and they have higher leadership by 1, better bs balistic skill by one, and they have targeters which allows them to pre measure range to fire and have AP 6 instead of no AP at all .they can also deepstrike or infiltrate for only 1 point per model . I love storm troopers :funny: !
Old 28 May 2007, 13:57   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: storm troopers

Actually, that would be AP5 on hellguns, not AP6.

IMO, yes, they're worth it, although that's largely down to the "coolness" factor of them. There have been many debates about the worth of Stormies on these boards, and a lot of people prefer Hardened Veterans for their better weapon options and cost efficiency.

TO'TAU'VA T'GUE'HE TO'CYR'HE
Kasrkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2007, 14:04   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

but you can get 30 storm troopers and can only get 10 veterans, but you can make stormies normal troops if you don't give em deepstrike or infiltrate .
Old 28 May 2007, 14:06   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

How many games have you seen lately with 3 full squads of Storm Troopers?

Old 28 May 2007, 14:16   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.G. Commander
but you can get 30 storm troopers and can only get 10 veterans, but you can make stormies normal troops if you don't give em deepstrike or infiltrate .
But then, of course, you can take the veteran Doctrine and take more!

But also you can take no less than 90 Storm troopers (I think) if you really wanted.

Quote:
I love storm troopers
I love them because I can take them as grenadiers and leave more room for tanks!!
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2007, 14:27   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

90 Stormies? How'd you figure that? You can take 30 Storm Troopers as Elites, another 30 Grenadiers as Troops, then 20 Inquisitorial Storm Troopers as allies, which makes 80 in total.

Old 28 May 2007, 15:13   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasrkin
90 Stormies? How'd you figure that? You can take 30 Storm Troopers as Elites, another 30 Grenadiers as Troops, then 20 Inquisitorial Storm Troopers as allies, which makes 80 in total.
You know damn well how he came to that conclusion, he just made a mistake, you don't have to make him look like a fool. >

I think the value of Stormies really depends upon the enemy you are playing against. If you expect to fight an enemy with a predominantly 4+ save or better then those Hellguns are of greatly reduced value. If you expect a great many AP4 weapons in your opponent's army list then your Carapace is of less value. Stormies have an edge against some opponents and their Meltabomb option (while expensive) comes as a nasty surprise to marauding vehicles, but overall, I'd have to agree that Hardened veterans are the better choice; not so much because of their lower price (because there's not a lot in it), but just because of their generous weapon options.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2007, 17:24   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.G. Commander
Are storm troopers worth it? yes, they are ten points with frag,krak,and carapace which would cost 11 for a plain guardsmen to have and they have higher leadership by 1, better bs balistic skill by one, and they have targeters which allows them to pre measure range to fire and have AP 6 instead of no AP at all .they can also deepstrike or infiltrate for only 1 point per model . I love storm troopers :funny: !
Personally,

I find them to be one of the more inefficient infantries in the game for their points. Their cost is seriously prohibitive to their worth. The BS4 value is only useful to the assault weapons you purchase, and even then, only if you're running melta or plasma. You pay a massive premium for that less than 20% increase in hit accuracy, with only 2 or 4 shots depending on the gun. That's not that big of an improvement actually. And you pay a massive price increase for it. Veterans are a far better deal for the cost in virtually every way. StormTroopers are as poor in assault as normal guardsmen at a higher cost. 4+ saves are pretty moot in the shooting phase, and in assault, you'll just get clobbered anyways, unless you're duking it out with some FireWarriors. There's a difference between "can do it" and "effective." They're not effective.

StormTroopers are interesting infantry and the fluff is great behind them. But in 4th edition 40k, they're simply not that great of infantry for the competitive gamer. That of course totally depends on who/how you play obviously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
Quote:
You know damn well how he came to that conclusion, he just made a mistake, you don't have to make him look like a fool. >
Why the attitude here Tom? Seriously not helping this thread with that.

Cheers,
Old 28 May 2007, 19:46   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Wow, I had always thought that one could take both witch hunters and Daemon hunters as allies in an Imperial force. Oh well, live and learn.

EmblazonedMauveGearbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2007, 20:16   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmblazonedMauveGearbox
Quote:
Wow, I had always thought that one could take both witch hunters and Daemon hunters as allies in an Imperial force. Oh well, live and learn.
You can.

And that's why you put 90, rightfully so.
Though you can have a few more even than that, if you use your HQ to field an Inquisitor unit comprised of `veteran guardsmen' which are literally just storm troopers.

Cheers,