Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Armoured Company Unit Overview
Closed Thread
Old 22 Feb 2005, 04:14   #1 (permalink)
Tau Tau

Default Armoured Company Unit Overview

I haven't played with AC yet, but I was looking over the list and wanted to know if I was judging correctly. After each unit I'll give my opinion and say if/when I'd use it. (I hope I thought right...)

Leman Russ Battle Tank- Good at everything, if equipped with the pretty standard Lascannon/Heavy Bolter Combo this tank seems to be effective against any unit. Decent armour, and it's main weapon is turret mounted, too. Only gripe is the fact is it's ordinance.
--I will try to take as many of this unit as possible.

Leman Russ Conquerer- Probably the only secondary weapons choices is 3 heavy bolters, for several reasons. One, the cannon is shrunk down to fire with other weapons, but is still considered a main weapon, so a Lascannon just wouldn't be very effective. Also, this tank seems geared towards anti infantry/heavy infantry, therefore heavy bolters. The range is severly shortened, though. Why would you take this over a Hellhound or Chimera is beyond me.
--Very expensive for a fairly narrow role, and it would take up a spot for a normal Leman Russ or Vanquisher. Never.

Leman Russ Exterminator- Cheaper than the Conquerer, alot of the feelings I stlil hold for this guy. If I absolutely HAD to take a anti-medium infantry heavy tank, this would be it, I guess.
--I'd take it before the Conquerer, otherwise, Never.

Leman Russ Vanquisher- Longer range than the Battle Tank, and can crack heavy armour extremely easily. Great unit, but very expensive, so would probably have to be taken in moderation.
--Great unit, albeit expensive. As many as I can afford.

Leman Russ Demolisher- If equipped with Plasmacannons and a heavy bolter, I'd say this is a mid to short range beast. If I have a way to get it there, I'll take it. It also does not need an Ace to field, which is very useful in smaller point games.
--If I can get it up close, I'd take as many as I could. On top of that, I'd probably need to take this in smaller points games because of the Ace restriction.

Destroyer Tank Hunter- Basically a souped up direct fire Basilisk, this unit is dang expensive but only does one thing- Destroy heavy units. No secodary weapons, and not turret mounted. I'd rather take a Vanquisher if I needed that much anti tank power.
--Never. Vanquisher over this always.

Basilisk- Hmm...static unit in a mobile force... I guess if I just stood it in the back it'd be fine. I'm not to fond of it taking up spaces for my other beasts such as the demolisher, though. Cheap, so maybe when I have a small number of points to fill.
--I'm leaning towards never.

Griffon- Short range, weak firepower, weak armour. Cheap though. I'd rather just not even use the points.
--Never.

Hellhound- Absolutely devastating to infantry, more effective than an un-mounted chimera. Waaay cheaper than any Conquerer or Exterminator crap.
--A few if expecting hordes or lots of cover.

Chimera- Really it's only use is for ferrying troops around. However, then it can't capture quarters, but that's what the Salamander's for.
--Only to ferry troops.

Salamandar Scout Vehicle- Totally awesome! Something just turns me on about it's Fast status. Though, it's autocannon isn't turret mounted (i assume), which is a bummer.
--I on a large map, I'd take it to claim objectives fast.

Sentinels- Can be used as scouts, but other than that, they're pretty slow, therefore unwanted in a mobile force.
--Almost Never.

Stormtroopers w/ Chimera--\
Armoured Fist Squad-----------\_ I'm kind of clueless on the mounted infantry...I don't know if they're needed or not.
--Not sure whether to take or not.

Techpriest Engiseer- Usless. The amount of points you spend on him could be more expensive than a Leman Russ, which might be more than he would ever repair in a game.
--Never, maybe if fluff required it.

I think that covers it...Did I hit the bases right? (probably not) Well, tell me where I went wrong, I want to learn.

Thnx!

Old 22 Feb 2005, 17:29   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Armoured Company Unit Overview

good overveiw, cudos
Old 22 Feb 2005, 17:32   #3 (permalink)
Tau Tau

Actually, the Exterminator I have grown on.

Old 22 Feb 2005, 18:13   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Many people seem to be pretty fond of the exterminator, what with a possible 14 shots (with heavy stubber). It is a good hoard killer.

I personally like the griffon. It has a much smaller blind spot compared to the basilisk and the griffon mortar has the same strength and AP as the hellhound (which you seem to like). Plus you dont have to see it which is always a bonus. Its also dirt cheap.
Old 22 Feb 2005, 21:57   #5 (permalink)
Tau Tau

Quote:
Originally Posted by tau aun
Many people seem to be pretty fond of the exterminator, what with a possible 14 shots (with heavy stubber). It is a good hoard killer.

I personally like the griffon. It has a much smaller blind spot compared to the basilisk and the griffon mortar has the same strength and AP as the hellhound (which you seem to like). Plus you dont have to see it which is always a bonus. Its also dirt cheap.
Incredibly true. This list is growin' on me, and I LIKE IT! *list grows all over body*

Mmm....symbiotic relationships taste good....

Closed Thread