Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Quick and simple Guard Rules
Old 21 May 2007, 11:51   #1 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Quick and simple Guard Rules

This is an attempt to create a "no frills" guide to Guard. Let's see if it works...

The following should be kept in mind at all times when playing Guard:

Keep your goal in sight:
Indirect fire just isn't accurate enough; use straight-fire Battle Cannons to flatten the objective, and Demolishers as backup.

Always remember; the rulebook is lying. All mission objectives can be accomplished by hurling shells at it.

Playing a Cleanse? Corpses can't hold objectives. Take and Hold? Same deal. Bunker Assault? Last time I checked, Bunkers don't like getting blown to bits.

Shoot first, second, third, fourth and fifth. Turn 6 is for marching over the fields of slain enemies.

You have tanks, act like it:
Your average wall is composed of about a tonne of bricks and mortar. Your Russ is 60 tonnes of tank. Work it out.

Tanks don't go around things. If there are trees, walls, fences or mobs of unruly Orks in your way, drive straight over them. People expect you to dodge hazards and obstacles. Dodging is for Eldar. You'd be amazed how horrified your opponent will look when you declare you're going to steam-roller your way through the woods, and then drop a point blank Ordnance shell onto his precious 600pt unit of Infiltrating Alpha Legion Chosen. Sure, you might throw a tread, get bogged down or accidentally turn your tank into a multi-story caravan... but why do you think we have Enginseers?

Keep moving forward:
The biggest vehicle always has right of way. There's a Baneblade behind you.

It is very easy for your army to bog itself down. More often than not you will have to move at some point (unfortunately), so make sure that you move your infantry, not your tanks.

Big stuff moves last. The reason for this is that your big stuff usually has to stay still to maximise firepower. If your infantry squad moves, you lose one heavy weapon. If your Russ moves, then its Battlecannon shell goes flying off the side of the board and blows up your opponent's can of Dr Pepper. Fun as that may be, fragging soft drinks does not win battles.

Make sure that when you do move your big guns, they have plenty of room to do so. Correct "order of movement" is as follows:

Infantry.
Sentinels / Hellhounds.
Chimeras.
Heavy Weapon Squads.
Tanks.
Super Heavy Tanks.

Faith is your shield:
"Faith" gives Sisters Repentia a 4+ Armour Save, Chaplains a 4+ Invulnerable, and Preachers access to Eviscerators. Face it, you're Flak Armour is crap by comparison.

When faced with protective gear that is somewhat less efficient than cowering behind the nearest Russ, you really do have to rely on Faith. Unfortunately, Faith doesn't give you a better save, but it does give you a better mindset.

Have no fear. Decide what must be done, and do it. Never second guess, never worry, never cling to that little outcrop of rock because the big bad Space Wolf is going to huff and puff and apply Bolt Rounds to your squad in a vindictive manner. The moment you start running, hiding and wetting yourself, the enemy has won. You are Guard, try to act like it.

The Golden Rule of The Imperial Guard:
If you don't know what else to do, shoot the big ones.

This may not sound like a good idea, but it works. After all, the only thing worse than having a bloodthirsty Carnifex stood 24" away is a bloodthirsty Carnifex in close combat. Guard should never be engaged by anything that cannot be clubbed down with the butt-end of a Lasgun. As such, you've got to shoot anything that you can bayonet.

Now I know what you're thinking, "what can my Guardsmen do against their tough guys?" Well, let's think about this. Sure, that big, bad unit of Plague Marines may look intimidating, and your Guardsmen have a 1/36 chance of killing one, but there's a reason you can have 55 men in a single Troop Choice. Point enough Lasguns at your opponents, and they will fall over. Of course, pointing some Lascannons doesn't hurt either.

So, to summarise:

Big guns bring glory!
Make the Terrain get out of your way, not the other way around.
Advance with weak stuff first, so they'll be supported.
Be bold, be confident, be resolute.
When in doubt, empty the mag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2007, 16:40   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Quick and simple Guard Rules

Well that's not a bad 'crash course' into playing Imperial Guard, although it can't be taken too literally; for instance standing and shooting every turn but the last will leave you tragically short of the enemy deployment zone in a recon mission; and plowing into a mob of unruly Orks with your Leman Russ might not be such a great idea if they possess the means to pull the sponsons off (perhaps the application of three heavy bolters might be a better idea), but other than that it's simple and robust advice for the beginner. Nicely done. ^-^
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2007, 17:45   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

+++It does work. You just have to be ruthless and use cover.+++

Sig by Drobot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineluki
Is a nice guy, though he shouldn't 'have to sig' something someone else says, just to please them.
[quote=Hadhfang]
Is just awesome, and probably emits an aura of Awesomage!
[
Hate Enriches
Sven-Kaiser of Krieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2007, 18:03   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Quote:
Well that's not a bad 'crash course' into playing Imperial Guard, although it can't be taken too literally; for instance standing and shooting every turn but the last will leave you tragically short of the enemy deployment zone in a recon mission; and plowing into a mob of unruly Orks with your Leman Russ might not be such a great idea if they possess the means to pull the sponsons off (perhaps the application of three heavy bolters might be a better idea), but other than that it's simple and robust advice for the beginner. Nicely done. ^-^
I'm afraid I'm still a 3rd Edition player at heart. I am proud to say that I once did win a recon without ever moving a model; I just blew an entire 1,500pt Space Wolf army to kingdom come! ;D

Quote:
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2007, 18:42   #5 (permalink)
Anton

Overall, your Golden Rules are brilliant. If there is one thing I fear, it's the fearless Guard player. The problem some Guard players have (a few I know) is that they are scared to lose troops, and that is generally mistake No.1. I used to be absolutely ruthless with my Guard, sometimes losing 30-40 men to take down a Commander and his Command Squad was well worth it. Guard tanks are self explanatory, but they do rock.

You need to be ruthless, and not afraid to expend everything to win the game, for losing 50+ men in a battle with Guard is considered normal.
Old 22 May 2007, 00:52   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Mrgame

Nice crash course on IG :P As some people say from my store(and funny enough gaming forums as well) "if your afraid of looseing men, your playing the wrong army!!!"(don't take it to literal people that are afraid : :P > kinda true though
Mrgame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2007, 07:16   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

whoo!!
cool! ;D

sigged by DRobot

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying". -Oscar Wilde

"When it comes to thought, some people stop at nothing".-unknown

"we're not retreating; we're advancing in another direction"-General Douglas MacArthur
Grey Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2007, 19:22   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton
Overall, your Golden Rules are brilliant. If there is one thing I fear, it's the fearless Guard player. The problem some Guard players have (a few I know) is that they are scared to lose troops, and that is generally mistake No.1. I used to be absolutely ruthless with my Guard, sometimes losing 30-40 men to take down a Commander and his Command Squad was well worth it. Guard tanks are self explanatory, but they do rock.

You need to be ruthless, and not afraid to expend everything to win the game, for losing 50+ men in a battle with Guard is considered normal.
Even funnier is when those Guardsmen are virtually Fearless to boot. (Rerollable LD10 from HSO with Commissar and Standard). A player who spreads his army out can't stop a tide of humanity from flooding one flank (pun intended).
"No, you can't put a Lascannon there; the Machine God will have a tantrum and turn the universe inside out."

balistafreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2007, 20:33   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by balistafreak
Even funnier is when those Guardsmen are virtually Fearless to boot. (Rerollable LD10 from HSO with Commissar and Standard). A player who spreads his army out can't stop a tide of humanity from flooding one flank (pun intended).
Heh. A swarm of conscipts led by a commissar is somewhat of a paradox I suppose; they're perhaps the most cowardly unit on the table yet cannot fail a morale test while any of them yet live. Effective and fluffy to boot.
"Onward you wretched scum, the Emperor protects!"
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2007, 01:19   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to cabomhn Send a message via Yahoo to cabomhn

These are down and dirty right to the point guard rules. They tend to work for most battles and can overcome almost every enemy. Every guard player should know them and worship them. ; )

98% of Teenagers have tried smoking pot OR drinking. If you're one of the 2% that hasn't, copy and paste this into your sig.
cabomhn is offline   Reply With Quote