Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Suggestions for improving/streamlining the next community game
Old 19 May 2007, 15:30   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Suggestions for improving/streamlining the next community game

The next game I host is a little way off yet as I'm still working on the additional vehicles I want to feature (but I believe Vash and Wingates_hellsing are planning a game at the moment over on the Eldar and Space Marine forums respectively), but I thought I'd ask you guys what you enjoyed most about the last one and what we could afford to do away with.

For instance, writing the fluff every turn took me ages, did you enjoy it or would no one miss it? Was the turn summary layout to your liking? Was it detailed enough? How about the photos? Would you want more close up shots, or a photo taken from the opposite side of the table perhaps? How about the rarely seen 'satellite view' photos, were they useful/entertaining? Did you find the tactical photo informative or cluttered?

These are the sort of things I could do with fine tuning, but OmikronAlpha and I would also like to know what new features we could implement. I thought that perhaps the team commanders could draw up the army lists themselves if I were to present them with a list of options? This might be a little more restrictive for the armoured battlegroup than the Space Marine side because all the sponsons, hull weapons and other upgrades are glued on. But that still leaves ace crew skills and turrets.

Anyway, what do you fellas think? What did you enjoy most and what we can afford to do away with?
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2007, 16:09   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Location: Kansas, United States, North America, Western Hemisphere, World, Milky way, universe
Send a message via AIM to valhallen_warrior Send a message via MSN to valhallen_warrior Send a message via Skype™ to valhallen_warrior
Default Re: Suggestions for improving/streamlining the next community game

I thought it was pretty good as it is. I didn't read the fluff much but i would have if i had enough time. :

I liked the pictures a lot including the satalight photo, i thought that was very cool.

"I have no delusions of divinity. We are men, not gods. Man is his own god, his own devil, his own death--we are created in our own image, yet imprisoned by the face we call our own. I will remake the world as I have remade my face." - The Black Mask
valhallen_warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2007, 21:56   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to cabomhn Send a message via Yahoo to cabomhn

The fluff for the armies was very good. I don't know how many people read the fluff but it wouldn't be horrible if we didn't have it for the next community game.

I think you should keep the different types of photos you provided. The only suggestion would be to possibly get a different angle of the battlefield.

Other than that I thought the last community game was pretty good and well thought out. : )

98% of Teenagers have tried smoking pot OR drinking. If you're one of the 2% that hasn't, copy and paste this into your sig.
cabomhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2007, 01:22   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

It was great. The Fluff was good, the pics were awesome, the only thing I'd like for you guys to add would be a slightly more "literary" summary, if you know what I mean, with who fired where and whatnot, because I found it a little bit confusing just with the bullet points for each vehicle. It was still awesome though.
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2007, 09:41   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Ok, what I'm getting from this so far is that no one would really miss the creative writing bit each turn (which I find surprising because that's what I used to enjoyed most about the old style White Dwarf battle reports). If that's the case I guess I'll just do the battle premise and leave it at that.

[hr]

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGator
It was great. The Fluff was good, the pics were awesome, the only thing I'd like for you guys to add would be a slightly more "literary" summary, if you know what I mean, with who fired where and whatnot, because I found it a little bit confusing just with the bullet points for each vehicle. It was still awesome though.
I don't understand what you mean. Do you want dotted lines on the tactical view or something? Or do you mean you'd prefer a proper paragraph detailing the actions of each unit every turn? I can do that, and it sounds like a much better idea to be honest. Would you want such detail as the dice rolls themselves or is it just the short hand nature of the bullet points that you find confusing?
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 20 May 2007, 17:23   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Sorry if it was confusing, I meant just a solid paragraph with what shot what with what result. IMO, dice rolls arn't nesecary unless it's especially exciting or whatnot.

Example:

Squad X stayed put, firing their lascannon at enemy Y. The Command Squad charged forwards, attacking Tank Z, but all failed to hit. Tank A charged forwards 12", popping smoke. Tank B moved forwards 6", opting to fire all three heavy bolters at enemy N instead of its battle cannon.

Something like that, I thinks. It would just be a bit easier to understand.
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2007, 18:11   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGator
Sorry if it was confusing, I meant just a solid paragraph with what shot what with what result. IMO, dice rolls arn't nesecary unless it's especially exciting or whatnot.

Example:

Squad X stayed put, firing their lascannon at enemy Y. The Command Squad charged forwards, attacking Tank Z, but all failed to hit. Tank A charged forwards 12", popping smoke. Tank B moved forwards 6", opting to fire all three heavy bolters at enemy N instead of its battle cannon.

Something like that, I thinks. It would just be a bit easier to understand.
Hmmm...I get where you're coming from, but I don't think it'd make sense to compile it all into a single paragraph; I expect most players want to see how their own unit got on during the turn before they concern themselves with the rest of the team and it'd be nice for them to find their units easily (we might know one way or another if they'd only bother to post their own opinions :P). I'll go into greater depth and make it flow a little better but I don't know about meshing it all into one paragraph.