Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

fighting tau help
Old 15 May 2007, 22:38   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default fighting tau help

I am having trouble beating a tau player with my IG. Im looking for advise.
He uses
x2 full fire warrior squads with warfish
x2 phirana with FB
x2 hammer heads one with rail the other with ion
one Ninja shaso
one shas vre with this AFP pie plate of doom thing and some burst cannons

I have
2 Russes (standard type hull las/HB spon)
1 Chimera (multi las/ HB hull)
3 ratlings
2 lascannon teams
1 missile team
2 autocannon teams
1 HB team
30 infantry
and 2 command teams

the infantry and command teams can be rearanged to have pretty much any combo of weapons so thats not an issue. Its just that with his 6 vehciles he plows straight through me all the time dropping FW right in front of me and wiping out whole squads with daka. Any help would be great.
ZaruTal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2007, 23:22   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: fighting tau help

Imperial Guard are supposed to either grossly outnumber the enemy with swarms of infantry, outgun him, or hide behind a wall of AV14.

Outnumbering is possible, but when most of his army is mounted then that won't help you much because you can't tie them up in close combat nor rapid fire them to death, especially if they're thinning you out the moment they hop out of their transports. Still, overwheming him with conscripts led by a Commissar is an option. You'll need a way to bust his Devilfish(es) though.

Outgunning Tau is pretty much impossible with troops such as yours; the almighty Pulse Rifle and Burst Cannon will easily slaughter your men en masse, especially if he's charging forward to debus and rapid fire. Furthermore, Sub-munitions and Airbursting Frag Projectors are going to cause mayhem unless you remember to spread out. However, you shouldn't take that to mean that you can't give as good as you get. Load up on Autocannons, as many as you can field. The puny lasgun won't do you much good against mounted infantry, nor Battlesuits (unless you can get a great many men up close to rapid fire), but an Autocannon or eight will put the hurt on damn near everything he's got. Even an immobilising hit against a skimmer will put it down half the time, unless he moves slow (in which case you're winning a different kind of victory, but making a difference nonetheless). A Lascannon might be the daddy of man-portable tank busters, but skimmers are a different kettle of fish; with their softer armour and near-immunity to penetrating hits, you really want a large volume of medium strength fire to bring them down, and Autocannons fit the bill perfectly. What's more, Fire Warriors have reason to fear them (and heavy bolters) because they're AP4 weapons. If you expect him to deploy Fire Warriors next to a vulnerable infantry unit then point a few Autocannons and Heavy Bolters in that direction and he might think twice. If he does it anyway then you're trading a pawn for a knight; you win either way.

A wall of chunky tanks will avail you little given that he has a railhead out there and two Fusion Blaster Piranhas. Short of making an armoured company, it'll be hard to field enough tanks to make it worthwhile. But it sounds like the majority of his killing power is coming at you in the form of anti-infantry weapons, so if you can find a way to slay his tank killers early on then your Russes should be extremely potent against the remainder. Don't neglect your heavy Bolters for the reasons specified above (you might even consider swapping out the hull Lascannons); a Battlecannon shot isn't always the best option. That said, don't forget that your battlecannon is a strength 8 weapon, so Battlesuit insta-kills are a realistic possibility.

And as much as I hate to say it, you appear to be losing because he has the AT firepower to neutralise your tanks and enough AP5 dakka to turn your troops into mush in seconds. It's a low tactic, but you might consider swapping a Russ for carapace armour all round. A universal 4+ save will dramatically improve your troops' survivability against this nature of firepower...but this is abuse of the doctrine system and it's by no means a guarantee of victory anyway.

And just in case I haven't made my point; Autocannons are your friend. Field as many of them as you can.

EDIT - Thinking about it, if you play Catachans, then you have every right to take the Jungle fighter doctrine. This would write off the Lascannons and lumber you with flak armour, but you should be taking Autocannons anyway and the proliferaton of AP5 weapons renders the loss of your 5+ save almost irrelevant. On the plus side, your autocannon teams could infiltrate into jungle terrain to get side armour shots from the word 'go', and your infantry units could field heavy flamers as a means to deter Fire Warriors from debussing too close. If you have Cadian models though, then just ignore this.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2007, 23:27   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Chton

You have a lot of good things to start with here.
Both Russes are spot on. Keep them as they are. Give them extra armour.
The chimera is also quite useful, but give it extra armour as well, and smoke launchers.
When it comes to teams, I would consider taking both Autocannon teams to max out the Fire Support slots,
and one missile launcher and one lascannon team to max out the Anti-Tank.
From what I can understand, you have not too much infantry.
30 Guardsmen are the absolute minimum you can take for the compulsory choices, and I'd say you need some more.
But from what we have to work with, I'd take a Armoured fist squad with your chimera. Give them a melta and a heavy bolter.
The 20 remaining guardsmen I'd take as infantry squads with heavy bolters/grenade launchers.
For added shootyness, I'd take a lascannon in each commands squad.

That is the best I can come up with, at the moment.
Keep in mind that your opponent is all about mobility. Take out the two devilfishes and you will have crippled him quite well.
I would concentrate the fire from the missiles and las towards the Hammerheads early in the game. They have to go fast. Especially the one with the railgun. Use the autocannons to down the devilfishes and together with the heavy bolters slay his firewarriors.
Also, keep them piranhas away from the russes. The piranhas and the one hammerhead only thing you should have to worry about downing your tanks.
Do your best to keep the chimera alive, and rush out to take objectives towards the end.

Tell us how it goes when you are done. Perhaps a small battlereaport?
Cheers
Chton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2007, 23:34   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

The Ninja'O is going to be going for the Heavy Weapons teams. Try to keep them someplace that is harder to approach. And I am sure you don't need to hear it from me, but every unit you have should be deployed in cover, and should stay there.

And Tom and Winter are right about the Autocannons. They are about the best weapon there is against the Tau.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2007, 02:08   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Id love to write up a bat rep some time since we play to gether all the time (he is my roomie after all). I will look into getting more autocannons or see if he would let me proxy the lascannons as auto since they kinda look alike. I appreciate the all the help. We play city allot so I tend to take light infantry and cameoline. The light lets me infiltrate into good buildings then the cameo boosts my saves its just he throws out so much dakka and the AFP vre takes whole squads since it denies cover and has Ap5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
It's a low tactic, but you might consider swapping a Russ for carapace armour all round. A universal 4+ save will dramatically improve your troops' survivability against this nature of firepower...but this is abuse of the doctrine system and it's by no means a guarantee of victory anyway.
If I take the doctrine how would it be abuse isnt the point of the carapace doctrine to give my troops better survivability at a cost?.
ZaruTal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2007, 07:48   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaruTal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
It's a low tactic, but you might consider swapping a Russ for carapace armour all round. A universal 4+ save will dramatically improve your troops' survivability against this nature of firepower...but this is abuse of the doctrine system and it's by no means a guarantee of victory anyway.
If I take the doctrine how would it be abuse isnt the point of the carapace doctrine to give my troops better survivability at a cost?.
Because doctrines are there to help you represent your army's fluff, not tailor it to defeat a given opponent. It's especially cheeky if you take a doctrine such as this without representing it on the model.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 17 May 2007, 07:34   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

+++I never lose against my friend`s Tau army because of this saying; Victory is one part tactics and nine parts faith.
In other words, I just charge and hope to win. Never fails. +++

Sig by Drobot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineluki
Is a nice guy, though he shouldn't 'have to sig' something someone else says, just to please them.
[quote=Hadhfang]
Is just awesome, and probably emits an aura of Awesomage!
[
Hate Enriches
Sven-Kaiser of Krieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2007, 07:56   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven-Kaiser of Krieg
+++I never lose against my friend`s Tau army because of this saying; Victory is one part tactics and nine parts faith.
In other words, I just charge and hope to win. Never fails. +++
Personally, I'd say it's one part tactics, nine parts army composition. You and your opponent's.
Old 18 May 2007, 02:45   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Screw the previous advice, you can definitely outshoot them. Use cover wisely, abuse heavy bolters to pound down his FW.

Also, bring plenty of lascannons/missiles, as those do great things to his armor. It's basically a guaranteed glance on his nice lil open topped piranhas...It's not a guaranteed kill, but its roughly as close as can be expected in a game played with dice. As a nice bonus, they instakill suits, which is a real pain for him to deal with.

Incidentally, by taking two HQ suits, he has well over 200pts in just those two fragile things. Definitely down them with something properly heavy.

Actually, in all honesty, he's really, really infantry light. Just pack AT crap in every infantry squad. Meltas are a nightmare for fish of fury. Drop the chimera at a minimum, it's mostly just a target. Basically, field as much infantry as you can(and use doctrines if you're short models. Either carapace armor or sharpshooters will help you)

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2007, 03:07   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

OKay, theres two things in your army that are missing...one a basalisk, one of the best things against tau. that 125 point tank can destroy his crisis suits, fire warrior squads, and even pen his tanks if you get lucky and roll first turn. Next would be the hell hound, one shot will wipe a fire warrior squad everythime. Just hide it till he fish of furies and then run it and hoze them. After that shove as many missile launchers/lascannons/heavy bolters into the list as possible. If you dont bring down the tanks at least you can stun or shake them. A few deepstriking units loaded with melta guns are excellent tank hunters as well. I play both mech Tau and Guard so i know what pisses me minnows off. Basalisks/Hell Hounds and suicide squads, and lascannons. Russ's are nice but not that great agaisnt tau. I would drop one to get the bassy and hell hound.

C/-Rt3r is offline   Reply With Quote