Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Leman Russ Annihilator: The New Vanquisher?
Old 13 May 2007, 14:21   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Leman Russ Annihilator: The New Vanquisher?

As many of you know, Forge World recently rolled out it's latest variant of the Leman Russ: The Annihilator, with the same twin-linked Lascannons as it's Space Marine namesake:

I recently started thinking about the implications this vehicle has in an Armoured Battlegroup - particularly, if it could fill the roll of the Vanquisher as the premiere tank hunter of the Treadheads.

The first stroke in favour of this vehicle is the price tag: While a Vanquisher will cost you 35 points more than a standard Russ, the Annihilator will fetch you ten points less.

Next up is firepower versus rate of fire. As far as your sheer AP roll goes, the Vanquisher clearly wins against most vehicles, with an average of 15. However, you're gambling with a single 50% chance of hitting (or 66% with a Command Vehicle or Commissar Tank). The Annihilator has a 75% chance of hitting home with its turret, and can even use the hull Lascannon in the same turn. Moreover, against Necrons the las-blasting version is a clear winner: With it's extra die removed by Living Metal, the Vanquisher turret becomes almost useless against the floating chunk of old cheddar, needing a 6 to even glance.

Lastly, there's the point of alternate roll usage. A Vanquisher can, like the Russ, put down a 'pie plate of doom' and spell death for MEqs and anything lesser than them, without requiring Ballistic Skillz. However, the Annihilator has a great boon in its multiple AP2 weapons; where a Vanquisher would fail, the Annihilator can go toe-to-toe in a shooting war with Broadsides and Obliterators, as well as mercilessly hunt down TEq foes.

In future, my Commissariat vehicles will not be Vanquishers, but Annihilators. Will yours?
AuinMyrrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2007, 14:40   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Leman Russ Annihilator: The New Vanquisher?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dra'Tuisich-Novae
...In future, my Commissariat vehicles will not be Vanquishers, but Annihilators. Will yours?
'H'-'E'-double hockey sticks, no! Slick loading BS4 Vanquishers rock my world. But I'll only field one in a normal sized battlegroup, more than that would be cheesy. If I can twist my opponent's arm into letting me field an annihilator in my battlegroup as my second 'command' type vehicle then I will, but the Annihilator's restrictive rules mean I can't take one in either my battlegroup or an armoured company. I don't want to have to try to twist the Siege regiment list into an all-tank list just to field it legally, and the codex list just isn't flexible enough for that. Maybe the Annihilator will be a choice for other lists too, but for now I still favour the Vanquisher for its horrifying power against the toughest vehicles and its effectiveness against Meqs. This makes it a clear favourite in my book; the Annihilator is just a little too specific in its ideal targets. The greatly reduced price tag does make it appealing as a budget tank slayer, though.

Sure is a pretty looking turret too though, eh? The Predator Annihilator turret makes an excellent stand in for those players afraid of buying Forge World stuff. I was quite surprised to find it was such an excellent fit.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2007, 14:45   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

+++I prefer the Vanquisher, it looks more... tank like :+++

Sig by Drobot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineluki
Is a nice guy, though he shouldn't 'have to sig' something someone else says, just to please them.
[quote=Hadhfang]
Is just awesome, and probably emits an aura of Awesomage!
[
Hate Enriches
Sven-Kaiser of Krieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2007, 15:25   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
Quote:
...In future, my Commissariat vehicles will not be Vanquishers, but Annihilators. Will yours?
Hell, no! Slick loading BS4 Vanquishers rock my world.
Eh, I just wanted a catchy, WWIIish line to finish off my essay with . In terms of nomenclature, I think the Vanquisher is more suited to vanquishing terrible enemies, while the Annihilator... well... annihilates all hints of treason or heresy.

Quote:
Annihilator's restrictive rules mean I can't take one in either my battlegroup or an armoured company.
To the best of my knowledge, rules for AB/AC usage won't exist until IAvol5 rolls out. Till then, I'd think the Annihilator should be usable at least by command units and probably in the space of normal tanks. It's much easier to make a pair of Lascannons than a Plasma Destroyer or Vanquisher Cannon.
Old 13 May 2007, 18:02   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
To the best of my knowledge, rules for AB/AC usage won't exist until IAvol5 rolls out. Till then, I'd think the Annihilator should be usable at least by command units and probably in the space of normal tanks. It's much easier to make a pair of Lascannons than a Plasma Destroyer or Vanquisher Cannon.
Oh right, so the Annihilator will be made available to at least one of the armoured lists when IA5 comes out then? That's reassuring. Where did you get this information, or is it just speculation?
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 13 May 2007, 18:27   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Quote:
Oh right, so the Annihilator will be made available to at least one of the armoured lists when IA5 comes out then? That's reassuring. Where did you get this information, or is it just speculation?
Pure speculation, but I think it's eminently logical speculation.
Old 13 May 2007, 18:37   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Quote:
...so the Annihilator will be made available to at least one of the armoured lists when IA5 comes out then? That's reassuring. Where did you get this information, or is it just speculation?
Pure speculation, but I think it's eminently logical speculation.
Ooo, I smell a bet. I don't reckon IA5 itself will extend Leman Russ Annihilators to armoured battlegroups or companies, just codex armies and siege regiments...maybe in a subsequent FAQ, but not in the publication. We shall see...
Old 13 May 2007, 18:42   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to erebus Send a message via MSN to erebus Send a message via Yahoo to erebus

Its a nice turret, but the space marine predator turret also fits neatly in the hole or a russ as a cheaper alternative- the forge world turret would make a nice alternative turret for the pred too.
erebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2007, 18:49   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

The Vanquisher is King! This is nowhere near as awesome.

Considering I've played games where the Vanquisher was only just in range for a turn 1 shot, I know where my money lies; it's with the 96" death-dealer.

Quote:
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2007, 20:39   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Wargamer has a point, I had to fight an armored company and my broadsides had to hide from the Vanquisher because it outraged them(shooting anti-tank at them), but the Annihilator with it's 48" range would've had to hide from me. This thing doesn't inspire fear like the Vanquisher does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runer60000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead
I believe so, I get mine at Walgreen's for around $7. Brake Fluid works too (Pine Sol Works on metals, not so well on plastics), but I prefer the spraycanniness of the Easy Off. Spray it (Wear gloves, it's important), let it sit, and take a toothbrush to it later.
so what your saying is that oven cleaner can remove paint from plastic models? and after that, you take a toothbrush to your plastic model, and the paint just comes off?
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote