Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

What Can Aircraft Do For Me?
Old 02 May 2007, 19:57   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default What Can Aircraft Do For Me?

Okay, so, using a "building block" strategy, I've got it laid out to 1500 points. It follows a Grenadier/Storm Trooper/Vox army, with a couple Chimeras, two anti-tank squads, and a uber-leadership command squad (HSO, mastervox, Commissar, Standard, Iron Discipline).

For my 2000 block (giving me 500 points to work with) I really want some aircraft.

A Vulture seemed to wreck complete havoc upon enemy armor in the Community game. What did it have? S10, reroll to scatter, bombs? Not to mention the lascannons, and a heavy bolter just for fun.

A Valkyrie would let me move a squad of Stormies around, but I have absolutely no experience or knowledge with it, other than the fact it can carry troops AND fly.

Can I take both within 500 points reasonably?

And what are some strategies for using them, for those with Imperial Armor? Not as in "target this", but armaments, usage besides "shoot these", and mitigating effects of bad rolling.

Seeing as I don't want to purchase Imperial Armor and then realize I need nothing in it, I just would like some more information about Imperial Flyers.
"No, you can't put a Lascannon there; the Machine God will have a tantrum and turn the universe inside out."

balistafreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 May 2007, 20:00   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: What Can Aircraft Do For Me?

Flyers use complex rules, and it can be tricky to get the best out of them. They are best used as terror-weapons, flying in on the flanks to threaten soft-spots in enemy armour. That said, the Valkyrie and Vulture can also be equipped to perform amicably in an anti-infantry role.

Speed really is the saving grace of a Flyer. So long as they operate in Flyer Mode, most things need 6s to hit them in Shooting (yes, shooting), meaning they can soak up a lot of fire despite being AV10. Vultures and Valkyries have better frontal armour, increasing their durability.

They aren't cheap, and alone they aren't game-winners, but Flyers can prove very useful when used properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 May 2007, 20:06   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

it's not what the Imperial Navy can do for you... but what you can do for the imperial Navy.

you could buy the door gunner set too

Quote:
Originally Posted by jais
I need it! I need it! I need it! anton's vagina that is...
Quote:
"We're not just gonna shoot the bastards. We're going to cut out their living guts and use them to grease the threads of our tanks, we're going to murder those bastards by the bushes!!"
Savon Saal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 May 2007, 22:17   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

IAV1 has most of the flyer rules- For the Lightning, Thunderbolt, Marauder, Marauder Destroyer, Valkyrie and Vulture. It's a good read, not to mention the tanks involved. 8)

I personally wouldn't suggest a Valkyrie... easier to just DS the stormtroopers.

500 points would buy you a Marauder or Marauder Destroyer, though. They have the added bonus of being super heavy; so each weapon can target its own enemy.
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 May 2007, 22:26   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savon Saal
it's not what the Imperial Navy can do for you... but what you can do for the imperial Navy.

you could buy the door gunner set too
Don't buy the door gunners set! There are many things that you are better off spending your hard earned money on; likes carrots...and yarn. They're so hard to see tucked away under the wings that it's not worth it at all, and don't even get me started on how fiddly the heavy bolters themselves are! Unless you're looking directly in the back then you can barely see them. What's more, they get in the way of the flyer base rod. :-\

Here; spot the door gunners:

[hr]

A Valkyrie is a great choice for a Storm Trooper squad in my opinion, as it grants them the ability to assault as soon as their boots hit the ground, rather than deep striking and giving the enemy a whole turn to snuff them out or simply move out of range. Combined with Meltabombs or even just Meltaguns, they can swing the battle in your favour by suddenly arriving and destroying a tank instantly. This technique combined with flamers can also be great for clearing troops out of area terrain and ruins. There are many evil purposes for the Valkyrie, you just have to remember it's a facilitator, not a gunship in itself.

As for sheer killing power, well heavy smart bombs don't come cheap, but the advantage the Vulture has over other aircraft is that you can select the weapons you want for it; only the heavy bolter comes built-in. This means you can field one for as little as 100 points, ranging all the way up to just shy of 300. It all depends how much airborne killiness you think is appropriate for the game at hand.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 May 2007, 22:31   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

i hoped they where more exposed :'(

Quote:
Quote:
"We're not just gonna shoot the bastards. We're going to cut out their living guts and use them to grease the threads of our tanks, we're going to murder those bastards by the bushes!!"
Old 02 May 2007, 22:33   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savon Saal
i hoped they where more exposed :'(
Me too, bud. You can't imagine how annoyed I was when I finally got them assembled to find they were so inconspicuous they might as well not even be there. >
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 02 May 2007, 22:36   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Does it come with plain HB's to stick out the windows otherwise? :-\

Tom: Nice model

I perosnally like the Thunderbolt.
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 May 2007, 22:55   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

scratchbuild external gunmount.... crap on a stick

Quote:
Quote:
Old 03 May 2007, 00:12   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGator
Does it come with plain HB's to stick out the windows otherwise? :-\
Yeah, both stowed and deployed types. The gunners come with more posable versions.