Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

11 Things you Didn't Know about the Guard
Old 01 May 2007, 01:58   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default 11 Things you Didn't Know about the Guard

Just a bit of 1500 post fun. You may notice, I have shed my "Shas' " label, I am simply GeekyGator now (Or "Geek", or "GG" (Although that's my sisters initials so I don't like that one much :-X) Or "Gator" or whatnot)

--

11 Things you Didn’t Know about the Guard

1. In the early incarnations of 40k, the guard could take many types of beast folk and mutants- including Beastmen, Feral Ogryns, Mutant Slaves, and “Afriel Strain Soldiers”, genetically engineered from the great Heroes of the Imperium, but unlucky and unpopular.

2. Originally the Guard’s vehicles were limited to Rhinos and Landspeeders- not only both Space Marine Vehicles, but leaving out the tanks that make the guard so imposing!

3. The Imperial Guard was not always even called the Imperial Guard- In the First Edition of 40k, it was called the “[Imperial] Army”.

4. The original Imperial Guard, which appeared in WD109, relied heavily on the chain of command- squads separated from their commander were punished in their abilities.

5. The link between a Titan and its Princep has on occasion became so strong that the Titan and Princep bonded physically, and the Princep could not exit the vehicle until he died.

6. Servitors are normally either cultured from large vats or are criminals who have been punished for their crimes by being lobotomized- turning their brain into a human CPU.

7. Imperial Command vehicles for the 8000-strong infantry regiments are often “Leviathans”, which were originally built by the Squats. Since the Squats were removed from 40k, it is unclear who they are “made” by now.

8. As an ice world, Valhallans live on a type of Green Alage.

9. Some of the most famous and used Guard regiments- namely the Cadians and Armageddon Steel Legion- were introduced through global campaigns, like the Voystoryans. In fact, the Cadians originally had their own army list for the Eye of Terror campaign.

10. If you buy a Baneblade from Forge World, it comes with a unique ID number, just like the Baneblades in 40k.

11. In one of the older versions of 40k, you could field “Robots”, who’s points costs were determined by the amount of “programming” you gave them. In play they followed their instructions slavishly, so a robot that was skimpy on code may end up shooting his friends!
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2007, 03:10   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190
Default Re: 11 Things you Didn't Know about the Guard

Quote:
7. Imperial Command vehicles for the 8000-strong infantry regiments are often “Leviathans”, which were originally built by the Squats. Since the Squats were removed from 40k, it is unclear who they are “made” by now.
Of course we know who makes them! I do, I have a secret underground shop that has a time portal in it. When I finish one I send it through and I get cookies as payment!
icer190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2007, 03:25   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Ooh, fun facts from the past. A few points and amendments to your list.

Quote:
1. In the early incarnations of 40k, the guard could take many types of beast folk and mutants- including Beastmen, Feral Ogryns, Mutant Slaves, and “Afriel Strain Soldiers”, genetically engineered from the great Heroes of the Imperium, but unlucky and unpopular.
-Even better, Beastmen packs and Penal Legion squads were outfitted with explosive collars and doped up on combat drugs like Frenzon and SLAUGHT. You could also field "Human Bombs," which were basically what they sounded like.

Quote:
2. Originally the Guard’s vehicles were limited to Rhinos and Landspeeders- not only both Space Marine Vehicles, but leaving out the tanks that make the guard so imposing!
-My main opponent still plays with his Rogue Trader IG army (Necromundan 9th!) and has a Landspeeder (as well as a Rhino and Land Raider painted in his army colors). We VDR'ed it and use it in our games occasionally, even at the local GW. Best exchange with a redshirt:

Redshirt: What do you count the Landspeeder as?
Him: A Landspeeder.

Quote:
6. Servitors are normally either cultured from large vats or are criminals who have been punished for their crimes by being lobotomized- turning their brain into a human CPU.
-One of my favorite pieces of background fluff ever. Whenever a guard squad flees off the board, I always note that they'll either be executed for cowardice or mind-scrubbed and turned into Servitors. Imagine seeing one of the guys in your platoon be turned into a slack-jawed cyborg. It must do wonders for morale.

Quote:
9. Some of the most famous and used Guard regiments- namely the Cadians and Armageddon Steel Legion- were introduced through global campaigns, like the Voystoryans. In fact, the Cadians originally had their own army list for the Eye of Terror campaign.
-Incorrect. Cadians have been around since 1994 or so, back when the only plastic guardsmen were either "Imperial Army"/Necromundans or monopose stormtroopers with berets.

Here's a few of my own:

12. IG used to be able to field Dreadnoughts, and the pilots could safely eject from them.

13. Blood Axe Ork warbands were able to include squads of Imperial Guardsmen, posing as independent mercenaries to infiltrate Ork space and stir up trouble. The warboss' retinue could even include a "pet" human advisor, although his strategic advice was often of questionable value.

14. Back in Second Edition, each individual infantry squad you bought allowed you to take one "support option," which was something like a tank, Ogryns, Ratlings, or stormtroopers. This meant that when Third Edition rolled in, people either had to leave some stuff at home or buy a lot more basic infantry squads.

15. In Rogue Trader/"Black Codex" Second Edition*, Guard had bike squads.

16. In Rogue Trader/"Black Codex" Second Edition*, Guard had assault squads. With jump packs.

*"Black Codex" Second Edition refers to the little, black, abbreviated, army list booklet that was released with the Second Edition box, referred to by players as the "Black Codex." It was basically a way to keep you going until your army's codex was released, but the Guard codex obviously eliminated these options. Interestingly, the Black Codex also contains the last-ever, official Squat army list.

Anyone else have any obscure fun facts?
Ambull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2007, 03:59   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

When the third edition guard codex was released, along with rules for the Vanquisher, they said they would do an article on how to convert one in a WD. When they finally got around to it (about 50 or so issues later) the vanquisher wasn't even in the guard codex any more!
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Fish Ead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2007, 10:21   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Quote:
I have no mention of Afriel Strain Soldiers, and have the the Rogue Trader and 1st Edition army lists.

Quote:
No, originally they had no official vehicles at all!

Rhinos, Land Speeders and Land Raiders were assigned once racial vehicles were assigned.

Quote:
3. The Imperial Guard was not always even called the Imperial Guard- In the First Edition of 40k, it was called the “[Imperial] Army”.
Probably, I'd have to double check.

Quote:
4. The original Imperial Guard, which appeared in WD109, relied heavily on the chain of command- squads separated from their commander were punished in their abilities.
Must have missed that one.

Quote:
5. The link between a Titan and its Princep has on occasion became so strong that the Titan and Princep bonded physically, and the Princep could not exit the vehicle until he died.
The Collegio Titanicus is not part of the Imperial Guard structure.

Quote:
Yup.

Quote:
"Often" being a word for "virtually never" here... the Leviathan and Capitol Imperialis are pretty rare, and only really well-equipped regiments have them.

Quote:
8. As an ice world, Valhallans live on a type of Green Alage.
I always said they ate Orks for breakfast.

Quote:
What? Care to cite your evidence here? Cadians are one of the oldest Guard regiments in existence, and were released alongside the Mordians, Tallarn, Valhallans and Catachans.

Quote:
10. If you buy a Baneblade from Forge World, it comes with a unique ID number, just like the Baneblades in 40k.
Indeed.

Quote:
11. In one of the older versions of 40k, you could field “Robots”, who’s points costs were determined by the amount of “programming” you gave them. In play they followed their instructions slavishly, so a robot that was skimpy on code may end up shooting his friends!
Yup, great fun they were.

Now, some more bits of info:

18: The "Summary Execution" rule stems all the way back to 1st Edition!

19: There was once an Imperial tank known as a "Sabre", which was a Rhino chassis with an Autocannon on the front. It was very similar, both in rules and appearence, to the Destroyer Tank Hunter.

20: The original "Poster Boy" Regiment was the Necromundan 8th.

21: Back in 1st Edition, Horus and the Emperor fought in a bunker, not on a battle barge. A single Guardsman, named Olanus the Pious, stood between them and sought to protect the Emperor from Horus. For this act, he was made Patron Saint of the Imperium Guard.

22: Originally, anyone who refused to serve in the Imperial Guard was punished by conscription into a Penal Legion.

23: The Baneblade has been around since 1st Edition, and was released as a 40K vehicle before the Leman Russ was! There was no actual model, but GW produced templates so people could make them out of card and Rhino bits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2007, 13:52   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq

'7. Imperial Command vehicles for the 8000-strong infantry regiments are often “Leviathans”, which were originally built by the Squats. Since the Squats were removed from 40k, it is unclear who they are “made” by now.'

Well, seeing as though they didn't really remove the squads and erase all history of them. GW never said 'we are changing the fluff so that Squats never existed' they just wiped them out. Which means the Leviathans were still built by the Squats. Just no new ones will ever be. I've no doubt there is a forgeworld or two that can churn out reasonable copies of them. But most in service currently, will still have been ones made the Squats.
Old 01 May 2007, 13:57   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Well, I based all of this off of Wikipedia/my background knowledge.

IIRC, a special army list was released for Cadians for Codex: Eye of Terror, Ambull+ Wargamer, which is what I meant. My apologies for being ambiguous/unclear in meaning.

Hope you enjoyed my silly facts.
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2007, 15:42   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq

You can use Afriel Strain Soldiers now with some Doctrines released in a WD. I think it gave them And They Shall Know No Fear. But theres some pretty harsh drawback IRC.
Old 01 May 2007, 16:18   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to erebus Send a message via MSN to erebus Send a message via Yahoo to erebus

Afriel Strains? Those albino clones of great imperial heros etc? look in your back issues of WD somewere about 300-ish (about the time they released star wars episode 2 isn't it? ) their doctrines are in there as well as the current/modern(although it might be the first mention of them) explanation for them , from memory is something like they were an attempt to bolster space marine chapter back to the strength of the legions, but they couldn't be fitted with most of the implants and were based on regular human(I.E. not manipulated and enhanced primarch DNA)DNA so in essence became mere peak humans were space marines are super-humans.

Like Arnie in "Twins".

Although that would mean an army of Danny Devitos as well...

Edit: Found the numbers WD303 for UK WD302 for US

erebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2007, 18:59   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

+++I knew most of them but no.6 was interesting. I`ve always wondered about that.+++

Sig by Drobot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineluki
Is a nice guy, though he shouldn't 'have to sig' something someone else says, just to please them.
[quote=Hadhfang]
Is just awesome, and probably emits an aura of Awesomage!
[
Hate Enriches
Sven-Kaiser of Krieg is offline   Reply With Quote