Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Old 29 Apr 2007, 15:37   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default newbie

Hey,

I'm new to the guard (having played marines for a while) and I've looked at the 'starting a guard army' topics which are very informative but i was wondering what kind of fire support squads you run with your HQ. I'm torn between Mortars, Heavy Bolters and Autocannons.

Also do you take heavy weapons in your infantry platoons and what kind of heavies do you take.

And i was thinking of taking a couple of sentinals with las-cannons as some mobile tank killing-ness (thinking of one on each flank) is this worth it, or would they get blown to pieces?

Thanks guys ;D

Neepalm.
"Back on Karonus IV We were ambushed by Orks and my whole squad was destroyed, i was out of ammo, but i beat the last green skin to death with his own leg. And i don't know if you know but that takes a hell-ov-a long time" - Veteran Sergeant Neepalm
Sgt. Neepalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Apr 2007, 18:07   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: newbie

The Imperial Guard has heavy weapons coming out the yin-yang, so I think it'd best to nestle such high-profile heavy weapons as lascannons within infantry squads where they cannot be so readily picked out and silenced. Vehicles are bullet magnets at the best of times, but when they're that poorly armoured, open topped and armed with an expensive and powerful weapon, they've got the life expectancy of a goose egg on a golf course.

Heavy weapons teams taken as part of the HQ are a must in my opinion. Not only do they allow you to establish a hefty firebase without eating into your heavy support allocation, but as part of the HQ choice they're deployed second from last in normal games (not including infiltrators), which means they can often be positioned in such a way to have line of sight to their enemy of choice from the get-go, or otherwise cover a specific avenue of approach.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Apr 2007, 18:31   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Location: Kansas, United States, North America, Western Hemisphere, World, Milky way, universe
Send a message via AIM to valhallen_warrior Send a message via MSN to valhallen_warrior Send a message via Skype™ to valhallen_warrior

i have each squad given a certain job, fitted out for that task and that task alone. Fire support sqauds have heavy weapons and a long range specail weapon ince they really never move. My mobile squads use lasgunns, sarges with bolt pistols, and a short range specail like flamers or melta. thus it really depends what thier job is in reference to what i give them.

For fire support squads, i like autocannons. mortars dont do anything unless your against gaunt heavy nids, or boy heavy Orks.

The sentinals sound like a plan to me. Sure they'll get blown up but you get 2 for the price of one tank, that means it will have to kill 2 sentinals before the 2 lascannons rip it in half. ;D

"I have no delusions of divinity. We are men, not gods. Man is his own god, his own devil, his own death--we are created in our own image, yet imprisoned by the face we call our own. I will remake the world as I have remade my face." - The Black Mask
valhallen_warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Apr 2007, 19:34   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Lazcannons on Sentinels I have found to be an utter waste of points. I much prefer to run Autocannon or multi-laz variants, because then you tend to use the walker much more like ultraheavy infantry.

Lazcannons increase the 'want to kill' factor on the fragile unit. So it gets trashed much faster than if it was armed with a diffrent weapon. As for heavy weapons I don't generally have that many in my army, however embedded autocannon in one of the platoons gives you the ability to soak up fire and still have that Autocannon shooting up the enemy.

Mortars are good, and heavy mortars are plain evil. FW should really nerf them a bit. Mortars however are less of a killing weapon, more of one to keep your opponent thinking. The lack of LOS being needed can force light troops to move, or can pin them and basically take them out of action.

Genmotty
Genmotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Apr 2007, 19:41   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Nuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genmotty
Lazcannons increase the 'want to kill' factor on the fragile unit. So it gets trashed much faster than if it was armed with a diffrent weapon. As for heavy weapons I don't generally have that many in my army, however embedded autocannon in one of the platoons gives you the ability to soak up fire and still have that Autocannon shooting up the enemy.

Genmotty
That's entirely true. An Autocannon sentinel looks MUCH less imposing than a lascannon sentinel, for sure.

As a Tau player, I usually like to kill anything with the words "las", "Russ", or "Basilisk" first.

"He who opens a school door, closes a prison." -Victor Hugo
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Apr 2007, 09:43   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke
...As a Tau player, I usually like to kill anything with the words "las", "Russ", or "Basilisk" first.
Ah yes, all fear the dreaded laspistol and infamous Russ Leman.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Apr 2007, 19:01   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

+++Probably mortars. My Command squad stays back and fires it`s mortar. Good cover fire whilst rest of the army charges. Oh, and welcome to the guard. +++

Sig by Drobot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineluki
Is a nice guy, though he shouldn't 'have to sig' something someone else says, just to please them.
[quote=Hadhfang]
Is just awesome, and probably emits an aura of Awesomage!
[
Hate Enriches
Sven-Kaiser of Krieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Apr 2007, 20:49   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Nuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke
...As a Tau player, I usually like to kill anything with the words "las", "Russ", or "Basilisk" first.
Ah yes, all fear the dreaded laspistol and infamous Russ Leman.
Oops! I just noticed that! Oh well... I tend to refer to lasguns/pistols as angry flashlights, so I guess that's an excuse .

Then again, if there is a platoon of guardsmen 16 or so inches from my lines, the word "lasgun" begins to register as a threat!

"He who opens a school door, closes a prison." -Victor Hugo
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 May 2007, 23:07   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

heavy weapons in infantry: yes. a heavy bolter tossed in here and there is well worth its points, even if you have to move and not fire it from time to time. infantry squads should be in my opinion, the only ones to carry a lascannon, because, as has been stated above, they are instant targets, and the squad around them can protect them a lot better than a 5-man command squad or 3 ammo bearers.

sentinels: either use in force as an attack group, hopefully blowing the bejesus out of anything that can fire back at them, or use them singly with a dedicated role. The hvy flamer ones I like best because you aren't threatening so he may survive longer because there are juicier targets on the field, then you run him in, flame, and charge, thereby blocking an advance of average grunt troops who have a hard time hurting it. A lascannon sentinel repositioned after deployment to be in cover but in a position to pop out and 'snipe' with his lascannon can almost 50/50% chance destroy a far more expensive enemy vehicle, but will probably die from return fire.

The problem with the sentinel is that it is very killable by big guns, but if you slow up an advance that would otherwise overwhelm your static troops he should be worth the points. Just try to keep them out of Line-o-sight and hover behind a treeline or building in the middle so he will balk at coming within charge range, gaining your static guys a couple of turns of firing as he tries to edge around the sentinel's threat area. Remember that powerfists in the hands of even a mediocre marine Sarge or Ork nob will smash you easily. Try to charge grunt squads that don't have a leader wearing one and you will tie them up all game.
Guitardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 May 2007, 15:51   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to 33rd Sirican Redbacks

I like Autocannons because str7 can hurt transports and medium tanks, and it fires 2 shots to kill infantry,
also missile launchers are cool; frag missiles are the same as a mortar round, and kraks can hurt any tank
and smack marines and necrons.