Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

What do you think of the practicality of...
Old 25 Apr 2007, 01:25   #1 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190
Default What do you think of the practicality of...

Building an all-infantry IG list over the course of a year? I'm talking 300 odd IG in my 2000 point list. And how do you think it would do?
icer190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Apr 2007, 02:28   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: What do you think of the practicality of...

I'm not an expert on IG, having only played them for a short while, but from what I can tell that would definitely be a hard army to take down without serious amounts of anti-infantry. Although an all gaunt 'nids army probably wouldn't have too much problems.
ThatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Apr 2007, 03:52   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

that would be so cool to have that much infantry. anyway it would only work if you had a crap load of heavy and special weapons. and maybe a sential or two (they are like the infantry of vehicals). and you should include some Last Chancers, or Vets, or grenadiers/storm troopers so you have some skilled infantry. Maybe some snipers here and there. oh and you should use some chimeras (not infantry but a good weapon platform). maybe the doctrines: close order drill, grenadeirs, carapace/chamoline, light infantry, i'm not sure what else.

dyk.themuffinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Apr 2007, 04:36   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Location: Kansas, United States, North America, Western Hemisphere, World, Milky way, universe
Send a message via AIM to valhallen_warrior Send a message via MSN to valhallen_warrior Send a message via Skype™ to valhallen_warrior

that would be nice but it'll take forever to get that many models.

That would be insanley difficult to beat unless you had masses of ordanance and heavy bolters and autocannons and assault cannons and the like.

that or a bunch of gaunts as allready mentioned. Otherwise you just wouldnt be able to kill enough of them before the game ended

"I have no delusions of divinity. We are men, not gods. Man is his own god, his own devil, his own death--we are created in our own image, yet imprisoned by the face we call our own. I will remake the world as I have remade my face." - The Black Mask
valhallen_warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Apr 2007, 04:45   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

well, I have seen 312 guardsmen in 2500 pts (2 1250 pt IG armies as a team).

was great for tournament, as turns and setup were so absurdly long that the opposing team never really got to whittle them down under the time limit.

downside was there was not a whole lot of non-flashlight firepower in that army, although if you take more conscript squads you might be able to squeeze in more than the handful of rocket launchers they had.

although i have seen an all-infantry firepower IG army... every squad with special and heavy, maxed HW platoons for HQ and heavy support... was downright scary the amount of firepower that threw down.

hmm.. don't think the last chancers are worth it. they sure are cool tho! miss their special rules...

vets...are mean. 3 specials and a heavy, and the sarge can pack something too.

snipers.... eh? ratlings are quite good for their cost, but you can only have one squad...

for absolutely points-free adsurdity, with all-infantry try drop troops + close order drill. "arghh!! its raining IG again!! and they're in tight formation!!"

http://www.maj.com/gallery/Tauroc/Si..._berserker.gif
HailTheRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Apr 2007, 11:01   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190

I'm thinking along the lines of 3 normal platoons, one will have only 4 squads, 3 full conscript platoons, and one Commissar Gaunt. And my normal HQ etcetera...

Gaunt is not really Gaunt but a famous commissar from their planet. Thus why I'm not using Yarrick
icer190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Apr 2007, 16:47   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Its evil. Quite simply you don't even have to worry about a lack of heavy weapons because you will not die.

Most army's are designedly with some AT in mind, however when you bang down 200+ troops on a table and no tanks they are like; "What am I going to do with those broadsides now?" Your main worries will be enemy troops and those odd ordinance weapons.

But why worry? They have to hit you again and again and again before they start to do damage. This is one of the resons why I like my maxed out conscript platoons because they are cheap cannon fodder. They run forward as most of the army soaking up fire while behind my regulars do the major shooting with Autocannons. Then I have my sentinels coming up a flank with a squad of Vets or Stormie's for support. Overall it tends to work rather well. Its not fool proof, but pretty damn close.

I disagree with Chimeras in the past the site of that single tracked vehicle just leads itself to getting shot.

Genmotty
Genmotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Apr 2007, 17:09   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Well, I'd love the face that army honestly. IG have terrible morale, so you're going to have to buy stuff like trademark items, honorifics, and vox for everyone. Next, they will just sit there if they want to shoot their heavies, so units on the far left or right will not be able to help each other; also they will be so bunched up and spead wide that half will not shoot every turn. Ordinance and flamer templates will make them dissapear unless you are doing human pyramids in terrain.

What doctrines?

Any heavy weapons squads?

Any elites?

Shaso Wanax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Apr 2007, 18:13   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

If you're going to bring vehicals, bring at least one per 500 points or so, otherwise ALL the enemy's AT fire will be on one Chimera- and that's not pretty with AV12 front.
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Apr 2007, 20:25   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Grandpa Ducky Send a message via Yahoo to Grandpa Ducky

My boyz would love to fight you. 300-odd Guardsmen to kill? Sounds like fun.

I say go for it.

-Grandpa Ducky

Grandpa Ducky is offline   Reply With Quote