Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Could a Leman Russ be air lifted into battle?
Old 22 Apr 2007, 22:29   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Could a Leman Russ be air lifted into battle?

I'm writing some background fluff for an Imperial Guard army that has taken the Drop Troops doctorine. The army is infantry-heavy, of course, but also has Leman Russ tanks among them as well. Since all the troops are expected to be able to grav-chute out of the sky, I was wondering if it would be possible to do the same thing for the tanks given the kind of technology the Imperial Guard has at its disposal? Perhaps not literally be dumped out of the sky like the rest of the paratroopers, but at least hooked up to some modestly-sized transport and flown somewhere close to the battle before being set down on the ground and released - would this be possible given the practical limits of Imperial Guard technology?
Signal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Apr 2007, 23:26   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to erebus Send a message via MSN to erebus Send a message via Yahoo to erebus
Default Re: Could a Leman Russ be air lifted into battle?

Imperial Guard tech, no, remember they aren't supposed to have flyers.

The Navy could, but I think with the size of a russ and the vulnerability posed to a flyer landing something that big "close to the battle" or even as close as possible is still going to be a significant distance, and more importantly travel time before its able to help out the troops.

Its possible, its just not feasible. In theory you could design a leman russ variant that was made lighter -say an auto cannon instead of a battle cannon no and sponsons and drop ship capable of deploying it but then you'd be better off dropping in weapons teams by chute to get the same fire-power for less work.
erebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Apr 2007, 23:27   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

There are heavy transports that move massive amounts of armour from A-B; the sort that deploy battlegroups from orbit, but you're talking about something maybe Thunderhawk sized, right? The Leman Russ weighs 60 tonnes, so 'airlifting' in the conventional sense is out of the question. It could be done, but it'd be a massive operation with gargantuan aircraft far beyond the scope of a 'combat drop'.

Space Marines can do it, but they've got the very best equipment. Like Deadpool said, this is just beyond comparitively a low-tech army like the Imperial Guard.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Apr 2007, 02:35   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

my friend says that his drop troops are infantry support for an armoured regiment for his fluff

dyk.themuffinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2007, 18:28   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

+++Remember that you don`t have to have grav chutes. The codex suggests that drilling machines are rarely used. I am not saying you should take this option if you have already writen fluff.(personaly I don`t like it, a bit to Thunderbird ish.)+++

Sig by Drobot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineluki
Is a nice guy, though he shouldn't 'have to sig' something someone else says, just to please them.
[quote=Hadhfang]
Is just awesome, and probably emits an aura of Awesomage!
[
Hate Enriches
Sven-Kaiser of Krieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2007, 19:02   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

My guess is that you aren't going to be moving Leman Russ around without full Imperial Navy landing craft. I have never heard of anything on even the scale of a Thunderhawk that could move IG tanks that size. On the other hand, it would not be a surprise to me for Forge World to create something like that if Apocalypse proves to be a success.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2007, 19:10   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Tactica Imperialis makes mention of Imperial Tank-landers (they're armed with six battle-cannons!), but even with those it's a slow and difficult operation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2007, 19:17   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via AIM to Praying Mantidae Send a message via MSN to Praying Mantidae

There is the Thunderhawk Transporter, which can carry either two rhinos, or a Land Raider. Its possible that it could carry a Russ, except its a Space Marine craft, so I don't think they'd be too keen on giving it away.
Praying Mantidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2007, 19:42   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
Tactica Imperialis makes mention of Imperial Tank-landers (they're armed with six battle-cannons!), but even with those it's a slow and difficult operation.
:O That is awesome!
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2007, 21:06   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Elcampbello

Could be dropped from really high altidute with some huge retro rockets.