Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Trackguards, worth it or not?
Old 08 Apr 2007, 20:33   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via Yahoo to MaddPhish
Default Trackguards, worth it or not?

I've been looking at these and wondering wether they're worth their points are not. Sure immobilization is bad, but these things are rather expensive for the fact they only work on a roll of 4+. What are your opinions on them? I've been thinking that on vehicles where mobility isn't such a problem, like a Leman Russ MBT they're wasted, but might be useful on a chimera.
WHOILE FOLLOW EYEZ DA STEDDY KEEL DA VESSUL GRIM AN' DARIN':
BUT O 'ERT, 'ERT, 'ERT!
O DA BLEEDIN' DROPS O RED!
WHERE ON DA DEKK ME KAP'N LIES,
FALL'N KOLD AN' DEDD.

OI KAP'N MOI KAP'N! ROIZE UP AN' 'EAR DA WAAAGH!
ROIZE UP FER YEZ - DA BANNER IZ FLUNG - FER YEZ DA SHOOTA DAKKAZ;
FER YEZ POINTY STIKKS AN' IRON GOBZ - FER YEZ DA GROT PITZ A-CROWDIN;
FER YEZ DEY KALL, DA MOBBIN' BOYZ, DER EAGER MUGZ TURNIN';
OI KAP'N!
MaddPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Apr 2007, 20:47   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Grandpa Ducky Send a message via Yahoo to Grandpa Ducky
Default Re: Trackguards, worth it or not?

I think I agree with you. On something where mobility is important, they're a good idea. Otherwise, on stuff with insane ranges (Russ, Vanquisher, Basilisk, Griffion (maybe?)) they seem slightly pointless. So what if your Vanquisher gets immobilized right off the bat, you still can blast any tanks within 96 inches!

Yep. I'd give them to Chimera's, Hellhound's, and Salamander's for sure, but otherwise I don't think I'd issue them out to much.

Grandpa Ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Apr 2007, 20:58   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Nuke

I agree. Long ranged tanks don't need Track Guards. Also, I have another little problem with them:

Even if the track guard does its job, you don't get to shoot next turn. Personally, I'd rather have an immobilized tank that can at least shoot as opposed to a stunned tank, which will be taken apart at my opponent's leisure (likely next turn.)

My point is this: If my tank is going to die anyway (who only shoots at a tank once, hmm?), it midaswell get a shot or two off first.

"He who opens a school door, closes a prison." -Victor Hugo
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Apr 2007, 23:30   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke
I agree. Long ranged tanks don't need Track Guards. Also, I have another little problem with them:

Even if the track guard does its job, you don't get to shoot next turn. Personally, I'd rather have an immobilized tank that can at least shoot as opposed to a stunned tank, which will be taken apart at my opponent's leisure (likely next turn.)

My point is this: If my tank is going to die anyway (who only shoots at a tank once, hmm?), it midaswell get a shot or two off first.
That's not an unreasonable standpoint in the event of a glancing hit, but an immobilized result on the penetrating hit table is coupled with crew stunned anyway.

My vehicles all have track guards because I think they look cool. I like to exercise WYSIWYG. I don't know whether or not it's worth it on some of the tanks, but if I'm going to represent them on the model, I like to represent them in game terms too.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Apr 2007, 00:30   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

absolutely worth it. because it has angered me time after time to have a vehicle that i never needed to move considered 'dead' for points purposes even though it was right their on the hill blasting away. immobilized rules are badly written, and track guards heal this. on a chim i prefer the 'extra armor' because they do actually move, but on my russes track guards save you almost 200 vp's half the time. look at the cost... it's a choice of a non killed tank or 1 extra useless power weapon or something. track guards rock.
Guitardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Apr 2007, 04:26   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

if i were you, i would save 5 pts and take a dozer blade. stay in cover for the 4+ save against anything that happens instead of just being saved from immobilisation. and whos gonna roll two 1's in a row. sure it happens but i think the benefits are better for a dozer blade(rough terrain mod i think its called.)

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it
every six months.

Teamwork is essential -- it allows you to blame someone else.

--thanks to DRobot
FiremaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Apr 2007, 08:31   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiremaN
if i were you, i would save 5 pts and take a dozer blade. stay in cover for the 4+ save against anything that happens instead of just being saved from immobilisation. and whos gonna roll two 1's in a row. sure it happens but i think the benefits are better for a dozer blade(rough terrain mod i think its called.)
A 50% chance to reduce a penetrating hit to glancing is by no means a guarantee of survival and has precious little application on the battlefield anyway; tanks are more than a collection of big guns, they're rolling cover, and if you can't move normally and use them to block line of sight to troops and transports behind then you're overlooking a principle use. What's more, an immobile tank is easily avoided in most games and the ability to move and still fire heavy weapons, thus putting pressure on valuable units, is another advantage of vehicles and one that is squandered by sitting in a bush and waiting for a worthwhile target to pop out.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 09 Apr 2007, 19:21   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to The Lost Waywatcher

What if you have 14 tanks in your army. It's a costly affair to buy it for every tank.
Simply put - paint your damn minis! ;D

The Lost Waywatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Apr 2007, 19:59   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Grandpa Ducky Send a message via Yahoo to Grandpa Ducky

Yeah, Banished Ranger, it would be expensive to buy all those tanks track guards. Luckily, you don't need them for all the tanks. I wouldn't waste my points on equipping something like a Bassie who's just going to sit behind my lines and drop pie plates on the enemy. Likewise, the Vanquisher probably wouldn't be issued track guards in my book. If something was able to shoot out the tracks on your Vanquisher, odds are you can see it (and slam it with a shell next turn). Other tanks I'd skip the track guards on would be the Russ, Laser Destroyer, Griffion, et cetera...

I'd only spend the points on track guards for tanks that need mobility. Tanks like the Hellhound (Bane of my Boyz), Chimera, Salamander, and Demolisher (and perhaps the Conquerer). Those tanks, if they're immobilized, become nothing but road block for the rest of you advancing troops and one hell of a magnet for enemy fire.

Hope that helps,

-Grandpa Ducky

Grandpa Ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Apr 2007, 20:17   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Banished Ranger
What if you have 14 tanks in your army. It's a costly affair to buy it for every tank.
Yeah that'd be expensive, you could almost buy another tank with that. But like I said, I just buy them because I think they look cool.

Fourteen tanks in one army is a bit much though. I mean, you might expect to see that if you were playing a 4000 point game or something, but otherwise even the leanest 1500 point armoured battlegroup can only afford to put nine on the table.