Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

A better light tank.
Old 05 Apr 2007, 21:05   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default A better light tank.

Well, after Stankov and Novae's debate about the Conquerer and its mertis/lack of merits, I think it's high time that we had a new light tank. The vehical moving/firing rules make it almost obsolete, but I fail to see how that in a billion world Imperium you only have two classes of tanks: Heavy, and Super Heavy.

So please help me hammer out a house rule light tank, for all of us that like the Conquerer's aspects save paying-through-the-nose for it.

I think that such a tank should be good for firing on the move, be not much more than 100 points, and have a decent explosive gun.

<Insert Name Here> Light Tank V0.1

100 PTS+ Weapons AV: Front 13, Side 12, Rear 10

Weapons: The <> is armed with a Turret-Mounted <> Cannon with a coaxial heavy stubber. It must be armed with a hull mounted Lascannon (20 Pts), Autocannon (10 pts) or Heavy Bolter (5 pts). It may be armed with Heavy Bolter sponsons (10 pts), Heavy Flamer sponsons (5 pts) or TL'd heavy stubber sponsons (5 pts).

This tank may be given any of the upgrades from the IG Codex: Camo-netting, Hunter Killer Missile, Improbed Comms, Pintile-Mounted Heavy Stubber, Pintile-Mounted Storm Bolter, Rough Terrain Modification, Track Guards, Smoke Launchers

<> Cannon

Range: ???Inches, STR 6, AP3, Heavy1/Blast

So if anyone would like to comment on the (especially) Name, Armor, Weponry, or especially the cannon, I think it would be great.

P.S.- Novae, it says the Conquerer plans are on Mars. So theroretically, out of the thousands of forge worlds, one or two may have gotten the plans and made a few.
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Apr 2007, 22:12   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: A better light tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'O GeekyGator
So if anyone would like to comment on the (especially) Name, Armor, Weaponry, or especially the cannon, I think it would be great.

The Prowler Light Tank

Stub Cannon- (Larger variant of the heavy stubber).
Range: 48", STR: 6, AP: 3, Heavy1, small blast radius

Weapons: The The Prowler Light Tank is armed with a Turret-Mounted Stub Cannon or Autocannon with a coaxial heavy stubber. It must be armed with a hull mounted, Heavy Bolter (5 pts) or Heavy Flamer (5pts). It may be armed with Heavy Bolter sponsons (10 pts), Heavy Flamer sponsons (5 pts) or Multimelta sponsons (10 pts).

Giving it a hull mounted Autocannon is a bit too powerfull in my opinion and it should be classed as a 'fast' vehicle. To represent its 'lightness'

I think what is needed is a tank which is designed so that it is designed to move, unlike the more or less stationary Leman Russ or other vehicles. Thats why you give it multimeltas which are 12" weapons so to get any use from them you have to get close. Or you can give it bolter's to mow infantry down or flamers to toast GEQ when they get too close/when you get close to them.

On the main weapon front I think you need a choice to two weapons either one big bang for your buck or two with more chance of hitting, but less powerful at killing armour. Because the Autocannon is very similar statswise to what I've called the Stub Cannon why not use that?

Genmotty
Genmotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Apr 2007, 22:25   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Aren't Chimeras already classified as Light tanks? I think their pretty awesome for 85 points you can have 2 heavy bolters with 12 10 10 armour, plus there are additional versions of the Chimera in the Imperial armour with a autocannon which is the spiff.

I think a range of 36' inches with str.6 ap 3 would be pretty fair for the amount of points, its a cool idea for a tank for sure.
RicoLousianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Apr 2007, 23:01   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Hellhound is also another option that isn't quite up to "tank" status.

Nothing wrong with a mobile tank, but it's going to have to be substantially more than 100ish points if you want it to fire as a fast vehicle, have solid armor, AND have pie plates of SM killing.

I really suggest starting with something from VDR, and tweaking from there.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Apr 2007, 23:02   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genmotty
Quote:
So if anyone would like to comment on the (especially) Name, Armor, Weaponry, or especially the cannon, I think it would be great.

The Prowler Light Tank

Stub Cannon- (Larger variant of the heavy stubber).
Range: 48", STR: 6, AP: 3, Heavy1, small blast radius

Weapons: The The Prowler Light Tank is armed with a Turret-Mounted Stub Cannon or Autocannon with a coaxial heavy stubber. It must be armed with a hull mounted, Heavy Bolter (5 pts) or Heavy Flamer (5pts). It may be armed with Heavy Bolter sponsons (10 pts), Heavy Flamer sponsons (5 pts) or Multimelta sponsons (10 pts).

Giving it a hull mounted Autocannon is a bit too powerfull in my opinion and it should be classed as a 'fast' vehicle. To represent its 'lightness'

I think what is needed is a tank which is designed so that it is designed to move, unlike the more or less stationary Leman Russ or other vehicles. Thats why you give it multimeltas which are 12" weapons so to get any use from them you have to get close. Or you can give it bolter's to mow infantry down or flamers to toast GEQ when they get too close/when you get close to them.

On the main weapon front I think you need a choice to two weapons either one big bang for your buck or two with more chance of hitting, but less powerful at killing armour. Because the Autocannon is very similar statswise to what I've called the Stub Cannon why not use that?

Genmotty
Ok then, It can be armed with a Stub Cannon or Autocannon. This will be good since the Stub Cannon is AP3, but a bit more risky since you may only be able to get one model with the template, while the Autocannon is S7, better for nailing transports. Similar to the Multilaser/Heavy Bolter choice on the Chimera.

I don't know about the sponsons, to me it should have stubbers as a choice, just because those are so much lighter weapons than the Heavy Bolter. 'Tis debatable though. I really like your name for it... the Prowler sounds very appropriate.

Rico, I dunno about the range, I mean it is 100 points so I think that 36' might be shortchanging people a little. We'll have to get the mod-experts (Novae, Tom, Krez, Stankov (is he a mod?)) in to hammer it all out.

Tyndmyr- who said anything about fast? I doubt it should be fast, since that'd give it 24" move range- much too fast for a tracked vehical. Maybe the ability to fire its wepaons when moving 12" though.
Old 05 Apr 2007, 23:17   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Fire as a fast vehicle, then. Tau has it as a 5pt upgrade with a multitracker, though honestly, tau dont run a lot of weapons on a given tank. Id say up the price of this ability for every weapons system added on.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Apr 2007, 00:12   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

the shadrash light tank

120 pts+weapons, 12front, 12side, 10rear, bs 3

Weapons:
turret mounted pounder gun and hull mounted lascannon at +15, or heavy boloter at +5, or a multi melta at +15, or a flammer at +5

pounder gun

Rng 36", Str 6, Ap 4, heavy 2

dyk.themuffinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Apr 2007, 01:30   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Rico, I dunno about the range, I mean it is 100 points so I think that 36' might be shortchanging people a little. We'll have to get the mod-experts (Novae, Tom, Krez, Stankov (is he a mod?)) in to hammer it all out.
Nice to be thought of as an expert, but the only mod on that list is Krez .

[hr]

One thing you have to consider is just how light you want your tank to be. You could base the vehicle on the Land Crawler/Gotterdamerung, which is just a rolling soapbox, the Chimera chassis, or the Russ.

My rules for the Siegfried can be found here. Consider exchanging the Lascannon for an Autocannon or Multilaser.

The Chimera is a good starting point for a vehicle because it's got decent but not massive armour, is highly mobile (anphibious and fluffwise twice as fast as a Russ), and it's turret can be rebuilt to accomodate pretty much anything. The Conqueror cannon isn't inherently that bad of a gun, it's just a waste of the Russ cannon. Bolt one onto a Chimera, and you'd have a very, very nice tank.
AuinMyrrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Apr 2007, 01:54   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dra'Tuisich-Novae
Quote:

[hr]
But... but... but... :-X ??? You've got the special stars! The little round dot things!

THE WHOLE WORLD IS A LIE!!!

[hr]

Anyways...

Hmm... well, do you think you could get away with putting AV13 front armor on a chimera hull? (and 11 or 12 side)? I figure you could excuse it because you're putting a bigger, badder, more powerful engine where all those men used to be. Mod Expert's opinion?
Old 06 Apr 2007, 03:36   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dra'Tuisich-Novae
Quote:

[hr]
But... but... but... :-X ??? You've got the special stars! The little round dot things!

THE WHOLE WORLD IS A LIE!!!
Hehe, not sure about that... on my theme everyone has those round red dots of doom.

Quote:
Anyways...

Hmm... well, do you think you could get away with putting AV13 front armor on a chimera hull? (and 11 or 12 side)? I figure you could excuse it because you're putting a bigger, badder, more powerful engine where all those men used to be. Mod Expert's opinion?
You could get away with 13/11/10, but no higher than that IMO. You can downarmour a chassis, but there's a limit to how much uparmouring you can do without straining the engine to death. As you said though, a bigger engine helps remedy that.

The Atlas, based on the Russ chassis, actually has worse armour than a Chimera, so make of it what you will. It has to tow a 60-tonne Russ, so it needs to be as light as it can be itself.

[hr]

This is my personal rendition of a light tank...

Conquest Light Tank
[table][tr][td] [/td][td]Cost[/td][td]Front[/td][td]Side[/td][td]Rear[/td][td]Bs[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Conquest[/td][td]90[/td][td]12[/td][td]10[/td][td]10[/td][td]3[/td][/tr][/table]

Type: Tank Crew: Imperial Guard
Weapons: The Conquest is armed with a turret-mounted Conqueror Cannon and hull-mounted Heavy Bolter.
Special Rules:
Amphibious Vehicle

AuinMyrrath is offline   Reply With Quote