Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Veterans or Grenadiers
View Poll Results: For a "based" army, what would you prefer?
Veterans 15 62.50%
Grenadiers 9 37.50%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04 Apr 2007, 23:15   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Veterans or Grenadiers

If you were going to base an army off of either Grenadeirs or Veterans, which would you choose?

Veterans: You'd have to take Doctorine-Upgraded regular infantry to supplement it, but Veterans seem a bit better than Grenadiers, since they have Infiltrate. They also get 3 SW's, but they have lasguns as opposed to hellguns and targeters.

Grenadiers: Have hellguns and targeters, better armor, but can't use doctorines.

Which would you choose?
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Apr 2007, 23:19   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Veterans or Grenadiers

Totally differnet roles, since Veterans are Elites and Grenediers are bastardized (but cool) Troops.

As for Veterans versus Stormtroopers, it's a tossup... they both have alot going for them, but I know Redbeard will be delighted to espose the values of Veteran squads.
AuinMyrrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Apr 2007, 02:03   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

I prefer Veterans. Much more oppurtnity for modelling personalization, fluff, and playing styles.

Veterans have an aire of almost sanctity around them. Back in 3rd Ed., they could be given almost any weapon in the armory, officers could be added, they could take a transport, they could take all sorts of things. Yes, you can still get some in 3rd, but not as much.

Still however, Greandiers, game-wise, just can't beat Veterans overall. Veterans are adaptable, and at the same time, specialized in whatever you outfit them for.

I'd go Vets.

Stankov

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Ge. Stankov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Apr 2007, 02:19   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Mrgame

Vets all the way, as said, its much easier and in a way funner to convert and make fluff up for them, more character I guess you can say.

Vets are a good unit to set to any task, anti tank hunting, suicide chargeing squad, line filler, objective taker,ect, I like this unit better then stormtroopers. Not to mention, who doesnt liek that free infiltrate and there only two points less then a stormtrooper I belive.

Fun making a vet regiment and the like. 8)
Mrgame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Apr 2007, 03:53   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Location: Kansas, United States, North America, Western Hemisphere, World, Milky way, universe
Send a message via AIM to valhallen_warrior Send a message via MSN to valhallen_warrior Send a message via Skype™ to valhallen_warrior

well... im for vets.

Its allready been stated that they are easeir and cooler to convert. Its also allready been stated that they are versetile.

ummm im sure i was goin somewhere with this but ive forgotten... ill edit if i figure it out. ???

"I have no delusions of divinity. We are men, not gods. Man is his own god, his own devil, his own death--we are created in our own image, yet imprisoned by the face we call our own. I will remake the world as I have remade my face." - The Black Mask
valhallen_warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Apr 2007, 08:20   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

stormies/grenadiers

Jut because of the carapcae alreay built in and you can take a unit as troops.

-BUT-

You could always take the carapce doctrine for the veterans are equal to the grenadiers: and thats befre adding the amount of weaponry you can have! And the buried power fist. Saying that - go veterans. Work well with the entire army...

Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Apr 2007, 12:59   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190

I am personally all about the Grenadiers. Why? AP 5 hellguns, the carapace, and the awsome look.
icer190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Apr 2007, 13:25   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

I keep swapping I like Stormtroops from the fluff and general look. However Vets are much more fun to play with and they don't scream; 'elite unit, shoot me!' which is a good thing.

As a base for your army Vets are better if your want lots of men, because you can more or less hide them amongst the rest and then its very hard to pick them off. However if you like armour you may want to go stormtroops so that you are 'dead 'ard' and can pile out and kill stuff straight away.

Both play diffrent so it depends a lot. Anyhow the old stormtroops looked so much better than these 'Kaskin' [CENSORED]...
Genmotty
Genmotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Apr 2007, 14:12   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Ah. What would you suggest to go with the Vets for troops? A low points infantry platoon and an armoured fist? Maybe tooled up with doctorines?

I like Vets better but I think Grenadiers/Stormtroops might go better for an army since you can get those elite units in your troops; you don't have to take any normal infantry.
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Apr 2007, 14:28   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

You don't have to take any normal infantry to use vets: onlyh minimum troops choice.

Or was that what you were on about? ???
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote