Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

The 1171st Reglanders New Equipment?
View Poll Results: What should be the 1171st new weapon?
An Imperail Baneblade 5 22.73%
A Thudd Gun 4 18.18%
A set of Heavy Mortars 9 40.91%
An Imperail Stormsword 2 9.09%
A Medusa Seige Gun/Earthshaker Cannon 2 9.09%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03 Apr 2007, 22:51   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default The 1171st Reglanders New Equipment?

Well considering that three members of my local group have upgraded their armies with forge world stuff. Namely two flyer's and a Thudd Gun I thought it was about time to look at my army again.

Currently I can field;
-Four Full conscript platoons with flamers/meltas as special weapons
-Two Full Regular platoons with attached heavy weapons teams (autocannon or mortars at my discretion) and meltas and grenade launchers and special weapons
-Up to four stormtrooper squads (if I was to)
-Two vet squads (with melta guns)
-12 'normal' sentinels (with autocannon or multi-laz attachments
-2 converted multimelta sentinels
-1 converted missile sentinel (bassically a home built missile pod instead of a gun)
-2 Hellhounds
-1 Chimera

This is only a quick break down of my army as it stands, I've got probs enough extra men to build another platoon, but I don't play games that big normally. Its to give you a rough flavour of my army and to help you help me in deciding how I should improve my army.

An Imperial Baneblade
In the past this super heavy has got a warm reception on TO as being a good 'all rounder' heavy. However as I genrally play city fight style games I wonder as to its overall effectiveness in this situation. Additionally it may be a huge points sink which would detract from the rest of my army.

A Thudd Gun
Looking at the cost I am unsure if I want to invest in three of these. Also from what I have seen of my friends gun it literally messes horde armies up very bad. It this way I don't want my army to be a 'pie plate of doom' style. I would like to hear of their overall effectiveness and if they are as bad as they seem to be. If I was to invest in a thudd gun I would be converting my own crew members to Cadian models to fit with the rest of my army, but this is not a major issue at all.

A set of Heavy Mortars
Because of normal mortars success in a city fight I see a full squad investment as being quite useful. The ability to put down heavy firepower will certainly make my MEQ opponents think twice before waiting my mortar showers out.

An Imperial Stormsword
As I understand this is the cityfight variant of a stormblade. If so what makes it better than a stormblade in a city fight? Again it is a one stop points sink. However this shouldn't be too bad... :-\

A Medusa Siege Gun/Earthshaker Cannon
Or do I get some very heavy artillery for my army? Again crew convertions will be needed. But will I get the points out of using these weapons with the rest of my army?

So there you have it. Which weapon system do you think I should get to improve my 1171st Conscript Battalion? I would like to here reasons with a bit more insight then 'cos is awesome'.

Genmotty
Genmotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Apr 2007, 22:56   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: The 1171st Reglanders New Equipment?

MORTAR COMBAT! ;D

All the glory of the Griffon Mortar, but with the chasis stripped away saving pts. Oh and you can get 3 per slot

I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Fish Ead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Apr 2007, 00:04   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

I said Thudd guns.

Few reasons:

1. Superheavies, as far as I can tell, are a cityfight no-no.

Reason's simple, from waht I've gathered the only street they could go down would be an "Avenue" or the like, limiting you to traveling up one street, probably in the middle of the board, which would make them easy to avoid and easy to nick. The stormsword is essentially useless, since it can only move a max of 36" in a game and has flamers and a 36" range gun, chances are you won't be firing it much. A baneblade would be better, but still, why limit yourself to one route that your opponent is garunteed to have planned for?

2. Medusa/Basilisk:

Basilisks are just booring, really, compared to some of those other options, and Medusa's have a very short range, limiting their usefulness.

3. Fluff:

I read somewhere that the Thudd gun is an aging weapon, often resigned to PDF forces. You have a conscript platoon, so it would make perfect sense that they'd give the older, less potent weapons to the cannon fodder. From what I've heard about their effectiveness, they are AMAZING. If you roll "hits", you have the ability to "walk" your pie plates towards your chosen enemy- and with a 1/3 hit chance, this makes the innacuracy almost a non-issue.
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Apr 2007, 00:38   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

You'd think someone with an IQ of 128 could spell 'Imperial' wouldn't you...

I'm in the heavy mortar camp. As Fish Ead said, three in a single slot is just far too good to pass up.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Apr 2007, 00:39   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

You know, just for the undeniable fact that a battery of heavy mortars, complete with crews and vehicles, is the coolest thing every manufactured. I mean above and beyond a Baneblade even.

But all on the list look awesome, I honestly am indifferent.

Stankov

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Ge. Stankov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Apr 2007, 00:56   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

You guys like Heavy Mortars that much? I personally like the Thudd gun much better. The heavy mortar is too... heavy? It looks kinda pudgy really.
Old 04 Apr 2007, 02:23   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Well, the heavy mortar has historic background. It looks like, well, a heavy mortar! Properly painted, a Heavy mortar & crew may as well just be a diorama for WWI German Artillary batteries.

A Thudd Gun, well, its just too goofy looking. No brute strength or real meat. Just a few tubes looking like a MLRS.

I prefer a mortar to anything, anyday.

Stankov

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Ge. Stankov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Apr 2007, 04:35   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Location: Kansas, United States, North America, Western Hemisphere, World, Milky way, universe
Send a message via AIM to valhallen_warrior Send a message via MSN to valhallen_warrior Send a message via Skype™ to valhallen_warrior

well one thing... how can you feild 4 conscript platoons with only 2 regular platoons? i thought you had to have one regular platoon in order to feild one conscript platoon...

anyway, i dont use forge world stuff. never have. I might at some point in the future but paying for a whole nother book so that i can feild the one or 2 units that i can actually feild and still have to have my freinds agree to it is just to much for me. mabey if the rules were in the regular dex for the appropriate army id use forge world but i realy cant afford all that.

Since ive never used forge world. I say baneblade. the fluff for that tank is cool, its featured in a gaunts ghost book, chaoticly corrupt as it may be, and it looks very scary when you stick a giant tank on the table. but thats just me.

"I have no delusions of divinity. We are men, not gods. Man is his own god, his own devil, his own death--we are created in our own image, yet imprisoned by the face we call our own. I will remake the world as I have remade my face." - The Black Mask
valhallen_warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Apr 2007, 10:21   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
You'd think someone with an IQ of 128 could spell 'Imperial' wouldn't you...
Oops...Yes you would wouldn't you. Recurring bad typo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultstadt Solvek 7th Rider
well one thing... how can you feild 4 conscript platoons with only 2 regular platoons? i thought you had to have one regular platoon in order to feild one conscript platoon...
Its a full break down of what I own, not an army list. My 1st Guard army was steel legion and so when the Cadians came out my old army became conscripts quite simply, thatís why I have more of them than standard platoons. I don't use my regular platoons as full platoons anyhow, generally field three and three as the regular platoons are where I stick my heavy weapons at the moment.

Anyhow it looks like most people are advising on a squad of Heavy Mortars.

However what is so bad about the Medusa's range? I thought it was 36"?

Genmotty.
Genmotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Apr 2007, 21:14   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

36", but its an artillery piece. It should be sitting in the back, not in the front lines.