Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Should i follow GW of forge World on armored companies
Old 29 Mar 2007, 02:23   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Should i follow GW of forge World on armored companies

A friend of mine is thinking of starting an armored company. I have imperial armor 1 and the armored company rules are solid. But theres some stuff about the GW ones that add more flavor to the armored company.

1st. They have doctrines, which is one of my favorite things about the guard. I really like the ability to personalize the army and some of the doctrines are realy cool.

2nd. Chimera scout vehicles are plain awsome.

Should i go with the forge world list of the games workshop list. Could i take bits from each or would that just be not cool and get me funny looks.
beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2007, 09:18   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Should i follow GW of forge World on armored companies

I suggest you go with whichever you want but don't combine bits from each.
I think armoured companies is from 3rd edition though? If this is the case you may not be able to run GW version in tournaments and such.
shaso_montyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2007, 10:20   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Use the Forgeworld one. It's just better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2007, 14:02   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

i never play anything but friendly games so im not terribly woried about tornement legality.
beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2007, 19:38   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

use the AC list from the GW website. its quite a good list in all honesty.

and then at least you know its the most uptodate AC list and its tourny legal i think
kipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2007, 21:32   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

The armoured company is more effective, but the armoured battlegroup is more diverse.

I want to take my pick of 'Ace Gunners', 'Side skirts' and 'Anti-Tank rounds', but I also want to field my Vulture. I can't have the best of both worlds so I just have to settle for mediocre ace crew skills. 'Slick loader' is all very good but it's still just a one-shot affair, whereas armoured company doctrines are good for the duration of the game!

You definitely pay more points for an armoured company (although it costs less in terms of cash), even if you forgo the most alluring doctrines. If you want lots of basic vehicles of all shapes and sizes then an armoured battlegroup is for you. But a smaller number of elite tanks is possible with an armoured company. It's easy to make either list obscenely expensive but the armoured battlegroup offers greater scope to go either way...it just can't match the armoured company for power-per-tank.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote