Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

How should I equip my command squads
Old 25 Mar 2007, 20:34   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default How should I equip my command squads

Well I am playing Mech Guard and I am curious as to how to best equip my command squads. I am sort of stuck between these three choices but if you have another option I will consider it. My 5 infantry squads have las/plas. My concept is the infantry fight the tanks and the tanks fight the infantry

1)Command Squad
1x JO
4x Plasma Guns

2) Command Squad
1x JO
3x Plasma Guns
1x Medic

3) Command Squad
1x JO
1x Lascannon
2x Plasma Guns
Go Guard Or Go Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Mar 2007, 20:54   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: How should I equip my command squads

I like option 2 personally, but I don't think it matters much. 4 plasmas will do lots of damage, but at the risk of your guys killing themselves, thats one of the reasons you will see a complete lack of plasma weapons in my guard. Thus on a fluffy stance I would go with taking the medic. As for the Lazcannon style is even legal? Dunno no codex with me at the moment, shows how long since I last wrote an army list for my IG. Yeah even if it isn't why waste the potentail of a Ld bonus by having a static commander whose just going to draw fire. Plus Lazcannon and Plasma have diffrent ranges so your wasting potentail with the plasma.

Genmotty
Genmotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Mar 2007, 20:59   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

I'm all for the second one myself. You've got the mobility to close the difference quickly and you'll want to make the most of your firepower the moment you pile out of the Chimera. Though they may draw fire quickly, I still think one medic is a good idea because they will kill themselves without one if the enemy doesn't get them first.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Mar 2007, 21:00   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The point of the las/plas is that they share a common theme which is AP 2 for dealing with 2+ models. In the first few turns the lascannons are going to be hunting the tanks. Since troops gets set up after heavies I should have LOS to them.

Also the guard do not have a ap 3 spec weapon and the melta gun conflicts with the 24" range of the lasgun and the grenade launcher is AP4.
The plas gun shoots 24" same as the lasgun and is AP 2 the same as the lascannon, the plasma gun is also str 7 which helps with destroying vehicles. If my guy fries himself oh well, thats the life of a plasma gunner but if he fries himself and kills a speeder, vehicle, terminator then he made his points back, or if he fries himself killing 2 marines he did his job.
Old 27 Mar 2007, 17:39   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

there is a 4th option that says dont take any plasguns. if you do definitely the medic is the one to use. buncha ccw/laspis are the way to trick out your comm squads without wasting points. maybe a flamer or two... but they just aren't worth the points. and they die way too easily. i think you should spend as little as possible on them and keep them out of harms way. cant go wrong with a buncha grenlunchers either. cheap, kind of rangey, kind of all-purpose. but still, cheap.
Guitardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Mar 2007, 19:50   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Location: Bremerton, Washington (United States) OR Prince George, British Columbia (Canada)
Send a message via MSN to ChadTheBad

I'd say the best one out of the three is number two. It has punch and the ability to manage overheating. Although, if this Command Squad is your HQ I'll suggest a different route. Storm Bolter wielding Officer, Commissar and Standard Bearer with three Grenade Launcher Guardsmen. Add Power Weapons / Fists, Frag Grenades and trademark item at your own digression.
Old 27 Mar 2007, 22:11   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I've gone with the "expendable" option.

I feel like the only two reasons that I have my HQ (other than it being compulsory) is A) A place to put 3-5 Support Squads that don't take up my Heavy Support tank spots and keeps my 5 squads of guardsmen mobile with GLs/Flamers ( I feel like templates are my best friend with BS3) and B) A leadership bubble with a Standard that follows my mobile mass of GLs and Flamers around with 3 GLs of their own. I do have one Plasma in my ranks, and it's with one of my full squads. I feel that this is better, for me at least, than having a pair of valuable guns within a command squad with five T3 units that overall can't absorb as many wounds and keep the plasma up longer. Also, when you've got two or three regular old guardsmen toting Plasma/Melta in the middile of a 50 man mobile force they blend in pretty well and some people might be too hasty or lazy to bother looking for the squad that contains them.

That's just me though.
Uggybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Mar 2007, 22:36   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to T pok Send a message via MSN to T pok

I would say go with #2 or you could always try this:

JO, storm bolter
4 grenade launchers.

This is very moblie and since their wepons are assault you can always fire at max range. This is good for your disembarkment.
brave kid, i don't know if i could do that. whichever girl gets you for life is the luckiest in the world.
T pok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Mar 2007, 00:21   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Problem is a JO squad with grenade launchers cannot handle all targets. The great thing about a JO squad is the ability to equip them with the ability to deal with anything in 40k. Grenade launchers don't kill 3+ armor and certainly have a worse time hurting 2+
Old 28 Mar 2007, 01:08   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veqq
I would say go with #2 or you could always try this:

JO, storm bolter
4 grenade launchers.

This is very moblie and since their wepons are assault you can always fire at max range. This is good for your disembarkment.
I think I may have to give this setup a go! I'm a huge fan of Assault weapons. Being able to move and fire every turn at 24" with a decent amount of your force is cool. Also, being the guard, this setup seems to be perfect for the BS3 mentality - the more shots the better... and if they're on the move, even better! To me it seems like 6 shots out to 24" after a move of 6" (giving you a 30" effective range) will fair better for the BS3 guard than some stationary plasma shots out to 24. Also, you've got the option of Frags with the launchers - those 4 frags could add up to a lot of chances to wound, or at least offset the 50/50 chance we have of hitting with them. It's also nice cause it gives you the ability to go up against numbers as well, and not fry yourself 8) When in doubt, I say that weight of fire is best.

I had originally gone with a good amount of Plasma but I picked up Autocannons (like the look of em, more my style ) instead, so when they're done hunting light armor and walkers they can lay into the infantry with 2 shots a turn.

I don't know if the OP runs a Demolisher, but for the price of one infantry plasma gun(over the cost of the heavy bolters) you could get a pair of plasma cannons and granted, the Demolisher's cannon is one of the best things about it, but the Plasmas have a 36" range and one can be fired after a 6" move if your main gun isn't in range. Blast template + plasma stats and no Gets Hot is pretty sweet for 10 more points if you really want plasma, in my opinion. And after the big gun inevitably gets sheared off at some point you can sit stationary and fire both the plasmas and a bolter >
Uggybug is offline   Reply With Quote