Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

What if???? Armored Crew Compartments
Old 20 Mar 2007, 05:41   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default What if???? Armored Crew Compartments

What if GW changed armored crew compartment not only made a open topped vehicle no longer opened top but also gave a +1 armor to all sides. How many people would take it?

As it stands right now at 20 pts it isn't worth adding to a Basi or Sentinel
Go Guard Or Go Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Mar 2007, 10:19   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via ICQ to LtCariad
Default Re: What if???? Armored Crew Compartments

Without hesitation, to make my precious improved comms sentinel withstand bolterfire
LtCariad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Mar 2007, 13:17   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

There's not really much to apply it to in the Codex IG list is there? Like you said, it probably wouldn't be worth adding to Sentinels, but I'd probably add it to a Basilisk; it's an expensive vehicle and 20 points is not a lot to increase its survivability. Suitably armed Deep Strikers will still obliterate it of course, no matter what armour it has, but it'd help protect against opportunity fire from autocannons and missile launchers.

I'd put improved comms onto Sentinels both because it's fluffy and they'll almost certainly get to put it to use before they snuff it. But such improved armour is wasted on something so feeble. We've all seen how fragile Rhinos are, and it doesn't matter whether it's got AV10 or AV11, a hit pretty much still means a kill. I'm kind of on the fence on this one, but overall, 15 points to make such a cheap vehicle slightly more durable is just not worth it in my opinion. Maybe it's just because I consider Sentinels nothing but expendable heavy weapons, but it seems like too much to protect them from small arms fire when they're still prime targets for heavy/special weapons.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Mar 2007, 15:56   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
There's not really much to apply it to in the Codex IG list is there? Like you said, it probably wouldn't be worth adding to Sentinels, but I'd probably add it to a Basilisk; it's an expensive vehicle and 20 points is not a lot to increase its survivability. Suitably armed Deep Strikers will still obliterate it of course, no matter what armour it has, but it'd help protect against opportunity fire from autocannons and missile launchers.

I'd put improved comms onto Sentinels both because it's fluffy and they'll almost certainly get to put it to use before they snuff it. But such improved armour is wasted on something so feeble. We've all seen how fragile Rhinos are, and it doesn't matter whether it's got AV10 or AV11, a hit pretty much still means a kill. I'm kind of on the fence on this one, but overall, 15 points to make such a cheap vehicle slightly more durable is just not worth it in my opinion. Maybe it's just because I consider Sentinels nothing but expendable heavy weapons, but it seems like too much to protect them from small arms fire when they're still prime targets for heavy/special weapons.
Well when you consider the price to a Tau Piranha it would come out to be about even except the Tau piranha is a) a skimmer b) move fast rule c) can improve BS with Target array and d) Immune to anything less then str 5 from the front.

So a Sentinel with ACC and a lascannon would come in at 70 pts the same as a base piranha with no upgrades
Old 20 Mar 2007, 16:13   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via ICQ to LtCariad

You have a point, Tom. I would rather use improved comms and just a simple autocannon or multi laser to keep the points down on the sentinel. I primarily use it in my Daemonhunter force, where it has proven very handy in helping reinforcements arrive in escalation missions, and even in moving in on objectives or last ditch shots late in games.

Bottom line: Keep it hidden instead of gearing it to take fire.

It might be interesting running a few in squadrons though...
LtCariad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Mar 2007, 18:23   #6 (permalink)
Xan
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Guard Or Go Home
So a Sentinel with ACC and a lascannon would come in at 70 pts the same as a base piranha with no upgrades
Piranha is 60 base but with FB and Decoy Launchers would be equal in cost to Sentinel with ACC and lascannon.
an exceedingly small amount of redeemable features
Xan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Mar 2007, 18:31   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Guard Or Go Home
Piranha is 60 base but with FB and Decoy Launchers would be equal in cost to Sentinel with ACC and lascannon.
Ah thanks
Old 20 Mar 2007, 20:28   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

yes but having the +1 on a basilisk is better

The way 2 Death is Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2007, 03:03   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Wouldn't that give it 13 front armor? you may want to change the rule a bit to up all armor worse than 11 to 11. Bassies having equivelant front armor to a predator is streaching things, seeing as to how the crew compartment is in the back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runer60000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead
I believe so, I get mine at Walgreen's for around $7. Brake Fluid works too (Pine Sol Works on metals, not so well on plastics), but I prefer the spraycanniness of the Easy Off. Spray it (Wear gloves, it's important), let it sit, and take a toothbrush to it later.
so what your saying is that oven cleaner can remove paint from plastic models? and after that, you take a toothbrush to your plastic model, and the paint just comes off?
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2007, 03:19   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

The problem with this change is not how it could be unbalancing (well armoured Basilisks) or the insane amount of points you'd pay - it's that it makes no fething sense whatsoever.

Look at the Basilisk, particularly the Armageddon-pattern one from Forge World. Sure, it's got better armour for the crew compartment, but somehow this increases the durability of it's Glasis plate, and the rest of the vehicles' flank as well? I think not.
AuinMyrrath is offline   Reply With Quote