Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Sentry Guns - Immobilized?
Old 20 Mar 2007, 01:36   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Sentry Guns - Immobilized?

Had the question come up during play the other day vs an Elysian Drop army.

When you roll immobilized, what happens? He said "nothing", I thought that, like drop pods, it'd be rounded up to destroyed, as the vehicle is already unable to move.

Also, how is the unit calculated for VP purposes?

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Mar 2007, 02:29   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Sentry Guns - Immobilized?

It becomes weapon destroyed since the sentry gun count as immobilized to begin with (FAQ somewhere). Not only that but if it survives the game you still get 50% VP for being immobilized just like SM drop pods. If destroyed you get 100% value
Go Guard Or Go Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Mar 2007, 02:33   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Aun’o Tash’var Shin’jin

If they already count as Immobile, then yes, weapon destroyed.

But If they don't count as Immobilised, then make a note that they are Immobilised, just like a real vehicle.

(It should state if they are Immobile in the appropriate 'Dex. so look at your mates)
Eidt by JD: I dunno how you managed to read it after the changes FT
Edit by AC: JD you've spelt edit incorrectly...
Edit by WG: I just wanted to be part of the moment. :P
Aun’o Tash’var Shin’jin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Mar 2007, 02:38   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Actually,

Turn to page 197 of Imperial Armor: Volume 1 (If thats the volume you have) for the entry on Tarantula Sentry Guns.

Go to "SPECIAL RULES" in that cool stencil type.

Then look to the bottom, under "Damage:"

I'll take the liberty of providing it here:

Quote:
Damage: As a remote vehicle a Tarantula is destroyed by any glancing or penetrating hit
So actually it doesnt matter what would happen since you never roll on the vehicle damage chart in the first place. If you rolling, you're just wasting time, since it would've had to ben hit first, and is therefore destroyed.
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Mar 2007, 02:40   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'O GeekyGator
Actually,

Turn to page 197 of Imperial Armor: Volume 1 (If thats the volume you have) for the entry on Tarantula Sentry Guns.

Go to "SPECIAL RULES" in that cool stencil type.

Then look to the bottom, under "Damage:"

I'll take the liberty of providing it here:

Quote:
Damage: As a remote vehicle a Tarantula is destroyed by any glancing or penetrating hit
So actually it doesnt matter what would happen since you never roll on the vehicle damage chart in the first place. If you rolling, you're just wasting time, since it would've had to ben hit first, and is therefore destroyed.
Ah you are right I missed that.
Go Guard Or Go Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Mar 2007, 02:55   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

It really stinks how tarantulas are so underpowered. With such a short effective range, the only good placing is behind a terrain piece that you know the enemy is going to be coming around. But, for 15 points, I suppose what can you expect?
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Mar 2007, 03:04   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
It really stinks how tarantulas are so underpowered. With such a short effective range, the only good placing is behind a terrain piece that you know the enemy is going to be coming around. But, for 15 points, I suppose what can you expect?
Well, it's like almost everything from FW is underpowered. It's really more like fluff tahn anything else.
Impulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Mar 2007, 03:08   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impulse
Quote:
Well, it's like almost everything from FW is underpowered. It's really more like fluff tahn anything else.
A BS4, slick-loading Vanquisher with AT Shells. Underpowered? Tell that the the hulk that was your Land Raider, and the remains of your Command Squad.

However, alot of Forge World's stuff is woefully on the low side... the Executioner isn't bad but isn't great, the Exterminator is efficient but doesn't have the 'boom' of a Battlecannon... and the Conquerer is at least 20 points overpriced, making it unusable.
AuinMyrrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Mar 2007, 03:11   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dra'Tuisich-Novae
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impulse
Quote:
A BS4, slick-loading Vanquisher with AT Shells. Underpowered? Tell that the the hulk that was your Land Raider, and the remains of your Command Squad.

However, alot of Forge World's stuff is woefully on the low side... the Executioner isn't bad but isn't great, the Exterminator is efficient but doesn't have the 'boom' of a Battlecannon... and the Conquerer is at least 20 points overpriced, making it unusable.
Well, I did say "almost". ;D

Anyway, while the Vanquisher + Slick loader is devestating to anything, you do have to pay a huge premium to use it. :-\
Impulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Mar 2007, 03:17   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Well, as for the effectiveness, he had TL lascannons as sentry guns, and with three of them in a single unit, it seemed pretty powerful.

Given that this is part of a tourney though, and he also is one of those folks with magic tape measures(yay for 8" movement), I think I'll be challenging this. It was a close enough game that getting half points for the three sentries, and having an XV-8 unit at half strength instead of dead due to the lascannon that otherwise would have been lost, and suddenly claiming another table quarter will probably swap me from losing to at least marginally ahead.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote