Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

why in gods name take a mortar?
Old 19 Mar 2007, 01:29   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default why in gods name take a mortar?

am I missing something here? Why would you ever take a mortar when you could take a missile launcher?

It is the calm and silent water that drowns a man.
Amaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2007, 01:41   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Chton
Default Re: why in gods name take a mortar?

Well...the mortar uses a nifty little template. And one does not need a roll to hit. Only to scatter. Also, one does not need a line of sight to fire it. And to top it all off, it pins and negates cover saves.

The difference between the mortar and the missile launcher is their areas of uses. Where missile launchers are long to middle range anti-tank weapons, the mortar is a middle to long range anti-infantry weapon.

Sure, the missile launcher can fire templates as well, it still needs line of sight, and a roll to hit. The mortar does not.

Never underestimate the mortar. Especially in cityfights. How fun is it not to harass troops all over the board, while sitting safely behind a terrain-piece with tea and cookies.
Chton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2007, 02:02   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Winter
Well...the mortar uses a nifty little template. And one does not need a roll to hit. Only to scatter. Also, one does not need a line of sight to fire it. And to top it all off, it pins and negates cover saves.

The difference between the mortar and the missile launcher is their areas of uses. Where missile launchers are long to middle range anti-tank weapons, the mortar is a middle to long range anti-infantry weapon.

Sure, the missile launcher can fire templates as well, it still needs line of sight, and a roll to hit. The mortar does not.

Never underestimate the mortar. Especially in cityfights. How fun is it not to harass troops all over the board, while sitting safely behind a terrain-piece with tea and cookies.
oy so it does pin. I must have missed that. I was wondering how the hell a mortar didn't pin.

It is the calm and silent water that drowns a man.
Amaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2007, 02:45   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Right, its not pinning because it says so in the profile, its pinning because in the main rulebook it says all barrage weapons are pinning.
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2007, 02:49   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The barrage ability is quite nice too compared to a single template
Go Guard Or Go Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2007, 02:57   #6 (permalink)
Aun
Shas'El

Psychological warfare my friend. Nothing puts the fear of god into you're opponent like a templet that can fire at them and they can't shoot back.
Old 19 Mar 2007, 09:05   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

no one expects morars in a guard army because the see the low strength and high ap. Mortars are the first heavy weapons I ever run.
shaso_montyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2007, 09:35   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

My mate used to have 6, it was brutal on un-concealed Guardians. He swapped them for autocannons however, which I think perform a lot better in the majority of situations (against me anyway).

If I were to take mortars I think it would be for fluff reasons, and/or because the models are cool, although the same goes for the Missile Launcher. I'm not sure if I'd take them over Autocannons or Heavy Bolters in a competitive force. I would take them over Missile Launchers though, as Guardsmen aren't renown for their Ballistic Skill - and that doesn't matter with Mortars.
Old 19 Mar 2007, 20:30   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

It's more a matter of fighting the right opponents. To be really effective, Mortars need to be fired against lightly armoured troops (so you can actually wound) with average or worse leadership (so that pinning - a mortars other upside can come into play). This makes them good against 3-4 armies. Eldar, Dark Eldar, other IG and perhaps Tau (depends what type the enemy is taking). They're even better against these forces since all these enemies have the firepower to mow down a heavy bolter support squad before it can fire. Not so with mortars, who can easily hide behind hills.

But against MEQ armies? No dice (or perhaps 'not enough dice&#39, you simply won't wound enough. Against 'nids and orks? Well, at least you'll kill a few, but they won't be failing any pinning tests in most cases. Heavy bolters are a better investment in both cases.

And that's my take on mortars
Droofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2007, 20:33   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

I've not had any experience using them myself, but being beaten up by them... yeah.

I got destroyed by a 6 mortar list. I play static Tau, and... when you can't shoot at an oncoming force, it gets pretty worrying. Whenever playing against IG now, I leave one Crisis suit in reserves, specially equipped with Anti-Infantry weapons to deep-strike out any Mortar squads.