Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Real Guardsmen take the Demolisher. The rest call the Armored Company
Old 18 Mar 2007, 21:21   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Real Guardsmen take the Demolisher. The rest call the Armored Company

Note: Don't be put off by the title, I am not making fun of anyone

Ok, I have been reading though some of the army lists posted on the board and I see over and over again that the tank of choice seems to be the standard Leman Russ and few people take Demolishers let alone more then one.

However as I read peoples lists and I read threads posted in this forum I see alot of people asking for help dealing with such and such or how to stop such and such and then when I look at the list I see that they aren't even taking the Guards biggest answer to everything The Demolisher Tank.

This tank is the answer to anything that is bothering you. Need to kill MEQ drop the demo cannon, need to get rid of a squad of oblits or termies hit him with demo cannon, that land raider threatening you why not hit it with a pie plate.

Some people criticize the range of the demolisher cannon of 24" being a reason it is inferior to the Leman Russ's range of 72". To this I ask you how often do you find yourself with a fire lane of 30" or more? And if you have that much open area how often is the enemy in that open terrain?

Now I don't know how you play or what sort of board you play on but in the game stores where I live and the tournaments I have been to the board size is 4x4, even the biggest board I have played on was only a 6x4 and then even on these boards with 25% of the board covered in terrain seldom did I have a large area of open ground where I can use the 72" range to my advantage. Someone would always put some tree or building or some wrecked vehicle in my way and I would end up wasting that extra long range.

This basic set up 4x4 or 6x4 with 25% terrain makes the Demolisher the king of the battlefield plus it has more side armor and rear armour then the standard Russ which increases its survivability and prevents those glancing strength 4 rear shots.

The Demolisher Cannon gives you an answer to every unit that can be fielded in 40k and when used to penetrate vehicles the 2d6 take the highest increases the chance of getting a penetrating hit which of course means you get to roll on the ordnance table for Mega Explosion 6 result.

Now I equip my Demolisher tanks with the 3x heavy bolter setup all for 165 points. This is only 10 points more then the standard russ and gives me a gun with +2 strength, +1 AP and +1 to my side and rear armor value. You can't get a better deal for 10 points anywhere else in the 40k universe.

And the #1 reason to take the Demolisher is because it is an infantry support tank which advances with the troops and your loyal guardsmen depend on it.

We are the Imperial Guard we have a pack on our back, a rifle in our hands and a tin coffin for our ride. I say let the armored company have the Leman Russ and give me the Demolisher every day.

What say you men?
Go Guard Or Go Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2007, 23:03   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Real Guardsmen take the Demolisher. The rest call the Armored Company

Definitely. The Demolisher is superior in almost every way, but that 24" range is more of an issue than you think. Maybe you play on tables with an over-abundance of terrain, but it is almost certain that you won't get to fire than big gun in the first turn, whereas a Battlecannon has use here, even if used against targets that you would not regard as ideal pie-plate fodder. The relegation to sponson and hull-mounted weaponry is not drastic, but a lot of people want to get the most out of their primary armament before it gets knocked out.

Typically, I find the best targets of opportunity around the 30" mark which is very frustrating. Once you get a couple turns into the game though, the Demolisher outshines the Leman Russ by far. However, that said, I do take far more Leman Russes than Demolishers in my armoured battlegroup for two reasons: A) It's fluffy. B) Leman Russes have access to a greater variety of special ammunition types.

Overall, I agree with you; the Demolisher is a better tank. But the Leman Russ is not completely without merit.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2007, 00:20   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Real Guardsmen take the Demolisher. The rest call the Armored Company

I'm going to field one, but because of constraints, it doesn't come in until higher pointage.
Tau Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2007, 03:05   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Well the range, and I just don't like the look of it.

That's right. To me if it doesn't have a long gun (not big... long) its just not a proper tank.

Now if I converted it to be count-as, I'd be cool. 8)
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2007, 05:44   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

In a competitive list do you guys think 3 Demolishers as my heavy support choices would cause the call of cheddar to go out? I just love these things and I can either take 3 sentinels with lascannons or another demolisher for 3 in the army. BTW I play mechanized not SIGAFH
Go Guard Or Go Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2007, 07:53   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'O GeekyGator

That's right. To me if it doesn't have a long gun (not big... long) its just not a proper tank.

Right there with you on that one. But I love the Death Korps of Krieg Demolisher turret, I'll probaly fork out for another one of those at some point. I don't need any more Leman Russ chassis, but you can't buy the turret seperately.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 19 Mar 2007, 09:02   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

I like running a demolisher with sponson plasmacannons and a hull mounted lascannon. I then laugh manically at my opponents multiple deep striking terminator squads of doom. ;D ;D > >
shaso_montyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2007, 10:05   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

I take one of each, best of both.

To be honest, I originally wanted a Demolisher, but they didn't have one so I bought the Russ instead, intending to get the conversion kit (which I never did).

My Demolisher has sponson Plasma Cannons and a hull-mounted heavy bolter (from what I remember). Never had the chance to use it in a game yet, and it's not been touched with a paintbrush - but it's my favorite anyway. I wanted to do a conversion using the front of this. I'm not sure if I could make it work, but it would be an extremely cool-looking and intimidating model! I have a city-fight force, and I can just imagine that thing advancing down a street, deflecting all incoming fire with it's massive Dozer-blade/portable fortress wall while my Stormtroopers brring up the rear...
But alas, it would break the bank. :P
Old 19 Mar 2007, 17:06   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'O GeekyGator

Right there with you on that one. But I love the Death Korps of Krieg Demolisher turret, I'll probaly fork out for another one of those at some point. I don't need any more Leman Russ chassis, but you can't buy the turret seperately.
*goes to look at the DKoK Demolisher Turret*

Oooh yea that one does look a bit better. At least its wide, since the other one just looks tiny. Shame that they only have the complete kits for the new DKoK tanks.

I'm loving that Grenadier with heavy stubber... but what the heck they have TL'd stubbers on some and singles on the grandiers... they should hurry up and release rules for those. I also am envying the Earthshaker Cannon... but $200 USD is... A bit steep...
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2007, 18:47   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heastaris, The Glimmering Blade
I wanted to do a conversion using the front of this. I'm not sure if I could make it work, but it would be an extremely cool-looking and intimidating model! I have a city-fight force, and I can just imagine that thing advancing down a street, deflecting all incoming fire with it's massive Dozer-blade/portable fortress wall while my Stormtroopers bring up the rear...
But alas, it would break the bank. :P
Sounds a lot like the Thunderer...albeit with a big dozer blade stuck on the front.