Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

One man heavy weapon teams
Old 18 Mar 2007, 06:33   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default One man heavy weapon teams

I recently converted my heavy weapons in my infantry squads from the two man diorama base to a single man. Considering I only use the missile launcher in my Infantry squads I have modeled my trooper to be carrying the missile launcher in an action pose either on his shoulder as though aiming or in the carry position as he moves with the squad.

One thing I have noticed about doing it this way is when getting hit with blast markers the diorama base almost always ensured at least 2 models were hit but putting the heavy weapon on a single model and using the 2" spacing I am reducing the number of models hit by template weapons.

Anyone else do this? and as far as I know it is legal
Go Guard Or Go Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2007, 06:41   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to T pok Send a message via MSN to T pok
Default Re: One man heavy weapon teams

Well, I have 1 man attached to the 60mm base and an area on the 60mm where a guy on a 25mm will fit. This alows me to have 1 model per Heavy wepon and just use the same loaders when ever I change my list.

However, I've never done what you say. The old heavy wepons came like that though. 2 men both on their own 25mm bases.
brave kid, i don't know if i could do that. whichever girl gets you for life is the luckiest in the world.
T pok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2007, 06:42   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

I think the rule is that the loader needs to be within 1" of the gunner at all times for the gun to be effective (guns don't fire without ammo).

It's be interesting to see though.

Got pics?
Tau Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2007, 06:46   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Immortal Black Mage
I think the rule is that the loader needs to be within 1" of the gunner at all times for the gun to be effective (guns don't fire without ammo).

Got pics?
I will work on the pics but I don't see any mention of the 1" rule in the IG codex. It only says 2 guardsmen may form a heavy weapons crew armed with x weapon. Doesn't say anything about spacing or base size, which was why I did the change as I couldn't find anything in the dex that prevents it and it was more tacticly sound. I can place a single guardsman base in terrain or a spot easier then the two man diorama base, also means that it makes my opponent mover further to charge me or shoot me as the base is smaller.
Old 18 Mar 2007, 10:10   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:

Got pics?
Hmmm...I don't know about that one, Mage. I think you're going to have to back that up with quote from the Codex (or wherever you read it). I get the distinct impression that's just one of those things you may have heard from your friends and taken as gospel. :-\
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2007, 17:01   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Chton

I would think that using separate base is legal in game-terms. I have always used them that way, both heavy bolters and missile launchers.
I have a couple of pics of them.

Chton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2007, 18:02   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

According to the special rules for the Last Chancers in the Chapter Approved 2001 book, "Fingers" (Rocket Girl's loader) must attempt to stay within 2" of her at all times.

I would take that to be a good rule of thumb
Old 18 Mar 2007, 18:10   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
According to the special rules for the Last Chancers in the Chapter Approved 2001 book, "Fingers" (Rocket Girl's loader) must attempt to stay within 2" of her at all times.

I would take that to be a good rule of thumb
But the key thing there is that rule was for 3rd edition and in a book printed in 2001. Last chancers in the new dex don't even have names anymore and are treated as just guardsmen that may take x, y, z in equipment. No mention of any spacing requirement, basing requirement etc
Old 18 Mar 2007, 18:14   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

So? How many rules from back then still make sense?

Lots of them. And besides, logic says if the gunner wants to fire, his loader will be nearby.
Old 18 Mar 2007, 18:43   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
So? How many rules from back then still make sense?

Lots of them. And besides, logic says if the gunner wants to fire, his loader will be nearby.
Oh, dear...that's weak, bud.

Maybe as a house rule if you felt it important, but otherwise basing heavy weapon team members seperately is perfectly legal. What happens when the loader snuffs it, Mage? Can the heavy weapon no longer fire?
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote