Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

21st Cadian Light Horse - Your opinions and help with WYSIWYG question
Old 16 Mar 2007, 07:00   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default 21st Cadian Light Horse - Your opinions and help with WYSIWYG question

Hey guys, I am retooling my guard army to go ALL mechanized competitive and would like to A) give you my army list so that you can give me your thoughts and B) Get your opinion on the WYSIWYG rules. So thanks in advance, be honest and hopefully I can get started on this list

21st Cadian Light Horse (I like the Australian Light Horse Regiments)

1x Command Platoon (4 IG + J.O. + Iron Discipline)
-J.O. (Las Pistol, CCW)
-Plasma Guns (x4)
-Chimera (Multi-Laser/Heavy Bolter)

Troops
Infantry Platoon #1
1x Command Squad (4 IG + JO + Iron Discipline)
-J.O. (Las Pistol, CCW)
-Plasma Guns (x4)

4x Infantry Squads
-Missile Launcher (x4)
-Plasma Gun (x4)

Troop #2
1x Armored Fist Squad
-Missile Launcher (x1)
-Plasma Gun (x1)
-Chimera (Multi-Laster/Heavy Bolter)

Fast Attack (3 Squads of 1 Sentinel)
3x Sentinels (Lascannon, Extra Armor)

Heavy Support
2x Leman Russ Demolisher Tanks
-Heavy Bolter (x3)

Total Points: 1700
Scoring Units: 10
Vehicles: 12

Thoughts: I like the idea of the Sentinels doing my primary anti-tank hunting and by putting them in squads of 1 I stretch out my opponents fire. Also with the 48" range I can keep them along the back edge of my board sniping at AV 12-14 armor. The Demolishers I intend to use as anti-infantry/transport destroyers and anti-tank second if I come up nutz on the lascannon sentinels. My chimeras and infantry will be anti-infantry killers.

I didn't use vox's since I don't need to test leadership until dismounted and with 2 Officers with LD 8 and Iron Discipline giving a 12" bubble I figure I have LD covered. Even though it is only LD 8.

I have the 2x Command Squads with 4x Plasma Guns which aren't scoring units to deal with 2+ terminators/monstrous creatures. I also have plasma/missile in each squad simple because I believe every squad should have a 2+ answer in competitive play.

You might be wondering WTF did I put extra armor on the sentinels for but the reason being is I am using Cadian Sentinels that have the extra armor piece applied to them and I am concerned about the WYSIWYG rules in tournaments.

So my questions to you, my fellow Imperial Guard Generals are. In Tournaments do you...

A) Can I field a Cadian Sentinel model the way it comes in the box with the Extra Armor modeled on it as I prefer that look to the Catachan one but not buy the extra armor vehicle upgrade and still be fine for WYSIWYG and tournament rules?

B) Assuming I can field the Cadian varient sentinel without paying for the extra armor what should I spend the 15 points on?

C) What do you think of the army list?

D) Should I keep the Demolishers or drop them to Leman Russ MBT? What to do with the 20 free points then?

Go Guard Or Go Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Mar 2007, 19:51   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: 21st Cadian Light Horse - Your opinions and help with WYSIWYG question

1) I would say yes you could field them without the armour upgrade, although if you were going the other way, then I'd say it was a no-go. Although if your still feeling guilty, just make it clear to the campaign organisers/your opponents that they don't have the upgrade. Just about every WYSIWYG question can be solved by a few little statements before battle .
2) I'd go with power weapons on your lieutenants
3) 10 vehicles, not a bad mech army list
4) I'd go with the demolishers for the added fire power of that increased strength and AP. Plus their pretty mobile as well, if you want them to be .
FTyross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Mar 2007, 06:14   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: 21st Cadian Light Horse - Your opinions and help with WYSIWYG question

Ok, if it were me I'd swap out at least one of those Plasma gunners for a medic in each of the Command Squads because they're undoubtedly going to explode the moment they touch the trigger. You're going to need to sacrifice something to do this though, but you only need 2 points and I think it'd be of great benefit.

You've got plasma everywhere I see and multi-lasers which is enough to handle enemy transports without using the ubiquitous Autocannon, but your AT firepower is a little lacking. Sentinels with Lascannons may seem like an effective AT measure, but you can't just count the number of Lascannons to determine the degree of protection. Sentinels are extremely fragile, and armed as they are, they'll be targeted first by any opponent with any heavily armoured tanks. Heavy weapons last longer buried in a squad where a single shot is rarely enough to wipe out or break the unit. You may want to consider downgrading the Sentinels to Autocannons and stripping them of their extra armour (I wouldn't worry too much about WYSIWYG and it's more or less redundant because a hit generally translates to a kill against an open topped AV10 vehicle). This will give you enough to upgrade three infantry Missile Launchers to Lascannons. Also, you wouldn't go far wrong swapping out the odd Plasma gun for a Meltagun here and there.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Mar 2007, 12:00   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to 33rd Sirican Redbacks

The light horse rock!!! my family bred alot of the horses used (and the queen and govt never paid us back), and my family also rode in the light horse
Old 19 Mar 2007, 06:12   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Do you think it would be worth it to drop the sentinels for a 3rd demolisher?

Also for the HQ squads. I want to use them as a counter assault unit not a counter attack unit.

Basically if something gets close that can do a lot of damage in hand to hand they roll out and rapid fire 8 plasma guns into the squad...however these could overheat and kill them so I am wondering if meltaguns would be better.

What do you think
Old 20 Mar 2007, 03:15   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Thanks for the suggestion guys. I am determined to drop the 3 Sentinels as someone pointed out that everything else in the army has front armor 12 and if I put the sentinels in I am giving 3 models that my opponents otherwise useless weapons can shoot at. Now the list looks like this;

I have modified the list based on some of the suggestions mentioned above

1) Please compare it to the others and offer your thoughts

21st Cadian Mechanized Bridge (21st Light Horse)
1x Command Platoon (4 IG + J.O. + Iron Discipline)
-J.O. (Las Pistol, CCW)
-Plasma Guns (x4)

Troops
Infantry Platoon #1
1x Command Squad (4 IG + JO + Iron Discipline)
-J.O. (Las Pistol, CCW)
-Plasma Guns (x4)

4x Infantry Squads
-Lascannon (x4)
-Plasma Gun (x4)

Troop #2
1x Armored Fist Squad
-Lascannon (x1)
-Plasma Gun (x1)
-Chimera (Multi-Laster/Heavy Bolter)

Heavy Support OR
2x Leman Russ Tanks 2x Leman Russ Demolishers
-Heavy Bolter (x3) -Heavy Bolter (x3)

1x Basilisk Tank 1x Basilisk Tank
-Indirect Fire -Indirect Fire
-Armored Crew Compartment

Total Points: 1695 Total: 1695
Scoring Units: 8 Scoring Units: 8
Vehicles: 10 Tanks: 10

2) What to spend 5pts on? Where to spend 5pts?

3) I am pretty sure I am going with one of the two lists....but which is tournament level? I used the ACC because I have the model from Forge World and for WYSIWYG

4) Your thoughts
Old 20 Mar 2007, 17:45   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

I'd spend some points on frag grenades for your command squad and a power weapon on each JO. I'd personally go with the Demolisher one since it's more anti-tank then the standard LR. Overall nice list however
FTyross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Mar 2007, 18:00   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer Tyross
I'd spend some points on frag grenades for your command squad and a power weapon on each JO. I'd personally go with the Demolisher one since it's more anti-tank then the standard LR. Overall nice list however
So it's Demolishers or Leman Russes then? I say go with the Demolishers. Not because of the higher strength gun (your infantry squads have got tank hunting covered) but because of their improved armour. The decreased range may mean they won't get to fire their primary ordnance in the first turn though so perhaps you could spend 3 points on smoke launchers for one of them (unless enemy Heavy Bolter fodder is readily available)? The remaining 2 could be used to swap a couple plasma gunners for medics. If you go with the Russes I suggest you might consider spending the remaining 25 points on extra armour for your infantry Chimeras
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Mar 2007, 20:42   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

I like the buried Lascannons a lot better than the Sentinels. From the perspective of facing this kind of list, scattered Lascannons fielded by troops in cover are usually more of a threat to vehicles than a single light vehicle.

I like the Basilisk against Tau (or Shooty Guard or Marines) for psychological reasons. It is a great weapon in its own right, but it also forces a shooty army to react to it by moving. Even if they try to ignore it, it is a powerful distraction.

Is it possible to just go 1-and-1 with the Russes? I am not terribly familiar with the differences in how they are used, but the regular Russ seems to be a better idea against Kult of Speed and Tau, whereas the Demolisher might be better against Marines.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Mar 2007, 02:40   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I'm going to suggest an alternate way to field your mechanized guard for you to consider, GoGuard, which I think is both very effective and fun as heck. ;D

Basically, instead of using the troops as heavy weapons platforms, and using empty transports as gun-boats, this list actually carries the infantry forward, and unleashes a deadly rapid-fire volley at short range. It's essentially a fire-fighting force, and focuses on the guard units that do that best. The triple Demolishers provide awsome firepower, and their short-range will encourage you to advance them along with the chimeras (You MUST keep this army close together for it to work) but that is not their primary function. Their main job is to scare the crap out of your opponant, drawing fire away from your transports, allowing them to survive and deliver their short-ranged death.

21st Cadian Mechanized Bridge (21st Light Horse) (1700 Points)
Models: 55 Vehicles: 9
Doctrines: Grenadiers, Veterans, Close Order Drill, Mechanized.

Command Squad (165 Points):
Junior Officer and 4 Guardsmen with Meltaguns (80 Points)
Chimera Transport with Multilaser and Heavy Bolter. (85 Points)

Hardened Veterans Squad (215 Points):
10 Hardened Veterans, 3 with Plasma Gun, and Veteran Sergeant with Plasma Pistol. (125 Points)

10 Hardened Veterans, 3 with Plasma Gun, and Veteran Sergeant with Plasma Pistol. (125 Points)

Grenadier Squad (210 Points):
10 Grenadiers, 2 with Meltaguns. (120 Points)

Grenadier Squad (210 Points):
10 Grenadiers, 2 with Meltaguns. (120 Points)
Chimera Transport with Multilaser, Heavy Bolter, and Extra Armor. (90 Points)

Demolisher Siege Tank:
1 Demolisher with Hull Mounted Heavy Bolter, and Heavy Bolter Sponsons. (165 Points)

Demolisher Siege Tank:
1 Demolisher with Hull Mounted Heavy Bolter, and Heavy Bolter Sponsons. (165 Points)

Demolisher Siege Tank:

Let me know what you think. ;D
Man, that's the joy of Anime! To revel in the complete and utter wastefullness of making an unstoppable nuclear-powered combat andriod in the shape of a cute little girl, who has the ability to fall in love and wears an enormous bow in her hair.

Don't tell me that you fell for the MTV lie?
The MTV lie is that people who rebel against tradition are thnking for themselves, while those who follow tradition are just sheep who do not think.
It is, of course, completely untrue. The decision to follow tradition is just as much an exercize of free will as is the decision to depart from it.
Doctor Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote