Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Having a Brian Fart regarding Reserves
Old 14 Mar 2007, 17:13   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Having a Brian Fart regarding Reserves

I am having a total brain fart regarding reserves (I probably know 99% of the rules) but for some reason this one is escaping me.

Can I choose to start my entire army in reserve in games? I know the ojbectives say reserves are deployed along your board edge etc...but I can't remember 100% of that means I can put my whole Guard army in reserves.

Reason I am asking is I am thinking of mechanizing my Guard, and with improved comms etc I can get a most of it on by turn 2-3.

Secondly with having nothing on the board for the first turn. I can choose to go 2nd, thereby wasting my opponents first and second turn of shooting since he would have nothing to shoot. So effectively I would have shut down his army for 2 turns and then bring my army on between turn 2-4 and theoretically be able to bring whatever comes on the board to bear.

Thirdly when I bring them on I coudl effectively place them in a position that neutralizes my enemies anti-tank fire lanes which would shut them down in the next turn as they try to redeploy yet I would be able to concentrate my forces where I wanted to.

I thought it sounded sound last night when I thought of it but wasn't sure if it was legit
Go Guard Or Go Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Mar 2007, 17:49   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: Having a Brian Fart regarding Reserves

The only way you can start your entire army in reserve is to use Drop Troops, and play a mission that allows the use of Deep Strike. If all your units have Deep Strike, they can all start off-board.

That's the only way I can think of doing it. The only legal way at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Mar 2007, 17:54   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
The only way you can start your entire army in reserve is to use Drop Troops, and play a mission that allows the use of Deep Strike. If all your units have Deep Strike, they can all start off-board.

That's the only way I can think of doing it. The only legal way at least.
Yeah drop troops would work. I was just reading my rule book and escalation says anything with a dedicated transport starts in reserves (Omega Level Games).

Can I voluntarily use Escalation? even if my opponent doesn't (ie. I dont' force him to follow the escalation rules but hold myself to them) Most tournaments I go to are Gamma which uses everything but Escalation pretty much but I would love the opportunity to use it. Do I need my opponents permission? Most games people allow Deepstrike/infiltration anyways.

I know most people don't like escalation because of the piecemeail it arrives and they rather have everything on the board but if you build an army to take advantage of this like mech guard can I use it?

Old 14 Mar 2007, 19:49   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

You cannot just take Escalation for yourself; either both sides have it, or neither do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Mar 2007, 20:13   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
You cannot just take Escalation for yourself; either both sides have it, or neither do.
So basically play only Omega level games
Old 15 Mar 2007, 02:38   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Even if you do choose to put your Chimera mechanized squads with Reserves, I still really wouldn't recommend it. Each turn, a couple of Chimera squads would pop up, and with their light armor the enemy would pop them at will. I would think it would be a massacre unless you had tons of cover available.
Colonel_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Mar 2007, 04:24   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel_Sanders
Even if you do choose to put your Chimera mechanized squads with Reserves, I still really wouldn't recommend it. Each turn, a couple of Chimera squads would pop up, and with their light armor the enemy would pop them at will. I would think it would be a massacre unless you had tons of cover available.
I don't know if it would be a massacre. In a 2000 point mechanized force I have about 16 vehicles. On turn 2 I have a 50% chance of each one showing up with a reroll with improv comms so on average I should get 8 tanks and about 40-60 guardsment on turn 2. Which i can bring on anywhere along my table edge and knowing where my opponents forces are at the end of his turn I can place them where he can only bring minimal fire to bear and maximize my fire on a focussed spot.

Not only that but it would be my opponents turn 3 before he can really shoot anything so the game is half over and now he has to redeploy most of his forces to counter the large armor push which means most heavy weapons can't shoot and because vehicles block LOS even as wrecks he won't be able to pop more then a couple tanks at most. Not to mention the wall of AV 12 and 14 front armor which makes them immune to anything under str 6.

So by his turn 3 the game is half over and now he has to redeploy a large portion of his armor plus despite going first I got the first turn of shooting and probably inflicting casualties with the amount of fire power 8 tanks can bring to a field.

By the end of turn 6 I would have had 5 turns of shooting, my opponent would have 4, so i am ahead in the long run i think