Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tank Shock V.S Assualt *thoughts*
Old 11 Mar 2007, 19:31   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Tank Shock V.S Assualt *thoughts*

So i just thought about the idea of tank shocking assualting enemy troops with your LMRBT or hellhound or whatever instead of having a squad assualt ...

Ignore the fact that we have a good chance of decimating their squad ....

I havent given this idea much thought but i want to hear what you guys have to say about this.

An example below (tank position may vary)

-----------------------Enemy--------------------------

-----Guardsmen---------Guardsmen--------Tank-------

----Enemy----
----Tank----

---Guardsmen-- ---Guardsmen---
Old 11 Mar 2007, 20:10   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Tank Shock V.S Assualt *thoughts*

It depends entirely on the unit you plan to tank shock; for instance, tank shocking an Ogryn squad that's under half strength and lacking a Bone 'ead would be ideal because you can send them packing without applying heavy firepower or sending troops to their death in close combat. There is of course a serious risk to the vehicle if they stand their ground though, because they'll circle round behind you and start pulling out the engine.

Tank shocking a Space Marine Terminator Chaplain and command squad is suiside though; they'll almost certainly turn your precious tank inside out without batting an eyelid.

There are pros and cons to tank shock...but mostly cons.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Mar 2007, 21:37   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

tank shock is very confusing to me. it seems like half the rules were left out or something... really bad system... can you tank shock a squad OUT of CC, or do you have to sit and wait patiently till they are done? can you ever actually hurt anything? where are the ramming rules they used to have... (meagre little RHINO rammed with a str7 back in the day... wheres that stuff?) are we just playing bumper cars? funny that you can ram a big electrified fist thru a bulkheady front armor of a tank, but a leman bulldozer cant shove aside a bike half the time.
Guitardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Mar 2007, 22:26   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centurion
tank shock is very confusing to me. it seems like half the rules were left out or something... really bad system... can you tank shock a squad OUT of CC, or do you have to sit and wait patiently till they are done? can you ever actually hurt anything? where are the ramming rules they used to have... (meagre little RHINO rammed with a str7 back in the day... wheres that stuff?) are we just playing bumper cars? funny that you can ram a big electrified fist thru a bulkheady front armor of a tank, but a leman bulldozer cant shove aside a bike half the time.
Mmm...I get what you're saying, but troops won't just stand there and brace themselves when a 62 tonne armoured monster comes trundling towards them; if at all possible they're gonna get the hell out of the way. Super-Heavies can still track over troops (and other tanks for that matter), but I guess they're so huge it's hard to leap aside or scramble clear in time.

The rules aren't as clear as they could be in regards to tank shocking troops engaged in close combat; it says you can't move over friendly models, but you could still plough into enemy troops on the edge of the combat if playing Rules-As-Written. I'd say this is not allowed in accordance with the spirit of the rules though, because close combat is supposed to be a desperate swirling melee with combatants flinging one another all over the place. Only a particularly sadistic Commissar would order his driver to bludgeon his way into such a maelstrom in the hope of crushing enemy troops.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote