Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Berrets
Old 11 Mar 2007, 04:23   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Berrets

Hey guys, i was wondering if any of you guys had some advice on how to model some greenstuff berrets onto my guard (Catachan)

Turning and Turning in the widening gyre, the falcon cannot hear the falconer; Things fall apart; The centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world.
W.B. Yeates
The Second Coming

Thanks to Drobot for the sig
Inquisitor Walsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Mar 2007, 05:33   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Berrets

Time and a lot of patience. Remember to use water so the GS doesn't stick.

"You say pyromaniac like that's a bad thing."~Flamer Trooper Brostin Tanith 1st, Gereon.

Duty is heavier than a mountain, death is lighter than a feather.
TheEagle82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Mar 2007, 07:07   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I meant how to actually model the things

Turning and Turning in the widening gyre, the falcon cannot hear the falconer; Things fall apart; The centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world.
W.B. Yeates
The Second Coming

Thanks to Drobot for the sig
Inquisitor Walsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Mar 2007, 07:15   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Nuke

Well.. I would start out with a small ball, flattening it out to look somewhat like a pancake hat. I would then add small amounts of GS in as filler, to give the beret a 3d look (instead of just looking like... well... a pancake hat). To finish it off, I would stick a tiny dot of GS on the top of the beret, just to make it look all proper. Then again, catachans are anything but proper, so that type of detail is really up to you.

"He who opens a school door, closes a prison." -Victor Hugo
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Mar 2007, 14:09   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

You might consider chopping off the tops of your Guardsmen's heads so the berets don't look quite so bulbous.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Mar 2007, 14:46   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Get a ball, flatten it. Leave it to dry. Put a tiny ball on top, roughly in the middle. Cut the Catacan heads off at an angel or straight across depending upon what your looking for. Glue the Berrets on as you would any other accessary. That way, you could create roughly equally sized berrets without too much trouble, and leave some to try whilst your working on others.
FTyross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Mar 2007, 15:17   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke
...To finish it off, I would stick a tiny dot of GS on the top of the beret, just to make it look all proper...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer Tyross
Get a ball, flatten it. Leave it to dry. Put a tiny ball on top, roughly in the middle...
What's this business about putting tiny spots of greenstuff in the middle? Do US berets have that little bit? I can't help but think it'll make your guardsmen look like Frenchmen. Perhaps you should give them strings of garlic in place of ammunition bandoliers, and swap out their Lasguns for sticks of bread too?
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Mar 2007, 01:36   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Did this once on some test models, didnt like the paint scheme but the berets looked cool. I was using catchans so head chopping for other models may be required existing hat dependant.

The trick was making wedges not flat hats (press down on the ball at 45* so one side is fatter), these were then simply pressed onto the heads and because of this they then took the look of being worn rather than stuck on really nicely, remember to make them smaller than looks right to begin as when you stick them on they then fill out to the perfect size. To finish pinch the thick side slightly at the front for the little badge bit if you want to do that.

looks like this kinda beret
smoking kills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Mar 2007, 14:14   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

The old stormtrooper models had berets, but i haven't found them anywhere other than on ebay. You can ask some IG veterans in your GW and see if they've got some they'd want to sell.

Elessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Mar 2007, 16:19   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Ebay has them if you watch diligently.
"Men are basically smart or dumb and lazy or ambitious. The dumb and ambitious ones are dangerous and I get rid of them. The dumb and lazy ones I give mundane duties. The smart ambitious ones I put on my staff. The smart and lazy ones I make my commanders.
Rogal Dorn 1 is offline   Reply With Quote