Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Heavy Weapon Platoons
Old 10 Mar 2007, 19:20   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Heavy Weapon Platoons

How many people use Heavy Weapon Platoons? Looking through the Guard Codex, they don't seem that effective. You can get more heavy weapons squads from a command platon than a Heavy weapon platoon, which seems silly to me. It also makes no sense that a Platoon can have a command squad and then only one other squad. Why aren't heavy squads 2-4 in heavy weapon platoons? They seem like a better way to get extra command squads than to get more heavy weapons. On that note, why can't command Squads, or at least heavy weapon platoon command squads, take two heavy weps? They can take four specials after all.
ragnarokalok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2007, 20:11   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Heavy Weapon Platoons

A single Command Platoon is restricted to a maximum of two units of each type of support squad. What if you want a third or a fourth AT support squad? You can't take an additional command squad, so that only leaves Heavy Weapons platoons.

Also note that a heavy weapons platoon may consist of up to three support squads in addition to the mandatory command squad, not just one.

Sorry, but this is another one of those dumb questions. Read your codex.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2007, 21:45   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Mrgame

I rarely take heavy weapon platoons. Not enough bodies to soak up the casualties.
All a heavy weapon platoon is really is a command platoon only with out some of the command platoon options. This is just a way to bring more weapons to the field with out buying a platoon or two.
As to the why not two heavy weapons thing, why would you? you would be wasteing the bodies in the squad, not enough to stop the casualties, you would use the weapon and most of the time some times you wil lbe assaulting so now you cant use flamers or ccws and laspistols.
Mrgame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2007, 23:07   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
Also note that a heavy weapons platoon may consist of up to three support squads in addition to the mandatory command squad, not just one.

I know that you can have more than one support squad, and I have read the codex. It just seems silly that its possible to get a platoon with only two squads in it, especially considering one of them is a command squad.
ragnarokalok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Mar 2007, 09:49   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarokalok
I know that you can have more than one support squad, and I have read the codex. It just seems silly that its possible to get a platoon with only two squads in it, especially considering one of them is a command squad.
Er...alright. It's a strange complaint to have, but I suppose for what it's worth I guess I agree with you; a single support squad with a dedicated command squad is a little peculiar. I suppose it's just up to the player to make fluffy army list selections.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 11 Mar 2007, 15:58   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
Tom,

That's not a very friendly take on answering a simple question. It's not very respectful either. Consider this a friendly warning.

That goes for everyone as well--be excellent to each other. There's no reason to be disrespectful for any reason on a message board.

Cheers,
Old 11 Mar 2007, 17:20   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

You're right, Mal. My apologies, Ragnarokalok, it wasn't really a dumb question...hell, it wasn't really a question at all; more of an observation, and your conclusions are right - Heavy Weapons Platoons are in many ways nothing but Command Squads with attached support squads.