Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

tanks as terrain
Old 10 Mar 2007, 10:57   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default tanks as terrain

has anybody actually been cruel enough to use your chimera tanks as a wall of blocked l.o.s. and stockpiled big gun totin infantry out of the back hatches of chimera who can move out of the way the next turn, leaving a squad in shooty position.

(block the firelane during your drop off turn, move that tank next turn to allow heavyweapons guys to have a go at it.)

while guarding the chim front with a wall of 3 lemans with their front armor save. this seems kind of foolproof and extremely dirty. so i want to use it in my game next week. cuz im a jerk like that and my opponent knows it and pulls cruel list/rules-milking stuff on me too.

protect the dudes with the chims and the chims with the lemans

3 lemans... side by side, no gaps to move between

ccw com squad + chim
armorfist squad + chim
j.o. com squad + chim
+ couple of platoon squads with missiles or lascans (points allowing)

fill in points with hvy bolter attachment and whatever extra meat i can squeeze in.

im not sure if this is just stupid or if it is really abusive.
Guitardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2007, 13:41   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: tanks as terrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centurion
has anybody actually been cruel enough to use your chimera tanks as a wall of blocked l.o.s. and stockpiled big gun totin infantry out of the back hatches of chimera who can move out of the way the next turn, leaving a squad in shooty position.

(block the firelane during your drop off turn, move that tank next turn to allow heavyweapons guys to have a go at it.)

while guarding the chim front with a wall of 3 lemans with their front armor save. this seems kind of foolproof and extremely dirty. so i want to use it in my game next week. cuz im a jerk like that and my opponent knows it and pulls cruel list/rules-milking stuff on me too.

protect the dudes with the chims and the chims with the lemans

3 lemans... side by side, no gaps to move between

ccw com squad + chim
armorfist squad + chim
j.o. com squad + chim
+ couple of platoon squads with missiles or lascans (points allowing)

fill in points with hvy bolter attachment and whatever extra meat i can squeeze in.

im not sure if this is just stupid or if it is really abusive.
Dude, what are you talking about? This is what you're supposed to do with vehicles! They're big, heavy and metal; they protect the infantry advancing behind them. This is not cheesy, it's just not a technique normally used in such a concentrated fashion. People will often use a couple chimeras in this manner, but not often Russes. Blocking line of sight is one of the principle uses of vehicles. If you haven't been doing it up 'til now, you've not been using them right.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Mar 2007, 22:44   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

you are right tom. of course i have used the cover tactic before... but never as a consolidated plan. imagine this setup...

L L L

C C C
(hv weap or mgun x3 in chims)

and move it as a cohesive unit, with one or another leman straying a little wide here or there depending on terrain, just to keep them shooting at nuthin but the front armor, and then bail all the tanks to give the inf a fire lane on the next turn... figure the lemans as 3 hvy bolt types so they mow the infantry as they move up to the spot where i can plant them, then let our infantry hit their armor next turn as the second punch when the tanks skirt right and left to give them some fire lanes.

im gonna try it... denying myself any possibility of capturing board quarters, but the goal is to stay almost as indestructible as i can... and whacking all the most vital big stuff i can hit.

i think counter assaunlt from them will be the biggest worry... maybe i stick in a couple footslogger squads following behind to countercharge should they try to encircle my 6 behemoths...

i dunno... just theorizin here... game wont happen till next friday...
Guitardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Mar 2007, 23:12   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centurion
i think counter assaunlt from them will be the biggest worry... maybe i stick in a couple footslogger squads following behind to countercharge should they try to encircle my 6 behemoths...
I'm not so sure about that; I think your biggest threat with this technique will be in the form of pie plate chuckers. When the Basilisks start slinging metal, they won't miss.

Also, grouping all your armoured units together like this will make it very easy for the enemy AT weapons to deploy in such a fashion as to concentrate fire and knock out your tanks one by one, rather than being forced to take shots of opportunity at more dispersed vehicles.

There's also the other major problem you already mentioned; such a concentrated group will be easy to flank. You'll need 'wingers' of a sort to ward off flankers I guess - Vehicles can't afford to be outmanoeuvred.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Mar 2007, 19:38   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Tralfagar Send a message via MSN to Tralfagar Send a message via Yahoo to Tralfagar

I'm no expert on the Guard, but wouldn't it make more sense to have "gaps" between the vehicles where you could fire from? A bit like the Arrow Slits in Medieval Castles?

V=Vehicle
G=Guardsmen
/,|,\=LoS

either

\V| V| V
G G

or

V\ V\ V
V\ V\ V/
G G

The theory being: If you have a weapon which can fire while you move with decent range, you can fire it while you advance that little bit. Since the gap is so small and you have one, maybe two full vehicle lengths protecting, any shots that come at you will have to be in essentially a straight line allowing one, maybe two shots. Meanwhile, you can fire from multiple gaps while still being protected on the sides by the LoS, and the front by the thinness in which they can fire.

And IIRC, they'll have to remove the model(s) in LoS first, meaning if they only have Heavy/Rapid-fire weapons, they can't fire back for a turn. But I'm not 100 pecent sure on this last part.

Just a thought to help the Guardsmen.
Codex: Farsight Enclaves(me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGator
The divide between what gets put up on an art gallery and what gets you thrown in jail is mostly dependent on the quality of the frame, even though both are just as good for fapping.
Tralfagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Mar 2007, 13:17   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to 33rd Sirican Redbacks

whats annoyingly cheesy is when your opponent hops into his transports and hides in a corner with his tooled up khornate army to force a draw, and just keeps moving away after hes shot all your fast units, god i hate chaos, and I play them sometimes lol