Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tank heavy flamers; a question
Old 06 Mar 2007, 19:35   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Tank heavy flamers; a question

Is there any point in putting heavy flamers on my Russ or chimeras as apposed to heavy bolter's?
Just wondering as I have never seen them used and have a fetish for flamer templates. :P
shaso_montyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Mar 2007, 19:46   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX
Default Re: Tank heavy flamers; a question

Quote:
Originally Posted by shas'o mont'yr
Is there any point in putting heavy flamers on my Russ or chimeras as apposed to heavy bolter's?
Just wondering as I have never seen them used and have a fetish for flamer templates. :P
Of course there is,

It simply depends what you're applying it too. Since you can't shoot if you move over 6", you'll have to plod along slowly to use your guns. This is why the ranged counterparts are usually taken instead. However, in some games, where LOS is limited, the heavy flamers can be a good choice. Like in Cities of Death. The goal would be a Dozer/EA/Smoke Chimera that pushes foward full speed, 12", or 18" on a straight road if possible and pop smokes. Next turn, move 6" and lay down those templates that don't require your shoddy BS3 to fire, and just start rolling the wounds (which incidentally ignore cover saves). Some folk even transport a unit inside while making that first big move with the smokes, since they won't be penetrable with smokes, and the unit can disembark next turn, go off on it's own, while the Chimera goes off on it's own.

Again though, depends how and who you're playing. But in Cities of Death, it's quite a nice little tank to add in when you don't have the points for a HellHound or if you simply must take a Chimera (like an AF squad) and want something similar to the HellHound.

Cheers,
Old 06 Mar 2007, 21:06   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Personally, I'd say your vehicles are always better off with heavy bolters. You don't ever want to deliberately move your vehicles that close to enemy forces for three reasons:
  • You'll be giving them an opportunity to fire at your side armour (or even rear) that they might not have had otherwise.
  • You're inviting an assault which can easily spell disaster with even humble krak grenades.
  • You'll likely be moving closer to melta weapons.
I'm sure there are more reasons, but these are the main ones that immediately occur to me.

A Chimera should use the terrain to block line of sight to its extremely vulnerable side armour where possible while dismounted infantry scour ruins with flamers.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Mar 2007, 22:46   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Although, if you were crazy, take a double-flamer Chimera, loaded with a 4 Flamer Command squad. 6 templates from one unit! Whoa!

It would have a heck of a time getting in range, but the sheer template spammage would be the talk of the week.
"No, you can't put a Lascannon there; the Machine God will have a tantrum and turn the universe inside out."

balistafreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Mar 2007, 05:42   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

I think I'll just make the flamers/heavy bolters on my russ interchangable.
shaso_montyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Mar 2007, 16:59   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by balistafreak
Although, if you were crazy, take a double-flamer Chimera, loaded with a 4 Flamer Command squad. 6 templates from one unit! Whoa!

It would have a heck of a time getting in range, but the sheer template spammage would be the talk of the week.
my first chim was a 2 hvy flam with smoke, stubber, HK, and armor and I never had a problem getting it into range. Combined with the 2 flamer command squad riding around in it, killed lots and lots of orks, this was in regular games, not cityfight. You just dont want to send it off by itself, I would advance a sentinel, some infantry, and a 3hb leman behind it so it wouldnt be so much at risk of being flanked and rear shot. it's not crazy, its mean. The HK and stubber are for when there's nothing in flamer range - the HK in particular was just a points filler afterthought but its still nice to have something to fire.

on the other hand, i dont think sponson mounted HF's on a Leman are at all useful since you'll never be able to overlap the templates.
Guitardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Mar 2007, 19:09   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Yeah, but in smaller games and AFTER your opponent sees what it can do...

First game:

"Oh, lol, a Junior Command Squad attacking my Necrons. Ha! Ha! Ha!"

ZOMG template ownage

"Cheese! Beardy cheese!"

Second game:

"Flamer Chimera! DIE! DIE! DIE!"

... you see my point, having trouble getting it in range.
"No, you can't put a Lascannon there; the Machine God will have a tantrum and turn the universe inside out."

balistafreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Mar 2007, 00:41   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Yep. Every trick only ever works once against an opponent. After that you just have to think about how he's going to counter that and change it to take advantage of him countering your old trick!
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote