Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Armoured Fist Squads, What makes them so fantastic?
Old 03 Mar 2007, 10:51   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to X Inferno X
Default Armoured Fist Squads, What makes them so fantastic?

Hey everyone,

I was just wondering what is so fantastic about an armoured fist squad? ???

I mean what separates them from normal guard with CC weapons? ???

thats all

Thnx ;D

It's all fun and games until the powergamer arrives.....

Formerly X Inferno X
X Inferno X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Mar 2007, 12:19   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Armoured Fist Squads, What makes them so fantastic?

I don't really understand this question. Have you got a codex or have you just heard about them from someone else? Armoured Fist squads have nothing to do with close combat, and only the Sergeant can be equipped with a pistol and close combat weapon anyway; everyone else has Lasguns. What makes them different to regular infantry platoons is that they number only ten men and must be mounted in a Chimera, whereas a single infantry platoon consists of two squads of ten men (minimum) and a command squad. Furthermore, the only way to mount infantry platoons is to take the 'Mechanised' doctrine and even then you've got to buy one for every single Guard infantry squad on the table.

Nothing's particularly 'fantastic' about them, but they're a mobile Troops choice that are cheaper than Stormies or Hardened Veterans.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Mar 2007, 18:15   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Mrgame

I do not understand this question either. Only thing that sperates them from other IG squads and platoons is that they get a chimera with out having to have the mechenised doctrine. Other then that there just a regular IG squad, only with the benefit of having some armour between them and the enemy and a well equiped APC(multilasers,heavy bolters,ect).
Also becasue they take up a troop choice without buying another platoon. This is helpful to person who is starting guard and is challeneged with money. Other then that, theres nothing fantastic about them either.
Mrgame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Mar 2007, 21:04   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to X Inferno X

Thanks a lot guys you've answered both my questions

P.S. I've heard of the Armoured fist squads but i don't have my codex yet :'(

It's all fun and games until the powergamer arrives.....

Formerly X Inferno X
X Inferno X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Mar 2007, 11:25   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to 33rd Sirican Redbacks

as tom said, anyway why waste chimeras on guardsman, dragoons (stormtroops that count as troops choices) are much better
Old 05 Mar 2007, 12:04   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33rd Sirican Redbacks
as tom said, anyway why waste chimeras on guardsman, dragoons (stormtroops that count as troops choices) are much better
I assume you mean Grenadiers? I agree with that, but if you need some cheap mobile infantry to swoop in and hunker down on an objective in the closing turn(s) then the Armoured Fist squad fits the bill. An equal numbers squad of Grenadiers would be 40 points more expensive, would fall as easily as bog-standard Guardsmen to AP4 weapons, and couldn't field a heavy weapon.

Desite that, I'd go with the Grenadiers too (it's mostly personal preference); they just make the Chimera worth it. I'd heed Redbacks' advice unless you've run out of doctrine points or it doesn't fit with your fluff. You could go for the middle ground and use Hardened Vets to fulfill the same role, but they're Elites. In short, Armoured Fist squads aren't 'fantastic', but nor are they entirely without merit.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 05 Mar 2007, 20:22   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

apart from the very abstract question, I want to share my favorite things about AF...

1. force composition... it is a neat little troop slot that doesnt take up a quarter of your deployment zone.

2. CHIMERAS ARE AWESOME

3. squad w/melta riding around in the back, dropped off at just the right spot will bust open the nastiest tanks and big supermodels with ease

4. endgame... nice to load up, drive around, and drop some little infantry grunts to claim/deny a board quarter.

i generally tool up my chims with more wargear than my lemans because i like them so much.

there's 2 good patterns IMO:

Hvy Flam hull/ Hvy Flam turret (+ armor, tackguards, smoke, stubber, rough ter. mod and a HK missile) is a sicko close assault chim with enough added weapons to multi-role as it closes)

Multilas turret/hvy bolt hull (or hvy B/hvy B depending on yer preferrence) is nice for chopping up infantry as you approach to drop a squad into cover to make a mid-board firebase.

DO's:
the squad is good with a vet sarge and/or a vox because they will be out of the leadership bubble, and if possible, give him some nifty wargear like a plaspistol or a stormbolter or Melt-bombs or something kinda-cheap but kinda surprising... also... use the AF to get MELTAGUNS into the range where they rule the board, barring that, another cute little tactic is to put an AT heavy weapon (Lascan or Misslunch) riding around in the back and firing out of the tophatch for a turn or two until they reach their destination and drop into cover to occupy a board quarter. - kind of a poor mans tankbuster.

use the chim to obstruct line of fire to the guys it drops off.

DONT's:
dont keep the squad in the chim for very long. too tempting a target. DONT extend too far away from your lines... stay in your own fire lanes so anything that wants to charge you will be shot to pieces by your static forces....

remember that the chim blocks LOS both to and from the squad and a smart guy will use that against you as much as you use it against him. this is why assauly weapons are best for an AF, since you can drop em and fire em in the same turn before he can reposition out of LOS from whatever Hvy you dropped off.

Guitardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Mar 2007, 10:01   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Why would I take an Armoured Fist Squad?

If I want another regular Infantry Squad for the line but with the benefit of a light tank to support them - if I want mobile then there are of course better ways.

[img width=650 height=30]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/Misc%2040k/awards.jpg[/img]
Col.Gravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Mar 2007, 18:02   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centurion
...another cute little tactic is to put an AT heavy weapon (Lascan or Misslunch) riding around in the back and firing out of the tophatch for a turn or two until they reach their destination and drop into cover to occupy a board quarter. - kind of a poor mans tankbuster.
Dude, this is against the rules; models firing from a moving vehicle count as moving themselves. You could do it while stationary, but they'll never reach their destination then.